Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2016 12:05:56 AM EDT
Years ago I bought one of the nodak uppers with the charging handle inside the carry handle. Bought their handguard, and one of the prototype FSBs from the project group buy thing on here, then I moved and lost them. Forgot all about it till recently when I found the stuff in a box. Sent it all out to get done and It'll be back soon. The problem is finding a proper lower.

I'd habe to find somebody who does custom work to habe it done right because I've seen a couple 80% lowers and they don't seem to co,e out very good when people do them at home.

Any ideas? I need the flat lower, probably the colt or old armalire logo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#1]
braceman
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Iirc I'd still have to get the thing finished though. He does the 80%s

I've yet to see anybody actually do one of those that comes out well
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Try the easy jig with a router.

I haven't bought one yet and have a black A2 80% that I'm going to try it with first but they are supposed to come out pretty nice with it and are "idiot proof" but I may be a better quality idiot than they are used to!

Nobody will do it for you as it then makes them a manufacturer and everything that goes with that so you're going to have to roll your own here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Iirc I'd still have to get the thing finished though. He does the 80%s

I've yet to see anybody actually do one of those that comes out well
View Quote

If your talking about final finishing, i.e., the fire control pocket, then you'll want to use a router and end mill jig set-up like the easy-jig mentioned above or the Modulas Arms Jig.  The router and end mill is far superior to the old drill and carve method.
Nobody can do that for you.  You must do it yourself.

As for just reshaping the lower to A1 profile, see M1A1's post above.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I know it is not what you asked, but if you care about correctness, Nodak sells a completed version of the prototype lower. There are many small differences on them if you look closely. There is no real way to capture all of them on an 80% lower. Things like the smaller mag release, no channel for mag locking, different bolt release, no reinforcement on the buffer neck, resessed and rebated front takedown pin and the slab side.

If correctness does not matter, then you have to do the finish work on the pocket yourself. This would be after someone modifies the lower for you to look as closely as possible if that is of interest to you. Finishing the pocket is what makes it a receiver and either you buy a completed lower, or you finish the 80% yourself.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know it is not what you asked, but if you care about correctness, Nodak sells a completed version of the prototype lower. .
View Quote

Thought about that, problem is the nodak wording and all completely ruins it as far as I'm concerned. I'd be less unhappy tossing it on a match target M4 lower. Least then it's got a pony.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Snaps, Nodaks new proto lower markings are on the ft of the mag well. You,ve got a complete blank canvas to engrave the ARMALITE info
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

braceman
View Quote
+10 None better

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Snaps, Nodaks new proto lower markings are on the ft of the mag well. You,ve got a complete blank canvas to engrave the ARMALITE info
View Quote

Here is a photo of my NoDak lower with prototype engraving.  The NoDak info is on the front of the magwell.  I covered it up with a piece of masking tape, and put a "rack number" on the masking tape

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

hadn't seen that one before.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top