Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2016 12:55:45 AM EDT
Having a hard time finding a slick side.  I guess my second choice would be A1 w/FA, anything better than Brownell's A1?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Fulton Armory has slick sides but they are not original. I think it is the best bet if you can't find one just using one of theirs. I thought about getting one and making a slick slide rifle in the future.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I checked fulton and didn't see them, I have brought shame on my retro family!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#3]
NoDak Spud, LLC.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends how what you're building. If you're using a typical modern lower you'll need the Brownells upper since it's black.

I have a black A1 that has a Brownells A1 upper (which is a NDS casting) on a black NDS A1 profiled lower.

My other A1 is a M16A1 parts kit build so the upper was gray. I used a NDS gray A1 lower on that one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They still have them. Go to Fulton's website and search for part # FA-AU-167
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Do they have an "NDS" or other forge code on their uppers?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do they have an "NDS" or other forge code on their uppers?
View Quote

Are you talking about Fulton or Nodak?   Nodak Spud has "NDS" cast in the recess under the rear sight.  Fulton's uppers have a "C" cast there, but they don't claim that it is a Colt part.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Having a hard time finding a slick side.  I guess my second choice would be A1 w/FA, anything better than Brownell's A1?
View Quote

You could always use an SP1 upper.  Those are around.  Guys are parting those out like crazy because of the retro craze right now.  You just have to get a bushing for the pivot pin hole.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a Fulton  604 upper.  It had C and Splintered A forge codes: Anchor Harvey Aluminum for Colt.  I have read they were overruns when USAF switched to flat top M4s.

I LOVE my Fulton 604 upper!  It has a black finish, so it matches current A2 lowers.  Slick Side is beautiful.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#10]
As imarangemaster said, Fulton has on sale now.

Gunnysurplus sells the same one, for $10. more...with no disclosure.

Nice part from Fulton!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You could always use an SP1 upper.  Those are around.  Guys are parting those out like crazy because of the retro craze right now.  You just have to get a bushing for the pivot pin hole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was one in the EE yesterday for 160 with port door,. looked clean.
I was gonna say something but didnt
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#13]
If I was going to "build" and original 604, I use everything original except I'd use an appropriate NDS lower (I'd go with 601 lower).  However, that costs more than I can justify at this point.  I really want a "replica" 604, made from new parts, since it will cost half of the real deal on a NDS lower.  My 1/9 twist pencil barrel was about half of what an original is running now, and I had an extra Anderson A2 lower.

If I had the money and patience, I would have gone with an NDS 601 lower and 604 upper.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you still can't find it here's the link, they are on sale right now.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/upperreceivera1usginofanocd.aspx
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys, ordering the Fulton Armory.  Why does nobody have A1 sight parts anymore?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Windham weaponry has rear sight kits.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, member Boywonder777 has some Colt A1 rear sight kits on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, ordering the Fulton Armory.  Why does nobody have A1 sight parts anymore?
View Quote

You will love the Fulton upper.  I am actually glad I got the new Fulton instead of a beat up SP1 upper.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

$40 for $15 parts
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

$40 for $15 parts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$40 for $15 parts

Where?  I haven't seen $15 for real NOS Colt M16A1 rear sight kits in probably 10 years!  A couple outfits like DPMS had reproduction ones in the $25 rangeback before the Retro Rage.  I got a set from Boywonder for my Prototype, and it was mint Colt for $40.  It is like triangular handguards, A1 pistol grips, and Type D & E stocks.  There is a finite pool of parts.  Triangular handguards and A1 rear sight sets  have not been made by Colt since 1984 or 1985 - 32 years ago.

EDITED:  In fact, I paid $15 to $20 for A1 sight sets back in the late 80s when I started doing builds.....
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Slim has the rear site kits at Indian Army Surplus. I think they are 18-20 bucks. I just sold an extra set that I had. This slick side thread has me thinking I should have kept the parts lol. It would be a seventh rifle. I'm going to be living in a cave is the BRD continues.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Slim has the rear site kits at Indian Army Surplus. I think they are 18-20 bucks. I just sold an extra set that I had. This slick side thread has me thinking I should have kept the parts lol. It would be a seventh rifle. I'm going to be living in a cave is the BRD continues.
View Quote

I thought he was out.  Good info, thanks. His prices are the exception, rather than the rule, though. No sour grapes here, though, as my rear sight set on the 604 is NOS, rather than used.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
there seems to be an un-ending need for the A1 sights. When Sarco had them a few weeks ago for $20 they sold out in 1 day. I managed to get a couple sets but they were blued not parked.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
there seems to be an un-ending need for the A1 sights. When Sarco had them a few weeks ago for $20 they sold out in 1 day. I managed to get a couple sets but they were blued not parked.
View Quote

I agree it was one of the first parts I went on the hunt of when I started this insane crazy disease that we call Black Rifle Disease. I wonder someone doesn't produce these now that we have Nodak and Brownells and Fulton Armory selling A1 style uppers. You would think there would be a need there and not a hard part to tool.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Where?  I haven't seen $15 for real NOS Colt M16A1 rear sight kits in probably 10 years!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$40 for $15 parts

Where?  I haven't seen $15 for real NOS Colt M16A1 rear sight kits in probably 10 years!  

Didn't realize they were genuine Colt.  I was referring to the DPMS parts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I knew Sarco, Gun Parts (Numrich), APEX, Charley's, Fulton, DPMS have all been out.  I do think Slim was out for a time, as when I was doing the prototype upper earlier this year, I tried him but he didn't have any extras at the time.  I got one from Lionel (Boywonder777).
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree it was one of the first parts I went on the hunt of when I started this insane crazy disease that we call Black Rifle Disease. I wonder someone doesn't produce these now that we have Nodak and Brownells and Fulton Armory selling A1 style uppers. You would think there would be a need there and not a hard part to tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was thinking the same thing.  Brownell's carries the DPMS kit but apparently sell out quick.  Brownell's needs a better or alternate supply.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link for slim?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Here you go.  They do phone orders, and Slim is their retro parts guy. You have to call in your order on retro parts. Slim is a really nice guy, and very accommodating.
http://www.indianaarmysurplus.com/
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got a Fulton  604 upper.  It had C and Splintered A forge codes: Anchor Harvey Aluminum for Colt.  I have read they were overruns when USAF switched to flat top M4s.

I LOVE my Fulton 604 upper!  It has a black finish, so it matches current A2 lowers.  Slick Side is beautiful.

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/604%20upper_zpscijq3yew.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/604%20upper_zpscijq3yew.jpg</a>
View Quote

What's on the grip ??
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What's on the grip ??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/604%20upper_zpscijq3yew.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/604%20upper_zpscijq3yew.jpg</a>

What's on the grip ??

USAF seal inlay
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#32]
USAF seal inlay

The grip is the only remaining vestige of a USAF Vietnam comparative GAU-5/A/A project I was co-partner in 1989.  I had both an FFL in CA under "Foothills Enterprises" and a Manufacturer's license in Sparks Nevada under the business name "US Armory".  We had a machinist, Milling equipment and Martin Murrieta A1 Lower forgings.  We were using reworked A1 barrels, shortened to about 13.5 inch and a custom made moderator (identical copy of an original that a guy in Nevada had) blind pinned on for 16.1".  We had a good source for 604 and SP1 uppers, and original Colt 6 hole handguards.  We used original CAR aluminum on the prototypes, but a source for the stocks was problematic.  We did have aluminum aftermarket lined up, and were working on get vinyl acetate coating on them.

Two prototypes and three display cases were made for photo ops and pre-advertising.  Just as we were gearing up to do a first run, Patrick Purdy shot up a school yard in Stockton CA with an AK.  Though most of the people he killed with point blank pistol shots, i immediately prompted the Roberti-Roos Assault weapon ban. CA DOJ (since we were actually based out of Soda Springs, CA) and BATF basically told us not to bother. going into production.

One prototype is still existent in the hands of my former partner, but the other one  (the one I had) was stolen by the machinist (who was actually in effect a silent partner) who "borrowed it one day, then claimed it was stolen....

I still have two of the three display cases.  One has no glass front and was short for the GAU, and the other was longer, so a standard length AR15 would fit.

HEre it is with my 602 build I did a few years ago.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm not on here as much as I used to be. I was wondering what was going on with the 604 uppers.  I sold one on GB last month for over $300, and it was kind of beat. I felt so guilty I sent the guy some furniture for free. Maybe it's time to unload some of the stuff I've been hoarding. Hahaha.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#34]
That's a neat display case set-up.  Well done!  Too bad about the timing...
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm not on here as much as I used to be. I was wondering what was going on with the 604 uppers.  I sold one on GB last month for over $300, and it was kind of beat. I felt so guilty I sent the guy some furniture for free. Maybe it's time to unload some of the stuff I've been hoarding. Hahaha.
View Quote

VAAR yes please do unload I know you have some really cool
stuff. You have caused much retro envy over the years by posting your pics.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Somebody needs to make the sights again.  I finally found a set last week on Amherst Depot.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#37]
A few weeks ago I was able to piece together a complete A1 rear sight assembly (all seven parts) from picking through the online Numrich catalog.  I don't believe they have the windage drum any longer, but the other pieces should be available, especially since some of the parts are also A2 compatible.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top