Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2016 5:37:02 PM EDT
Hi,

What can you tell me about the rifle from a photo?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a cut down M16A1 with annXM177E2 moderator w/grenade ring.

Full curve 30rd mag too.

Cool pic!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks like a cut down M16A1 with annXM177E2 moderator w/grenade ring.

Full curve 30rd mag too.

Cool pic!
View Quote
I think the upper is a xm177e2 with a cleaning kit pouch taped around the handguard. Maybe he swapped lowers with someone else to get the stock lol.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Handguard probably from XM177, but grip? I think that isn't grip from M16A1. :)
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Cant help ya but neat picture! I like the sling setup he has!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Handguard probably from XM177, but grip? I think that isn't grip from M16A1. :)
View Quote
The area straight behind the trigger looks like a regular a1 grip, it is just wrapped in something. Maybe green or colored tape or a bicycle inner tube. He may have put something under the tape/tube or whatever it is wrapped in to give it a thicker palm area.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Mike,

Do you happen to know the date or year the photo was taken?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#7]
If it isn't an improvised grip maybe he ordered some kind of aftermarket slip over rubber grip sleeve.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok I see now, it does look like a carbine upper.

Grip is just an A1 grip wrapped in cloth or tape.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Not an uncommon modification, XM-upper on a rifle lower. I've done done the same thing with my FA lower, and it's a great combo.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not an uncommon modification, XM-upper on a rifle lower. I've done done the same thing with my FA lower, and it's a great combo.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/strela_photos/XM177FullStock_zpsnriskutv.jpg

View Quote
Does you buffer and spring system sound awful lol? Sprongggggg

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#11]
If I remember correctly it's in the Mekong very late 66 or early 67, I forget the name of the operation, I have it somewhere.  XM177E1 with full curve mag, with full stock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Grip looks like an A1 grip wrapped in leather or rubber with P cord around it and a leather or rubber
piece on the bottom held on with p cord, maybe to store something in the grip? extra bolt or something?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/strela_photos/XM177FullStock_zpsnriskutv.jpg
View Quote

You have a sp1 mg?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You have a sp1 mg?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a sp1 mg?

Yes, not factory of course.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

????? Not sure what "awful" sound the buffer and spring makes. Guns are noisy, and my hearing is not what it was anyway.

BTW, if there's any confusion, that second photo of a full-stocked shorty is archival VN not of me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a sp1 mg?

Yes, not factory of course.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/strela_photos/73cc9f70-3add-40ba-9e50-172cff14dbcc_zpspmsngc7u.jpg

Cool!

I love the SPROOONG sound of a full stock AR
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Bicycle tubes.. the original Vietnamese Magpul grip..
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Just about all my hunting set ups are 16 inch uppers and solid stock lowers, love the combo.  Very cool picture.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Bicycle
inner tubes .... the closest thing you could get to an ergo-grip in the late
'60's early '70's.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:37:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
????? Not sure what "awful" sound the buffer and spring makes. Guns are noisy, and my hearing is not what it was anyway.

BTW, if there's any confusion, that second photo of a full-stocked shorty is archival VN not of me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With a rifle buffer and spring on a carbine system it just has a really strong spring sound like a pogo stick lol, at least in my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With a rifle buffer and spring on a carbine system it just has a really strong spring sound like a pogo stick lol, at least in my opinion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm. I never noticed on this gun. The muzzle blast is most noticeable to me. I never shoot it on semi.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for your help!  :)
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Photos of this combo come up from time to time. Here is one I found on the internet years ago.

I heard that the short barreled E1 had problems with erratic rates of fire. Maybe this was cured by using the full stock lower with longer/heavier buffer?

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#25]

If you look at the mag pouch is that not a early style commonly used by the cia?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you look at the mag pouch is that not a early style commonly used by the cia?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like a BAR belt, commonly worn by SF at the time.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#27]
As for the grip, I have seen some grips in the arms room where they wrapped rubber "friction tape" around the grips to make them larger and easier to hold onto when wet or sweaty.  A guy I worked with in the 90s was a SEAL in Vietnam in the earlier days.  He used a BAR belt.  He said it held lots of "mags and frags!".
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top