Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2016 2:37:54 PM EDT
A little background:  I had an FFL and sold at gunshows and in Shotgun News from about 1985 to 2000.  I mostly dealt in black rifle stuff and built lots of AR15s, starting in about 1988.  I bought and sold case lots of parts, magazines, barrels, and firearms.  I actually did gunshows full time, traveling the western states for four years 1988 to 1992 .  When I did the shows, I had a 12 passenger van full of tubs, duffles, and boxes I took to shows.  I finally gave up on Gunshows about 2000 when the worst of the bad Californication laws dealing with gunshows and dealers went into effect.

All right, fast forward to today: I have mentioned to some that my wife and I are finally selling our house to buy and develop a 3 acre parcel on a creek.  We have located a lease next to the property, so we are packing up and getting out so we can get house on the marked.  This week, I started the somewhat onerous project of cleaning out and packing the shop building.  

Last year I had a pleasant find in the shop, when I found a box of web gear I had in storage in the rafters, and found a bunch of Russian (Izzy and Tula) 30 round bakelites for the AK neatly stacked in the bottom of the box. Well yesterday evening I was pulling out stuff out of the rafters to go through, and came across my old USAF gear bag (sort of a duffle bag on it's side with a zipper and handles on the side.  I used this to store the gunshow table covers and  the orange table banner from back in the days of "US Armory."  The mice had gotten to the bag, covers and banner, so they were trashed.  As I was shaking the table covers out, a box fell out that was wrapped in the table covers, I opened it and found this inside, wrapped in saran wrap!  Almost 20 years later, there they were.  I thought I had sold them all off 20 years ago (I had several cases of these boxes at one time).

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool. I know I have things tucked away that I'll be surprised to come across one day, but you've been in this game a lot longer than I have! No telling what else you could turn up!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A little background:  I had an FFL and sold at gunshows and in Shotgun News from about 1985 to 2000.  I mostly dealt in black rifle stuff and built lots of AR15s, starting in about 1988.  I bought and sold case lots of parts, magazines, barrels, and firearms.  I actually did gunshows full time, traveling the western states for four years 1988 to 1992 .  When I did the shows, I had a 12 passenger van full of tubs, duffles, and boxes I took to shows.  I finally gave up on Gunshows about 2000 when the worst of the bad Californication laws dealing with gunshows and dealers went into effect.

All right, fast forward to today: I have mentioned to some that my wife and I are finally selling our house to buy and develop a 3 acre parcel on a creek.  We have located a lease next to the property, so we are packing up and getting out so we can get house on the marked.  This week, I started the somewhat onerous project of cleaning out and packing the shop building.  

Last year I had a pleasant find in the shop, when I found a box of web gear I had in storage in the rafters, and found a bunch of Russian (Izzy and Tula) 30 round bakelites for the AK neatly stacked in the bottom of the box. Well yesterday evening I was pulling out stuff out of the rafters to go through, and came across my old USAF gear bag (sort of a duffle bag on it's side with a zipper and handles on the side.  I used this to store the gunshow table covers and  the orange table banner from back in the days of "US Armory."  The mice had gotten to the bag, covers and banner, so they were trashed.  As I was shaking the table covers out, a box fell out that was wrapped in the tables, I opened it and found this inside, wrapped in saran wrap!  Almost 20 years later, there they were.  I thought I had sold them all off 20 years ago (I had several cases of these boxes at one time).

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/7pack1_zpsmgg3oiz6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/7pack1_zpsmgg3oiz6.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/7pack2_zpsworkec1p.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/7pack2_zpsworkec1p.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/7pack3_zpsbkge0jqr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/7pack3_zpsbkge0jqr.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'll take two send me the invoice. Lol nice find Bernie!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice (re)discovery!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]
What makes it really cool is two things:

One, you NEVER see these 7 packs for sale, ANYWHERE!  They are like unicorns.  There was a thread here a couple weeks ago where someone found a 7 pack locally for $140, though I don't know if it was Adventureline of Simmonds.  I think that was a great buy, at only $20 each for NOS, early mags with aluminum followers.  A few years ago, a guy on Gunbroker was selling them for something like $200+.

Two, behind enemy lines in California, I could not buy them, even if they were for sale (unless I was out of state somewhere, but that can get iffy.  CA DOJ watches gunshows in all of the neighboring states).  We are stuck with with what high capacity mags we had prior to 1-1-2000.

I also found a couple other things in the rafters:

One is a tub of old gun parts, including some Savage double barrel shotgun receivers (a 311 and an even older one), a 12 gauge double barrel (I'm not sure what from, assorted pistol grips, magazine springs, pieces of handguards and stocks, a couple old west bullet molds, and God know what else.  It was my "Junk Parts Tub."

The other is a box of magazine pouches, and web gear. Sadly, no 1956 stuff, though.  Lots of M1 Carbine double mpouches, a couple 4 cell 30 rounder, Military Browning High Power double mag pouch, 30round m16 pouches, LC belts and nylon LC suspenders, some old Military Manuals, assorted police gear, and even my old Safariland ballistic vest and PR24 baton from the SO (last used in 1998).
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One, you NEVER see these 7 packs for sale, ANYWHERE!  They are like unicorns.  There was a thread here a couple weeks ago where someone found a 7 pack locally for $140, though I don't know if it was Adventureline of Simmonds.  I think that was a great buy, at only $20 each for NOS, early mags with aluminum followers.  A few years ago, a guy on Gunbroker was selling them for something like $200+.

Two, behind enemy lines in California, I could not buy them, even if they were for sale (unless I was out of state somewhere, but that can get iffy.  CA DOJ watches gunshows in all of the neighboring states).  We are stuck with with what high capacity mags we had prior to 1-1-2000.

One is a tub of old gun parts, including some Savage double barrel shotgun receivers (a 311 and an even older one), a 12 gauge double barrel (I'm not sure what from, assorted pistol grips, magazine springs, pieces of handguards and stocks, a couple old west bullet molds, and God know what else.  It was my "Junk Parts Tub."

The other is a box of magazine pouches, and web gear. Sadly, no 1956 stuff, though.  Lots of M1 Carbine double mpouches, a couple 4 cell 30 rounder, Military Browning High Power double mag pouch, 30round m16 pouches, LC belts and nylon LC suspenders, some old Military Manuals, assorted police gear, and even my old Safariland ballistic vest and PR24 baton from the SO (last used in 1998).
View Quote

So cool! Now let me Cooy your CAR15 Draft 66 manual. Please!??
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
There's some yummy Retro goodness there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha!  I checked when I went to storage the other day.  It is a copy of the first XM177 draft, not CAR15 draft.  I believe it is earlier than the Common reprint one you see.  Next Time I go to storage, I'll pull it out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Haha!  I checked when I went to storage the other day.  It is a copy of the first XM177 draft, not CAR15 draft.  I believe it is earlier than the Common reprint one you see.  Next Time I go to storage, I'll pull it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome I'd pay to have it proffesionally reproduced and scanned. That way your original doesn't get damaged and we can share it here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Awesome I'd pay to have it professionally reproduced and scanned. That way your original doesn't get damaged and we can share it here.
View Quote
This^^^

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
1970 was a good year!
I was only 5, but had a cool tiger stripe camo flight suit  with patches :)
The apartment below us was the RVN ambassador's and the flag flew off their balcony
Thx for sharing
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I just picked up a NOS box of 7 mags identical to those last week for $130 shipped. Off of eBay. I think they might still be on there the guy had quite a few.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have mentioned to some that my wife and I are finally selling our house to buy and develop a 3 acre parcel on a creek.  We have located a lease next to the property, so we are packing up and getting out so we can get house on the marked.
View Quote

Please tell us your walking to freedom (escape from Kalifornistan the movie)
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Been still keeping my eye out for good deal on 20 rounders around but no dice. Bad thing bout this find is you can't use em. Good thing is still like new!
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#16]

And save $15 at checkout with code C15MEMDAYPARTY. Looks like it's good through Monday.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:53:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Hahaha!  I still feel lucky!  I have no idea what I gave for mine back because I bought cases of them, but I probably got $50 or more a box of 7 at gunshows back in the 90s.  I sold used 20s for $5-$7, and new for $8-$10

Actually that seems like a good buy, if the Ebay naughty items police don't shut him down.  His are 1971s, mine are 1970s. Besides, mine have "History"  They are a link to when life was simpler and gunshows were fun.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd like to have that guy's source!  Last night he was down to 9 left, then I bought one and it dropped to 8...but he must have replenished because now he's back to "more than 10" with 25 sold.
With the discount and with free shipping, that's 7 NIB, retro-era GI mags for less than $16.50 each. If the boxes are as nice as he shows and describes, that is a neat bit of retro history for a very reasonable cost.

...Though I admit, I'd prefer they were '69 dated!
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#19]
When I checked this morning, he was at 6 left. Damn! If I didn't live behind enemy lines in Kalifonication!  Oh well, I got my box of 1970s, and they have personal history going back 20 years.  Besides, with my re-found box, I have two dozen or so 30s and about the same with 70s/80s era 30s.  I need more mags like a hole in the head. I only have two ARs!
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Just cant decide whether I want to do this or not.  Just bought a pair of 601 green hand guards.  When it rains it pours!
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Thanks for posting. I got mine today and they look great. Even better with the can of XM193 from Mass Ammo that was sitting on the porch with them.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting. I got mine today and they look great. Even better with the can of XM193 from Mass Ammo that was sitting on the porch with them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for posting it EARRNHARDT3
I Got a set delivered yesterday. Very nice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#23]
No problem guys ..... Glad  I could help
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Will add my thanks as well. Received mine yesterday, very pleased!
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#25]
OK, guys, post some pictures of the ones you got from the auction.  The one in the auction picture looked like it was in mint condition.  Mine that I found is excellent, buy shows storage and handling.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#26]

crapy cell phone pictures
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#27]
More cell phone pics. They look pretty much the same as yours, Bernie. A little wear from rubbing against each other for 45 years, but that's it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Got mine today.  9/70 dated just like the ones on page 1.  VERY happy to have these to set back. I wish he'd box them to ship vs. wrapping them in just the bubble wrap envelope.  Mine did ok though.

Thanks for the heads up on these.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Been still keeping my eye out for good deal on 20 rounders around but no dice. Bad thing bout this find is you can't use em. Good thing is still like new!
View Quote

Some guy on the EE named earp is selling in lots of 10/$140 up to 50/$600 with several other quantity choices, all including shipping.  The look pretty good.  They're not mine and I don't know him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like somebody found the motherlode of 20s, and they are showing up in the market in various places!  That's a good thing.  I still feel fortunate that I found mine in the gunshow stuff (cost me nothing, at least not in the last 20 years), especially since I am behind enemy lines. I am glad, however, that there are some sources for my retro brothers to have the piece of history to go with their retros.  

I am in disbelief they they are being sold on that site, though.  Oh well, they do hold "10 rounds" though LOL!  With him having different years, they must be from "repack" cases.  In "From the factory" cases, they would be the same dates.  Also, it looks like the boxes run from pristine to signs of wear, another characteristic of the repack cases.

The 7 packs from the cases I sold at the gunshows  1989-1994ish, were from repack case.  Dates were anywhere from 1969, 1970 (like mine), 1971 and maybe 1972.  I only remember Colts and Adventurelines in the 7 packs, though.  I don't recall any Universal or Simmonds in 7 packs.  I do recall reading somewhere that Adventureline got the first contract after Colt
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Auction says he is down to his last 2..... Hurry, boys!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top