Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
607 pleeeeease!
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The white lettering was done for visibility at the various shows where they have been displayed. Production models will not be done so. The production models will be roll marked, not engraved. I believe that one of the two examples was engraved, and one was rolled......I could be wrong on that as I'm going from memory. What I do remember for sure though, was that one of the two was a NoDak lower, and the other was one of their new forgings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The white lettering was done for visibility at the various shows where they have been displayed. Production models will not be done so. The production models will be roll marked, not engraved. I believe that one of the two examples was engraved, and one was rolled......I could be wrong on that as I'm going from memory. What I do remember for sure though, was that one of the two was a NoDak lower, and the other was one of their new forgings.

That's kind of an ironic strategy, i.e., they make the markings more visible to show off their likeness to original markings, and by doing so, it makes them look strikingly different than original markings.

By the way, who is actually manufacturing these, U.S. Ordnance or U.S. Armament? You said it was U.S. Ordnance, and they are certainly qualified to do so:

[U.S. Ordnance's] primary weapon systems are the M2HB, M2A2 (QCB), the Mk43/M60E4, the M60D Enhanced and the M16/M4/M203, all of which are NATO sanctioned. U.S. Ordnance sells these to governmental agencies in the U.S., including law enforcement and the military, and to federally approved foreign leaderships and militaries. It also facilitates training for its products.

But U.S. Armament makes more sense, as they are the ones who make the Colt Licensed 1903 and 1877 Bulldog Gatling Gun, both of which are projects that are along the same lines.

Also, will they be making them entirely from scratch or will they only make the parts that Colt no longer makes? It seems strange (and a waste of time and money) to reinvent the wheel on things such as FCG and BCG parts (among various other small parts) when Colt is still making them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Read the post by 'Stoner25mkiv' at the top of page 2 of this thread.
He talked to Curtis of U.S. Ordnance about the project.
Another reason for the confusion besides the similar company names is that the principal at U.S. Armament has a first name of Kurt and the principal at U.S. Ordnance has a first name of Curtis.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
View Quote

Thanks for clearing that up. I like the idea that they are being made by an actual U.S. military contractor. Of course, it won't be of any use to me unless they sell parts, particularly the lower receiver. I'm not going to spend $2,500+ on a full rifle when I already have one that I built from a disassembled, unissued, USGI Colt M16A1. It is already mostly the real thing; but there's currently no way to get a real Colt (or Colt-licensed) semi-auto-only lower receiver in the A1 configuration (short of making one yourself from an SP1 lower receiver, which would require some impressive metal fabrication skills). It currently has your NDS-16A1 lower receiver and I am more than satisfied with the quality; it is beautifully manufactured and is an excellent fit and match to the Colt upper receiver. But the purist in me still wants a legitimate Colt logo on the side.

Have you ever thought about getting in on the Colt licensing action? Is it even feasible?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I like all the RETROS I have seen {builds} and the only thing I want on mine is the Colt Logo. And since nobody has come  up with that yet. I am waiting on these.I hope they speed up the process and take a order soon. before all this stuff go's bye bye or more bull/crap restricts.

Retro Freedom.To go back with no regret's!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Another reason for the confusion besides the similar company names is that the principal at U.S. Armament has a first name of Kurt and the principal at U.S. Ordnance has a first name of Curtis.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of an ironic strategy, i.e., they make the markings more visible to show off their likeness to original markings, and by doing so, it makes them look strikingly different than original markings.

By the way, who is actually manufacturing these, U.S. Ordnance or U.S. Armament? You said it was U.S. Ordnance, and they are certainly qualified to do so:

[U.S. Ordnance's] primary weapon systems are the M2HB, M2A2 (QCB), the Mk43/M60E4, the M60D Enhanced and the M16/M4/M203, all of which are NATO sanctioned. U.S. Ordnance sells these to governmental agencies in the U.S., including law enforcement and the military, and to federally approved foreign leaderships and militaries. It also facilitates training for its products.

But U.S. Armament makes more sense, as they are the ones who make the Colt Licensed 1903 and 1877 Bulldog Gatling Gun, both of which are projects that are along the same lines.

Also, will they be making them entirely from scratch or will they only make the parts that Colt no longer makes? It seems strange (and a waste of time and money) to reinvent the wheel on things such as FCG and BCG parts (among various other small parts) when Colt is still making them.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

Is Curtis of US Ordnance, Curtis Debord Jr?  I got rights to the US Armory name from his father, Curtis Senior back around 1989.  I even had a Federal manuafacturer's license from BATF under that name for a prototype project in which his dad and a guy named Mike Thompson were a silent (financial) partners, and Curtis senior was the machinist.  That was around 1989 0r 1990.  I let the US Armory Manufacturer's license go in about 1995 after the project died because of California's draconian Roberti-Roos assault weapons ban, but switched the US Armory to my 03 FFL, which had been Foothills Enterprises..
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I reaaaaally hope I can snag one of the 603/XM-16E1s. I'd be willing to pay the price but am more worried about the low production run, hoping they don't sell out before I get to put in an order.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I reaaaaally hope I can snag one of the 603/XM-16E1s. I'd be willing to pay the price but am more worried about the low production run, hoping they don't sell out before I get to put in an order.
View Quote

You should be fine. Most people won't pay $2700 for a rifle they have never heard of.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Man this sucks.

Can't buy a Troy clone because they hire people who hate us.

Can't buy a Colt because Curt Wolf of US Armament hates us NFA trust holders.

Back to rolling my own on vintage and repop parts I guess.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a bit late posting this but had an email exchange with Curtis Sr. at U.S. Ordnance a few weeks ago and he wanted me to pass this information along to the forum.

He said they plan to start delivering probably around the next Shot Show and every six months come out with two new models. They will all be done within about two to three years. They will be doing the correct vinyl acetate coated stock on the XM177E2 and the GAU5A/A.  Early XM177E1/Commando models will have just the anodized only, uncoated stocks to be correct.

Didn't ask about price or any other details but that's a bit more info to think on.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm a bit late posting this but had an email exchange with Curtis Sr. at U.S. Ordnance a few weeks ago and he wanted me to pass this information along to the forum.

He said they plan to start delivering probably around the next Shot Show and every six months come out with two new models. They will all be done within about two to three years. They will be doing the correct vinyl acetate coated stock on the XM177E2 and the GAU5A/A.  Early XM177E1/Commando models will have just the anodized only, uncoated stocks to be correct.

Didn't ask about price or any other details but that's a bit more info to think on.
View Quote

Any chance they're going to be selling those separate as well?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
When I spoke with him a few months ago about this project he said spares would be available
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#13]
So we won't be able to order till 2017 for these variation's. or are they taking a pre/order deal?I sent two e-mails to two different companies heard nothing back at all.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I sure hope that they have spare Colt marked stripped lower receivers as spares also.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When I spoke with him a few months ago about this project he said spares would be available
View Quote

Did he say anything about pricing?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess its like pulling freaking T-Rex teeth to get any info on the project or to order any right now. Maybe after the election things will get cooking again. and they will want to build and sell as many as possible and get them out the door.Going to order the Troy for now to fondle and blast away. Till they get around to the Colt taking order's.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess its like pulling freaking T-Rex teeth to get any info on the project or to order any right now. Maybe after the election things will get cooking again. and they will want to build and sell as many as possible and get them out the door.Going to order the Troy for now to fondle and blast away. Till they get around to the Colt taking order's.

View Quote

Patience Hopseng.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Patience, Hopseng Grasshopper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

LOL.......thanks 44Echo.  I was straining my feeble brain on that one. I never watched the show.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL.......thanks 44Echo.  I was straining my feeble brain on that one. I never watched the show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

It's okay, my retro brother, Bonanza was the better program.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#21]
The Rifleman and Wanted Dead or Alive was great. Well until The Walking Dead came around. with the retro SP-1's
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I will see him in a few more months at a show and can ask him but I need to call his shop about something else anyway so I'll give it a shot.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top