Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2016 9:28:33 PM EDT
I've noticed that a lot of poeple have taken their XMs and added the old DoD Acceptance stamp on either the fromt or side of the magwell. IS there a way i can get one to add the stamp to my XM once It's complete?

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought my stamp here

http://www.dwilsonmfg.com/store/p10/Rubber_DoD_Acceptance_Stamp.html

Also I read some folks use testors white paint and let it get tacky before stamping

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The data on Retro black rifle is not entirely correct,

The majority of H&R rifles in my database used the small 1/2" DOD stamp on the right side of the magwell.

GM/Hydramatic used the large 1" DOD stamp on the right side of the magwell.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The data on Retro black rifle is not entirely correct,

The majority of H&R rifles in my database used the small 1/2" DOD stamp on the right side of the magwell.

GM/Hydramatic used the large 1" DOD stamp on the right side of the magwell.

Wpns Man
View Quote

Do you know where, and what size stamp, was used on the various models of Vietnam Colts?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The earliest non-rebuilt rifles in my data base are in the 800,XXX SN range which date to 1967. None had enough remaining of the stamps to identify size though there were remnants on the right side.

Rifles in the 4,500,XXX range from 1970 have the 1/2" stamp on the front of the magwell. So, the RBR data would appear to track with observed Colt production.

With any data like this I would add the caveat that; there were several inspectors who did this and that stamps wear out. So, overlaps of sizes can surely exist within the same SN ranges.

YMMV,  

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought my stamp here

Also I read some folks use testors white paint and let it get tacky before stamping

Hope this helps
View Quote

Cool; I have an ammo can full of Model master enamels (I do 1/35 scale armor modeling), so I should have a bottle or two of either Gloss and Flat White.

And yes, I ordered a large one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
White fingernail polish is the best.  Won't come off during cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I had John Thomas do mine when I had him do my barrel. He used  water base craft paint and he said it last a long time.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought my stamp here

Hope this helps
View Quote

I had an Armalight NM purchased at the national matches.  It was stamped on the front of the magwell.  I traded it years ago, hence my question.  How realistic is the rubber stamp at the link?  I used to be an M1 garand nut.  I know the DAS on the wood stocks were much more detailed than this stamp.  The fakes were easily identified. This stamp wouldn't pass muster on a wood stock, but I can't remember the Armalight detail.  Not trying to be rude, just learn.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Here is the one John Thomas did for me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Its my understanding that these weren't meant to last.  Many wore off once in regular use.  They were purely to show acceptance while in the factory.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
My 2 cents.  I once did a rack number on my type D buttstock, and used white testors spray paint.  Once done I realized that it was TOO damn white and looked obviously brand new.  So I buffed it off.  Testers makes many different shades and something a bit off-white would have been much better.  Wouldn't be as big a deal on a little stamp, but something to think about.  If you have a Testers paint kit already maybe mix white with a touch of brown and/or yellow.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I ended up buying the large DOD Stamp (thanks D. Wilson); waiting to refinish the rifle to add the stamp.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top