BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2016 9:35:20 AM EDT
I have the bug to build a 1911 WW2/Vietnam clone.
I picked up a forged 80% 1911 frame and a Sarco GI parts kit.
If you had a to choose a 1911, what one would build?
I will be doing the engravings on the frame and slide.
I would have posted this in the 1911 but i trust in my retro AR 15 friends for the best info.

thanks John
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Ithaca Frame Remington slide

Or go all the way and clone a Singer
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Remington Rand.

Does the slide have the hideous flare cut on the ejection port? Not that there is anything wrong with the cut, it's just out of place on a G.I. clone.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I know a source for original rem. Slides
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ithaca Frame Remington slide

Or go all the way and clone a Singer
View Quote

Singer!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Sounds like a great Project.

SINGER   ser# 501

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Union Switch and Signal
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to agree. If going with an 80% why not do one of the more unique 1911A1s?

I'd go either Singer or US&S.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have the bug to build a 1911 WW2/Vietnam clone.
I picked up a forged 80% 1911 frame and a Sarco GI parts kit.
If you had a to choose a 1911, what one would build?
I will be doing the engravings on the frame and slide.
I would have posted this in the 1911 but i trust in my retro AR 15 friends for the best info.

thanks John
View Quote

No difference between a WWII, Vietnam or First Gulf War M1911A1.  Last M1911A1s were purchased in 1945.  There could have been some ANAD rebuild markings on the frame at later dates.

CD
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Union Switch and Signal

View Quote
This^^^

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This^^^

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Union Switch and Signal
This^^^

I would suggest Remington Rand or Ithaca. These were more common as were the Colts. The Union Switch & Signal and the Singer were produced in limited numbers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I say stay away from the US&S unless you want to do an arsenal rebuild as Du-lite is a pain to try and find somebody to do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the slide is cut on the ejection port, so i could weld up or do a rebuild of some kind.
I should have the parts kit by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]
This is going to be a fun and interesting project. I love 1911's.

How common were 1911's in Vietnam? How many soldiers would have been issued a sidearm?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Very very common. Officers, machine gunners, medics, motarman, etc were issued 1911s.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very very common. Officers, machine gunners, medics, motarman, etc were issued 1911s.
View Quote

Very interesting. Did a rifleman get issued one? Or was it something that if they wanted they had to acquire on their own?

Now that I am thinking about it, what about in WWII? I know officers and tankers had them. I have a book about the 1911's I really need to read it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Very interesting. Did a rifleman get issued one? Or was it something that if they wanted they had to acquire on their own?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell no, not riflemen.  But there were plenty of them floating around that they were easily available.  The trick was, holding onto one.  Most units frowned upon privates having a pistol and would confiscate on sight.  Even for junior NCO's it was problematic, many places.  

Somewhat different story for aviation units, advisors, that sort of thing, of course.  But you said, "rifleman".
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh hell no, not riflemen.  But there were plenty of them floating around that they were easily available.  The trick was, holding onto one.  Most units frowned upon privates having a pistol and would confiscate on sight.  Even for junior NCO's it was problematic, many places.  

Somewhat different story for aviation units, advisors, that sort of thing, of course.  But you said, "rifleman".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I was just wondering if a rifleman would have had one in Vietnam. I'm guessing WWII would have been somewhat the same. How about Korea?

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#18]

How about Korea?

View Quote

Sorry, I have no clue about that one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Now that I am thinking about it, what about in WWII? I know officers and tankers had them. I have a book about the 1911's I really need to read it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In most all cases, NCOs (mostly Sgt. and above) and officers were the only ones to be issued 1911s. There were some exceptions as in the case of Tank crews and military police. In Vietnam, it was primarily SNCOs (SSgt and above) and officers. Some Sgts may have been issued them depending on their leadership position. During WWII, most everyone who was issued a 1911, was also issued a Thompson M1A1. Tankers were also issued M3 Grease Guns.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#20]
My dad was an M60 gunner (left the Army in '62) and was issued a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I've done a few Sarco 1911 builds into retros sans any engraving - even did one in 9mm.
I learned a lot about building and fittng a 1911.  Its not that bad - have some quality files at the ready .  Get the plunger tube installation tool at Brownells and grip escutcheon tap

If you want an original look of a retro slide, Fusion makes a replica slide (non-lowered GI port)  Sarco has decent slides.but they are lowered port - better for reliable ejection, but not authentic look.  Or shop for a USGI slide.  The Sarco slide is close to a GI look, and function fine.

Fusion Retro 1911 Slide

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Cast Forged or Billet?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I totally cheated to scratch the classing M1911A1 itch and just grabbed an Auto Ordnance repro. However, unlike myself, you have the skills and tools to build one yourself.

I don't think I know enough about M1911 variants to chime in, but I still want to see how this turns out!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

SINGER   ser# 501

View Quote

I like this one!

They say that out of the 500 1911's originally manufactured by Singer, thousands of them still exist!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#26]
For me it would be a mundane Remington Rand, since that's what I had in VN.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was one hand-me-down like that in my unit. I paid $25 for it when a guy left, then "sold" it to the next guy when I left. There were areas where we weren't supposed to take our rifles (), so I liked have something under my jungle jacket just in case.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Union Switch and Signal
View Quote

My vote as well. I was first issued a US&S and later an Ithica as an MP in Germany '73-'76. I always liked the Union Switch & Signal logo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There was one hand-me-down like that in my unit. I paid $25 for it when a guy left, then "sold" it to the next guy when I left. There were areas where we weren't supposed to take our rifles (), so I liked have something under my jungle jacket just in case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight, "just in case".

The going rate in my A.O., Strela, was $25 for any kind of 38 revolver and $50 for a 45 Auto.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Need more pics in this thread.

Not USGI, but it's been mine for 25 years.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1911A12.jpg
View Quote

Had one almost just like her..
Had to sell as a broke assed PFC..
Still kick myself for that.
Feed anything you put in her. Grouped pretty well at 25 yards with ball for such small sights..
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Well here is the scoop.
I got the parts kit and the slide ejection port was cut , i am not going to use it.
I did manage to find a really nice Remington Rand slide for a fair price. I should have it early next week,
From the pictures it's blued and appears to be a type 3 slide.
I will post some pics when it shows up.
All the part in the kit are black, they will be sand blasted and parkerized .
If anyone has some good pics of a Remington Rand 1911's please pass them on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Need more pics in this thread.

Not USGI, but it's been mine for 25 years.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1911A12.jpg
View Quote

Here you go Mike. These are mine.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I've shown this one before in the Retro handguns thread. It's a hand me down from my FIL, who bought it for a whopping $17.00 delivered when I was still in diapers.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The going rate in my A.O., Strela, was $25 for any kind of 38 revolver and $50 for a 45 Auto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where and when? I was at Phubai in northern I Corp, 68-69.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I actually did a Colt M1911A1 clone.  I found all the surplus small parts and installed them in a Colt M1991A1 frame and purchased a surplus M1911A1 slide off of eBay.  Minus the skateboard tape on the front strap, it's about as close to an original I'm going to get without investing a lot of $$$ for the real thing.  Shown with my M-1911A1 clone is an Israeli police surplus Browning MK II Hi-Power I picked up recently.....

h
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Where and when? I was at Phubai in northern I Corp, 68-69.
View Quote

72-73 at several places, last of which was Camp Holloway at Pleiku, whilst waiting for Kissinger to say uncle.  Strange days, very crazy, G.I.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a few

Let me know what you want to see and an email and I will help you out. Also, coolgunsite.com is a wealth of information.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone have sources for engraving a blank slide or 80% 1911 frame?

ETA

Doah!  google helped me out

1911 retro engraving
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Well damn it!

Now you got me wanting to do a MEUSOC clone with a properly engraved frame.

I've been wanting to do one for a while but haven't found a suitable frame for a price I was willing to pay.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Wish I could have "lost" mine in Afghanistan end of 14'  Property book price is only $54.17 IIRC.  All Remington-Rands still on USASOCs books.  Course the one I had is the bottom, cocked and locked on a live round, just out of the holster for the group photo.  Managed to carry on in Haiti in 95', Iraq in 03-08' and Astan 14'.

CD
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#41]
As an MP I carried a best to hell and back Remington Rand.
Then we transitioned over to the M-9s.
The Berettas were tighter but I always felt weird not having a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#42]

I got the slide today.
Time to finish the frame and do the engravings.
More pics to come.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://<a href="http://s890.photobucket.com/user/braceyourself/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160528_171117207.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac103/braceyourself/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160528_171117207.jpg</a>
http://<a href="http://s890.photobucket.com/user/braceyourself/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160528_171052599.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac103/braceyourself/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160528_171052599.jpg</a>
I got the slide today.
Time to finish the frame and do the engravings.
More pics to come.
View Quote

Keep 'em coming!

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#44]
My Colt on a Foster Industries 1911 frame...

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://www.fototime.com/40CE18C5E4890D7/large.jpg
View Quote

Sweet. Love the classic look.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#46]

I had a  little time today when i got home from work and did a little engraving.
I still have some more to do.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Does that SN have any significance?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Its my DOB.Month,year,day
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Lookin good John.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

http://www.fototime.com/40CE18C5E4890D7/large.jpg
View Quote

Props to Foster for getting the frontstrap correct....that is the FIRST thing everyone else screws up.  Drives me nuts!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top