Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2016 1:58:19 PM EDT
Ater I posted pictures in the Appraisal thread, I dug a little deeper in my safe and found this upper way in the back.   I think it is one of the early 1964 604 uppers that had the cast FSB.   Can anyone verify for me?

Thanks and enjoy the photos.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Thanks a outstanding upper, man that's clean. Also rare you don't ever see them in that condition. Sweet! 63-64 MVP yes so awesome! Cast FSB your inbox is going to blow up with offers! Very very early square forge Colts with rebate under port door.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That is AWESOME!  That is the cleanest early, early 604 upper I have ever seen. Wow, great find.  That cries for a Nodak 601 or XM16E1 lower.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's a 64 it's super early. I'm leaning mid to late 63 with cast FSB?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh wow! It's beautiful!

Why can't I find stuff like this in my safe?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh wow! It's beautiful!

Why can't I find stuff like this in my safe?
View Quote

I probably bought this one and the one pictured in the Appraisal thread more than 15 years ago.  You just have to be a packrat in nature... LOL

Any ideas on the value of this.   My ability to search  is severely limited not being a "team member"   Plus there is not muc data on this era of uppers.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't put it out in this thread! I'll just put this out. I paid a little over $800 for mine that was similar with a later square forge early upper and a forged FSB. This was 4 years ago. Yours is worth more. I overpaid for my upper cause I wanted it. I remember battling folks in here on gunbroker. Riggs and me fought over it without knowing but I won! mine was just the upper. No charging handle or BCG. This is it on my early early XM16E1. If yours has a carbon steel tube it's worth even more. Is your tube dull like this one or shinier like stainless.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks BROvet

Here is another upper.  I put an 11.5" barrel on it as my first pistol.  I have always liked the slicksided uppers.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Thanks you have nice stuffs lol. That round forge is nice but not nearly as valuable as the other one. For inspiration see my pics above. I think the upper I have is worth a bit now. ugh all real but that rear sight screw. Won't someone just take my money now! Hoarders!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Gas tube is nonmagnetic on both uppers.   In fact they appear to have been replaced, with the ones that have the curve further from the slip ring.

I have learned quite a bit on retro uppers in the last couple of days.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a standard rifle length M16 gas tube. Please excuse the carbon on my parts I test fired the rifle when I got the new FCG from LL. Added some great pics. Let the envy begin! Lol! Notice the full round gas key. That's a very early chrome XM16E1 Carrier.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the comments and pm's.  I didn't realize this upper was as rare as it is: when I first found it in the safe.

I am keeping the two round receiver uppers and listed the rarer one, on an auction site, with more and better pictures

I didn't realize how many minor changes were made in the early years..

Steve
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]
What auction site?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What auction site?
View Quote

Nevermind I found it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What auction site?
View Quote

I don't think I can put a link.   I am likely pushing limits just saying it is on an auction.

Sorry mods, if too much
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like that early 604 upper.  Interesting to see it with a small pad ejection port cover.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I really like that early 604 upper.  Interesting to see it with a small pad ejection port cover.
View Quote

I believe the pad changed from square to rectangle late in the 602 run (roughly around the time the CH changed from the early triangle).  
I have an early upper with the rectangular pad and the round tang (indicating use with the "improved" charging handle).  It did not come with the original lower, unfortunately, so I don't know what roll mark that carried, but I consider it a "late 602" because it has the engraved arrow by the sight wheel.  Others have opined that it might have been on a very early 604.

Either way, it does lend some evidence to help place those two changes--rectangular pad and modern CH--around that point on the timeline: very late 02 to very early 04.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I believe the pad changed from square to rectangle late in the 602 run (roughly around the time the CH changed from the early triangle).  
I have an early upper with the rectangular pad and the round tang (indicating use with the "improved" charging handle).  It did not come with the original lower, unfortunately, so I don't know what roll mark that carried, but I consider it a "late 602" because it has the engraved arrow by the sight wheel.  Others have opined that it might have been on a very early 604.

Either way, it does lend some evidence to help place those two changes--rectangular pad and modern CH--around that point on the timeline: very late 02 to very early 04.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Very nice....
Just wondering who was lucky enough to be the new owner? I went to bed with 37 mins left on the auction and was a little surprised once I got up this morning. The actual coin didn't surprise me....I was surprised that the auction didn't start until the last 30 mins....
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very nice....
Just wondering who was lucky enough to be the new owner? I went to bed with 37 mins left on the auction and was a little surprised once I got up this morning. The actual coin didn't surprise me....I was surprised that the auction didn't start until the last 30 mins....
View Quote

What was the winning price?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#20]
A forum member bought it $1200, ouch
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Everytime I see this I want to throw up.  Back in the 90's I traded and HK93 for 3 handguns. A NIB Python, a NIB Colt Trooper in 22 and a NIB Beretta 92 Elite

Ended up trading the Trooper for a 4 digit Colt AR.  I am, and have alway been, a bore whore.  If the bore isn't bright and shiney I lose interest.  Since the early Colts didn't have the Chrome lined barrel there was a slight bit of pitting at the gas port.

Other than that the gun was almost flawless. Probably had less than 100 rounds through it.  Got rid of it for $800.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A forum member bought it $1200, ouch
View Quote

Seems about right with the cast FSB and very very early upper.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Very nice....
View Quote

Good morning!!  I was surprised that "mstagg" who seemed so interested in this upper didn't throw his hat into the ring a few days ago. Perhaps that person didn't see it until last night but I placed the opening bid in on her last Thursday morning. $1200 was my top and I was going to give up but he gave up first. I figured $600 for a M VP barrel with a cast FSB is fair and $600 for that upper is OK also.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good morning!!  I was surprised that "mstagg" who seemed so interested in this upper didn't throw his hat into the ring a few days ago. Perhaps that person didn't see it until last night but I placed the opening bid in on her last Thursday morning. $1200 was my top and I was going to give up but he gave up first. I figured $600 for a M VP barrel with a cast FSB is fair and $600 for that upper is OK also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice....

Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Congrats!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice....

Congrats!

Thanks. She'll eventually be resting on an older Nodak partial fence lower made from 6061 with dimpled take down pins, dimpled selector and transitional bolt release.  She'll get an early bend gas tube, the no drain hole handguards I have and I'll see how she looks with a C stock. One would think that very, very early 604's could have still been wearing C's. If not I have a good stash of D's.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Congrats!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice....

Congrats!

Congrats....
I'm glad someone here got it. I watched it through out, I started to bid myself due to the lack of bidding, once I seen your bid revision I figured it take at least a grand. I had contacted the seller as well and he couldn't tell me bore condition. I was more interested in the barrel than I was the receiver, due to already having a twin 604 receiver.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Congrats....
I'm glad someone here got it. I watched it through out, I started to bid myself due to the lack of bidding, once I seen your bid revision I figured it take at least a grand. I had contacted the seller as well and he couldn't tell me bore condition. I was more interested in the barrel than I was the receiver, due to already having a twin 604 receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice....

Congrats!

Congrats....

I think that's a very reasonable price. Both you and the seller should be happy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I am very pleased with the final price.  I was a little concerned when, at an hour left, the bid was still at the starting amount, but I have enough experience on GB to know that often the bidding doesn't stat until the last hour.

I was hoping for $1000, but was surprised as it continued well past that.

Thanks Tazaroo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am very pleased with the final price.  I was a little concerned when, at an hour left, the bid was still at the starting amount, but I have enough experience on GB to know that often the bidding doesn't stat until the last hour.

Thanks Tazaroo.
View Quote

Your welcome!  For the record.....these kind of auctions always give me an adrenaline dump. I almost went through a whole 6 pick between 1030 and 1125 central time last night as the auction was ending.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your welcome!  For the record.....these kind of auctions always give me an adrenaline dump. I almost went through a whole 6 pick between 1030 and 1125 central time last night as the auction was ending.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Tazaroo.

For the record, the other bidder's final bid was also $1200, so you both felt that was the value of the upper.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Congrats....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice....

Congrats!

Congrats....

The seller, stevec223 informed me via email and posted the answer on the auction that, "The bore is is good condition, with no pitting and distinct rifling. The bore may be lightly frosted, but nothing bad, just not mirror bright."  In my experience some time with some copper remover, put a few rounds down the tube to loosen up anything old followed up with JB Bore paste and Kroil and wonders will happen.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The seller, stevec223 informed me via email and posted the answer on the auction that, "The bore is is good condition, with no pitting and distinct rifling. The bore may be lightly frosted, but nothing bad, just not mirror bright."  In my experience some time with some copper remover, put a few rounds down the tube to loosen up anything old followed up with JB Bore paste and Kroil and wonders will happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice....

Congrats!

Congrats....

He had asked if the rifling was "strong"  I don't think it qualifies as strong, but said it was distinct.   I always try to slightly under represent rather than over state the condition.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top