Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 10:26:52 PM EDT
I'm thinking GM with forge flashing on front and rear but I always confuse with H&R.  Local funshow phone pics.  Shame this one was Bubba'd for a large pin lower. A-2 HG's. Guy didn't believe me when I told him it wasn't a Colt.  Said MP with C at FH,  the C was for Colt.  Probably same moron who Bubba'd it up.  Had a Colt SP-1 carrier in it,  un-shrouded FP AR-15 and bolt was greenish but I couldn't see any markings and only dug so far.

Price was $499  Apologies for crap phone pics.

One I kinda wanted as right up my alley but never looked at BCG as it had a hideous low tier barrel on it and receivers are only worth but so much.  Early square forge 604 receiver with wrong port door although I have a NOS correct door and if barrel had been a Colt I would probably have taken it home.  Price was also $499. First retro uppers I'd seen at local funshow in a few years and thought I'd share.

Probably had haggle room.  No affiliation but was a local central Virginia dealer / Liberty Firearms, www.liberty-firearms.com, if one was interested. I doubt seriously they were sold as it was kinda late when I checked out.

Guy was nice enough to let me take a couple of pics.  If GM / H&R had the correct BCG in it it would have gone home with me and I'd have spent a time / labor fixing the drilled out front pin. and added it to the collection.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
604 upper looks to be in good shape, I have one of similar vintage but it's beat.

Shame about the GM upper
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
It was nicer than mine too except for the barrel.  Thought about doing some parts swapping just couldn't make the the economics work even figuring $250 for the upper.  Still trying to figure the why's on that pair.  BCG looking from bottom was parked. I did get a little excited when I saw the flashing on one then the square forge receiver on the other.  Then as I started focusing depression started setting in.  Did fine a few no tics and a couple dimple pins later on and sold some service rifle pieces.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
A little knowledge can be dangerous.  I meet people all the time who don't believe there were any differences in AR 's / M16's. They think I'm crazy if I try to explain the differences.
I knew exactly what you meant when you said the guy wouldn't believe you that it was a GM / HR.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little knowledge can be dangerous.  I meet people all the time who don't believe there were any differences in AR 's / M16's. They think I'm crazy if I try to explain the differences.
I knew exactly what you meant when you said the guy wouldn't believe you that it was a GM / HR.
View Quote

I think it is the same people who SWEAR that "Mattel" made M16's
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting that, it is always fun to see this stuff.  The front and rear forging flash upper is square forge above the port door.  The color of the upper and slip ring look gray in your picture, was there a color cast?  Were they the same color or slightly different?

Quoted:
I'm thinking GM with forge flashing on front and rear but I always confuse with H&R.  Local funshow phone pics.  Shame this one was Bubba'd for a large pin lower. A-2 HG's. Guy didn't believe me when I told him it wasn't a Colt.  Said MP with C at FH,  the C was for Colt.  Probably same moron who Bubba'd it up.  Had a Colt SP-1 carrier in it,  un-shrouded FP AR-15 and bolt was greenish but I couldn't see any markings and only dug so far.
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/new%20image%201_zps6kiiwdsg.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/FSB_zpsyvihpbwn.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/New%20Image%20II_zpsqlkvfdgv.jpg

Price was $499  Apologies for crap phone pics.

One I kinda wanted as right up my alley but never looked at BCG as it had a hideous low tier barrel on it and receivers are only worth but so much.  Early square forge 604 receiver with wrong port door although I have a NOS correct door and if barrel had been a Colt I would probably have taken it home.  Price was also $499. First retro uppers I'd seen at local funshow in a few years and thought I'd share.
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/New%20Image_zpsvwcwmijd.jpg

Probably had haggle room.  No affiliation but was a local central Virginia dealer / Liberty Firearms, www.liberty-firearms.com, if one was interested. I doubt seriously they were sold as it was kinda late when I checked out.

Guy was nice enough to let me take a couple of pics.  If GM / H&R had the correct BCG in it it would have gone home with me and I'd have spent a time / labor fixing the drilled out front pin. and added it to the collection.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
The front and rear forging flash upper is square forge above the port door. The color of the upper and slip ring look gray in your picture, was there a color cast? Were they the same color or slightly different?

Bob.  They didn't appear to be arsenal refinished.  Dry film lube did cross my mind possibly at some point in life but I'd say original more grey than black.  Was real close to 604 in color and I was originally hoping square forge Colt when I saw the MP between the FSB legs.  It was funshow dogged down with zippies and I got him to cut it loose.  When I saw the C stamp at FH my excitement started to dwindle but got an uplift with the forge flashing and stamp / pad on FSB.  Pulled the BCG and CH and BCG had been swapped out.  CH was typical commercial, carrier was C stamp AR-15 / SP-1.  I didn't pull bolt but had a magnifier and didn't see any markings.  May have been stamped below carrier and I forgot to look at lugs for reliefs.  GM / H & R receiver looked un messed with except for drilled out re-bate with bushing included but we never know 45 years down the road.  HG's were A-2 and didn't look at barrel nut obviously which teeth usually tell the story.  I was thinking how much time I'd have in it repairing pivot lug and if I could get the pair for $700ish I would still have had a lot of time in it if I could make it work.  Really needed to be at $700 or possiblyseller would keep the crap BCG's but they were in them for a reason like" get my selling  price"  IMO.

The 604 definitely had some major parts swapping going on.  604 was pretty shiney in a couple places and I really wanted it to be 602 but just couldn't wish it to be.  604's generally catch my eye and I'm just going off memory but barrel appeared to be some kinda unmarked ported rubbish.  For some odd reason set screw type FH comes to mind but I knew I'd was going to have a hard time unloading and I didn't want it in my house.  Probably same with seller.  Had Colt sale tags all over them and actually very little was Colt besides the A-2 HGs, carrier and 604 receiver IMO.  Possibly the slip ring on the 604.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top