Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It appears to be the rerelease of the 1903 Pocket Hammerless all over again.

Keep the price high, don't sell as many as there's demand for...

Make the price higher than it cost to get one before they did the rerelease.

You can buy minty 1903's for less than a new rerelease, for example.

Including the tax stamp and two rounds of engraving (once for NFA once for the pony logo) I'm not over $1,300 on my XM177E2 clone and I built that during the sky-prices of the first Obamascarepanic.

DIY is still viable (and to many preferable).
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool, but like other re-issues in life, I'll believe it when I see it.  Strangely I have zero interest in buying one, but for the sake of the retro crowd, I hope they are exact in detail and meet expectations.  I'm interested in seeing how they pull the 602 off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I won't say exactly what the the prices I was quoted were at but it was closer to 3k than 2k.

View Quote

I had hoped to buy the 603-reissue to sit next to my SP1, but not for that kinda money.  At that level, I'd prefer to save a bit longer and get an AR-10 on a Telco or other receiver.......
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I was there. How the hell did I miss this?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I'm betting against things like:

1.  Early bend gas tube
2.  No drain hole handguards
3.  Cast FSB on 602 clone
4.  MP marked bolt
5.  Fat head or flat head firing pin
6.  Unmarked bolt carrier with large FPRP hole on R.H. side
7.  Early or transitional bolt catch
8.  Square forge upper receiver
9.  Early or transitional receiver extension
10. Type C stock on 602 clone
11. Edgewater action spring guide
12. etc…

…being used on these clones.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:30:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Straight from the horses mouth, no plans to offer a 601.

He said the only models they intend to offer are the ones that were US property marked.

Prices will be well north of $2000. He also said that it will be a limited run on every model and all of the tooling will go into storage.

The XM carbines have 12.2 inch barrels and pinned 4.5" moderators.

They spent over $100,000 just on the tooling to make the furniture.

The 609 SBR will if goes as planned, have a booster inside the moderator like those on the AKS74u Krinkov to aid in the back pressure and help reliability without enlarging the gas port.

They can't decide if they will use a 1/12 twist or a 1/9 twist. They are thinking maybe they will offer both, but they aren't sure. They are very very early into the project.

A Hydramatic is also planned.
View Quote

Good I need a lower for my XM177 upper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:34:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Too much Colt goodness coming out. You got these and Colt Canada is releasing 4 MMR versions. http://www.coltcanada.com/mrr.html I'm going to go broke.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Well since I had a few original XM 177e2's back in the day, with a host of other's {and now long sold off over 30 year's}this would be great to buy again for 2 grand or 3 grand.I will believe it when I can hand someone the cash and they deliver one..I ordered a Troy model when they took order's and cancelled as soon as they changed up the logo on the mag well.{prototype had no Troy logo on it at all}

so this is good news and I got excited again about AR'S/ Now will just put on back burner till somebody states hey take my cash its here.I did the same with the German MP-44'S When they arrived. and the MP-38'S from Germany, and both sold out and flopped for further import's.> and the new American one doe's nothing for me.  it is good to read all the post's on this. for me now a little downer, like hurry hurry and WAIT!

we will let you know 2017, or maybe later.
I would order 4 or 5 if it would make orders move faster.but I don't think that will be the case.

will follow it closely, and HOPE.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, as much as I would like one of these at close to 3K im out...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
You can get an original WW2 M1 Carbine in excellent condition for the price the "New Inland" charges for their M1 Carbine reproductions!  Their first year of production was fraught with problems" poor QC and soft bolts that were actually having the lugs deform and "smush".

Also, originals have forged receivers, bolts, slides and trigger guards.  The New Inland use cast parts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish they would ramp up SAA production. Colt rep at the NRA show told me they make about five per day.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was it confirmed to be about $3000?
I haven't seen any video of them saying it will be $3000.

Let's hope they can keep it $2k...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wish they would ramp up SAA production. Colt rep at the NRA show told me they make about five per day.  
View Quote

15 years ago, Colt was cranking out 1873 Single action Army revolvers like crazy, because of the rapid growth of Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS.  I am a SASS life member, having joined in 1994.  I was a staff writer for SASS's Cowboy Chronicle magazine (under my Alias "Tuolumne Lawman") for about 20 years, doing the majority of their firearms evaluations.  In the period of 2000 to 2005, the growth of SASS was through the roof. (there were only about 6,000 members when I joined in 1994), then they got to well over 100,000 world wide in its hay day in 2005.   The crash of 2007 caused a glut of CAS shooters selling off their toys, and by 2012, the bottom totally fell out.  Colt and others dropped production levels in response to the demise.  Now, Cowboy Action Shooting has priced itself out of its remaining popularity, with a replica 1873 Winchester costing $1500, and Ruger Vaqueros $800-$900 each!

BTW, Beretta buying out Uberti was a disaster!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was never $2000. I said "well north of $2000."

I heard it from the man himself, he gave me a more specific number but it's early in he project so I'll refrain from saying exactly.

Let me reiterate: They should be well over $2000 but less than $3000.

He also said no dimpled parts, I forgot to mention that before.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I heard it from the man himself, he gave me a more specific number but it's early in he project so I'll refrain from saying exactly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thank you for the information.
A lot of us want those delicious Colt Retro AR rifles.... and they know it... I think I will still consider it if they are under $2500
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I  am hoping whomever you have to order from will soon take orders and a deposit.thanks for the info guy's I know its still a early stage yet.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I had hoped to buy the 603-reissue to sit next to my SP1, but not for that kinda money.  At that level, I'd prefer to save a bit longer and get an AR-10 on a Telco or other receiver.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I won't say exactly what the the prices I was quoted were at but it was closer to 3k than 2k.

I looked the other day, and my old AR-10 with an H & H receiver was for sale on Sturmgewehr.  It was only $5K - I guess I sold it way too cheap when I sold it a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I hate to be THAT guy, but I will by asking the following:

For the sake of integrity in the retro world where it's already been mentioned regarding those that want era made parts, any "repop" parts that are made to original specs, will they be marked in a discreet fashion to identify them as "repop"?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#19]
IF for sale in California, if the AR15 won't be banned by then, I'm in for several ones of these.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For the sake of integrity in the retro world where it's already been mentioned regarding those that want era made parts, any "repop" parts that are made to original specs, will they be marked in a discreet fashion to identify them as "repop"?
View Quote

QFT

Que "He is right you know" meme
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I asked the dude at the NRA show and he said "no, because then they wouldnt be an accurate copy"
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
These rifles do have a distinguishing mark. It's the "V" serial number suffix.
View Quote

I believe he was talking about the individual parts, and not the receiver
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they are being produced by Colt, or under license from Colt, they ARE NOT repops, they are originals. Like it or not. They are under no obligation to differentiate them from 1960's production.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#26]
It was my understanding that the process used for the vinyl acetate coating was banned by the EPA, so there will have to be differences in the new products if that's true.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If they are being produced by Colt, or under license from Colt, they ARE NOT repops, they are originals. Like it or not. They are under no obligation to differentiate them from 1960's production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I was referring to individual parts.

regarding the bold, I think "original Colt reproduction" would be a better fitting phrase.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was my understanding that the process used for the vinyl acetate coating was banned by the EPA, so there will have to be differences in the new products if that's true.
View Quote

I was thinking I had heard that before too. If that is true here in the U.S. there is a lays the possibility of Mexico. That is where good rechroming of car restoration parts takes place. I heard no one say that......just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think I will still consider it if they are under $2500
View Quote

If they list for, say, $2700, the street price might be a few hundred less.  Unless they only become available factory-direct.  Even then, if they sell like hotcakes, they might extend the production, and the prices should come down after a couple/few years.  Of course there's also the possibilty that a year from now semi-auto rifles are completely banned nationwide, or there's another half-ass cosmetic ban of flashhiders, bayo lugs, pistol grips, etc.  Ugh.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#30]
So the price is pretty much confirmed... How about release time?
Is it any time soon?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I got so excited about waiting I went out and found a five digit mint cond original {1973 production} SP-1 and bought it.

Sure sure I know its not a 64 /65 model.sold that one over 30 years ago.But it kind of takes me back to a good time. And its retro alright.1973 original retro.

Still going to buy a XM177E2 when they get around to taking orders for them. But figured get this SP-1 now while I wait. Probably not a smart move.but What me worry only going around this life once.grab all I can get.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Colt licensed reproduction"  would be the most accurate description I think.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]
1973 is a great year for SP1s, you might end up liking it more than what Colt will have to offer going forard.

Quoted:
I got so excited about waiting I went out and found a five digit mint cond original {1973 production} SP-1 and bought it.

Sure sure I know its not a 64 /65 model.sold that one over 30 years ago.But it kind of takes me back to a good time. And its retro alright.1973 original retro.

Still going to buy a XM177E2 when they get around to taking orders for them. But figured get this SP-1 now while I wait. Probably not a smart move.but What me worry only going around this life once.grab all I can get.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Never thought of that I probably will, Still  Going to get the XM177E2  when and if they get them going to order.

This one will keep me happy till that time.{one owner original gun}he paid 325 buck's.. was probably a months pay back at that time for some.
well deal is done was not going to buy it unless it was new.at least he kept the original sling, magazine. and two tone brown white manual, Box long gone.but hey its 43 years old now.Not sure how many guns today 43 and older have all the original box with them. sure there are some but not too many, many back in the 60's and 70's moved, tossed boxes, and other paper's....they were not museum curator's...  Also the reason I bought it I served U.S.M.C. from 1968 /74 so it can be considered a Nam ERA Model from Colt.1973 date was around 24 months till Mar 1975 when we bugged out.

Prior to that I had a 1965 version used. around 500 plus number. from a 50's Marine Vet,And  Sold it to a buddy in Indiana since he wanted it and was a good friend  served with the ninth at Ia Drang, since he has passed away who knows what happened to that one.Probably now just revisiting good times and days long past.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread depresses me... $1250-1500=absolutely.  $2500-2750... not so much.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This thread depresses me... $1250-1500=absolutely.  $2500-2750... not so much.
View Quote

You probably got another year to save another grand.  You can do it!!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#37]
It's not that I can't.... It's that for that price I won't...
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm wondering how much it would cost to build a 603 or XM177 clone?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Time and search is money cash.If some guy said I can build you one might take six months but not sure and would try for 2100, and another Colt arrived and they said hey 2700 send money will ship. off go's the 2700. but I'm a old guy. so who's knows what time I have left.{Wait that 30 year old might not have long either he jumps on his Harley and hits a truck at 85 mph.Or his Girlfriend catches him sextexting her sister.and shoots him with her Grock.}.

anyways if you have the parts already and can build I say go for it.I am one of those go get it guy's.. that also is probably why I went through 5,000 plus over the decades.never said it was not fun...but sooo many gone so soon..so now its time for slowdown and get some retro.Every old mudder doe's it in life.

you will see someday.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

They spent $600,000 buying each model so that the specs would be perfect. Then they spent something like $100,000 on the tooling to make the furniture.

I don't see how they can possibly be making any kind of  profit. They probably have $2,000,000 in the project so far and only have two prototypes to show for it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They spent $600,000 buying each model so that the specs would be perfect. Then they spent something like $100,000 on the tooling to make the furniture.

I don't see how they can possibly be making any kind of profit. They probably have $2,000,000 in the project so far and only have two prototypes to show for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see how they can possibly be making any kind of profit. They probably have $2,000,000 in the project so far and only have two prototypes to show for it.

Thats how you know its a Colt!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#43]
They definitely look better than the "retro" (gag....puke) toxic avenger commemorative mutant WTF over? models  Colt showed a couple years back at SHOT. Hope they canned the assclownz (who apparently never saw an M16 made before 2012) and thought that was a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like they will get it right the first time.Am happy with the SP-1 when these new Colts arrive. will add another.It does not bother me in the least that its 2016 made. And just think the 20 year old guy today in fifty years will call it's a retro. Unless the whole male pop will be gay and transgender by that time.{another tale for another time}

so have these on the back burner for now until the order forms come out. till then, Tour of Duty dvd's and C.C.R.music.

Colt may have a new theme song....somethin  happening here,stop hey whats that sound everybody look whats going on.
BUFF SPRING
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone hear anymore news on these new retro Colts?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Anyone hear anymore news on these new retro Colts?
View Quote

One would think that based on the current political climate coupled with the amount of money they spent tooling up we would hear some release dates soon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#47]
I've been wanting this to happen for a long time. I posted here 6 years ago on the topic of an official Colt M16A1 clone, saying that Colt could easily do it by subcontracting out the parts that they don't still make. In any event, if they don't make all of the parts available for sale, including (most importantly) the lower receiver, they'll be missing the boat. I bet that a lot of people who have already built clones would jump at the chance to replace their non-Colt lower receiver with a real licensed Colt one. I know that I would.

The thing I miss about my SP1 that I had in the early '90s, compared to my M16A1 clone that I have now (made entirely from new Colt/USGI M16A1 and Colt AR-15 parts, except for the lower receiver of course) is the Colt logo on the side. Back when I had the SP1 (which I sold about a year later; I still regret that), I wished it was in the A1 configuration, because to me, that's the most iconic version of the M16. So now I have one in the A1 configuration, but I wish it had the Colt logo (a legitimate one at that). If they offer the lower receivers for sale, I could have the best of both worlds.

I don't like the white/light color of the markings on those prototypes though. Why is it like that? It looks like what would happen if you engraved markings after anodizing the aluminum. They should be rollmarked (not engraved), and I assume it should be done before anodizing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#48]
They probably color filled the rollmarks on the prototypes. If one of the selling points on these is the original style rollmarks, I'm sure they would want them to stand out so people would notice them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They probably color filled the rollmarks on the prototypes. If one of the selling points on these is the original style rollmarks, I'm sure they would want them to stand out so people would notice them.
View Quote

Exactly. They most likely only did it for the prototypes so people could see it better at shows so it pops out at you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#50]
The white lettering was done for visibility at the various shows where they have been displayed. Production models will not be done so. The production models will be roll marked, not engraved. I believe that one of the two examples was engraved, and one was rolled......I could be wrong on that as I'm going from memory. What I do remember for sure though, was that one of the two was a NoDak lower, and the other was one of their new forgings.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top