Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 10:38:10 AM EDT
Hey all, I'm helping a friend ID done barrels, he doesn't know where they came from
But they arent drilled for the FSP and no gas port.
They are 20", 1/12

Never seen a colt barrel with a T or 3.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
That's new to me. What's the twist rate?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
make sure your check headspace, id dia and the index pin for looseness. I never seen those markings.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there a C on the barrel extention?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#4]
He doesn't think so. He won't actually take possession of them till
Tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm wondering H&R or GM possibly.  Think if price was right I'd have to leap.  

For big coins,  probably not personally but would depend on if I wanted to mount FSB's and could find something decent original if actually Colt, H&R or GM stripped pieces.   Would make great replacements for worn out originals too using shot out barrel  pieces.  If I was going to mixmaster price would have to be right.  Are they chrome chamber? Chrome lined barrel? Sometimes hard to tell on chrome lined barrel.

Is extension chromed like some of the early C MP C Colts?  

Thanks for sharing.  Very cool find.  Think Citadel is only stamped with C as far as I know. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
He pics them up tomorrow , so I should get some new pics.
Apparently they were just sitting in a crate
For years. He paid 10$ each!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope he got them all.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I hope he got them all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope he got them all.

He got two, and I was wrong, he got them for 5$ each ....
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
New pics guys. Apparently they 1/14

What do ya think?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Weird. Are you sure 1:14?

If those cardboard wraps are original to the barrels and any indication of age, I'd say they are old. Do you/does he have any Colt/USGI M16 barrels with which to compare machining profiles side by side?

But hey, for $5 ea, WTF, that's just basically free.

ETA, are both identically marked? Are they both marked '3' at the muzzle?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya, he's sure they are 1/14. Which is strange , but what's more strange is he says they are also chrome lined.
Both identic and no other marking on them

Maybe some kind 601 Winchester subcontract barrel?
The fact that it's 1/14 makes it really strange
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The maybe 222 Remington and not 223 barrels. Colt made export guns in 222 Remington for a while to those countries that did not allow their peasants to own military calibers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Every (three) 1/14 I've seen was marked 14. Do a chamber cast to see what the caliber is then drill the gas port an FSB.

Or sell me one for $50
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a longshot but..... isn't there something in TBR V1 about re-testing the 1:14 ballistics again in the late 60's ?   maybe these are Test barrels of some sort.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a longshot but..... isn't there something in TBR V1 about re-testing the 1:14 ballistics again in the late 60's ?   maybe these are Test barrels of some sort.
View Quote

I thought that too, but that was still before bore's were chromelined
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Late '60's  is not too far off from standardized chrome bores. It could be plausible that they are test barrels. Testing both 1:14 ballistics and chrome chamber/bore.

MP - Magnetic Particle
C - Colt
T - Test/Trial
3 - Batch #

100% speculation, but that's what comes to mind.

ETA: Any indication of where these might have come from, any backstory at all, or just an estate find?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#17]
How strange.  Those aren't M4 feedramps, are they?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Late '60's  is not too far off from standardized chrome bores. It could be plausible that they are test barrels. Testing both 1:14 ballistics and chrome chamber/bore.

MP - Magnetic Particle
C - Colt
T - Test/Trial
3 - Batch #

ETA: Any indication of where these might have come from, any backstory at all, or just an estate find?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MP - Magnetic Particle
C - Colt
T - Test/Trial
3 - Batch #

Unfortunately no. Only they had been sitting in a trunk for many years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Every (three) 1/14 I've seen was marked 14. Do a chamber cast to see what the caliber is then drill the gas port an FSB.

Or sell me one for $50
View Quote

He got them for 5$ each... I offered 20$
But , he didn't bite
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
How does one determine the twist rate if it's not marked?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:36:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shove a cleaning rod through it with a bore brush, and pull it a short distance. Put a piece of tape on the brush, mark it with a pencil line, and then pull it until it's rotated one time. Measure the distance the cleaning rod has moved when it's rotated once and you have the rifling twist. 1 rotation that comes out 14 inches is 1-14"
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Shove a cleaning rod through it with a bore brush, and pull it a short distance. Put a piece of tape on the brush, mark it with a pencil line, and then pull it until it's rotated one time. Measure the distance the cleaning rod has moved when it's rotated once and you have the rifling twist. 1 rotation that comes out 14 inches is 1-14"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This won't work with most cheap cleaning rods.  It needs to be a high quality, preferably ball bearing, cleaning rod for this to work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This won't work with most cheap cleaning rods.  It needs to be a high quality, preferably ball bearing, cleaning rod for this to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a wooden dowel with a couple patches on the end. I can't stand stuffing a steel rod down my barrels.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly how he did it
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe this is some kind of 22cal training barrel that works
With those air force training  kits?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maybe this is some kind of 22cal training barrel that works
With those air force training  kits?
View Quote

Whatever it is, it's neat as hell!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Aaawwwww snap. This is goona be my life's mission to figure these out.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let me know what you find out
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Ok, what did you find out?

I just picked mine up from the PO box. It was a third he got and has the the taper pin cuts welded up and it looks like the gas port side too. Thing is there is almost zero heat signature from it but just a hair of porosity.

The bore and chamber are brand new and both chromed. If there was a gas port ever drilled in it I sure as heck can't see it and I spent a bit looking for it.

When I get home I will gauge it, straightness, throat, headspace etc. I need to build a jig to mount the FSB so I can range test this sucker!!!

I really want to know what to buid around this??

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I haven't found out anything new. Mine is still in the wrap, haven't really made time to investigate it further.

Did you confirm the 1:14 twist rate?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#32]

The only markings: MP C T 3

Im just going to post here instead of trying to IM both of you guys.

Comparing your barrels to these pic, do you guys definitely think yours are chrome?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Easiest way to check for chrome is from the chamber end.  It spreads out from the chamber on the breech face.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#34]
So I got into mine. I did the rod pull and visually compared the bore to my 1/14 & 1/12.  I do believe it to be a legit 1/14.

Mine is new minus the welded FSB taper pin holes. All gauges in spec, minus the straightness gauge binds at the FSB local.

Mine is Chrome chamber and appears to be chrome bore as well KKid.

I still plan to test fire, I may do it from a vise with out a gas system just to see before I waste any time on mounting a FSB.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine looks chromed at both ends too. Still mystified.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Cool, thanks for confirmation these are probably all the same.

Ive got nothing else definitive.

I read back through TBR, and on page 222 when its discussing the 1967 re-test of 1x14 accuracy it mentions the barrels were marked as to the internal twist. I dont know if that specifically means they were marked "12" and "14" or in some other way. At first I suspected these barrels might be from those tests, but I kind of have my doubts to it now. I dont know....

Ill keep trying to figure it out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#37]
So Ill post a pic of my markings later, but Id like to compare them. the "T" on mine appears to be two straight stamps and not one T. It looks a lot like the method used on my 601 M1 marked barrel. (Not saying same vintage, just similar method)

The "C" also rolls in like the some off the M4 upper stamps do. It appears to be a different font than the off the shelf letter stamps I've seen. IMO its a unique letter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#38]
To test for chrome....use a q-tip and cold blue.... if chrome nothing will happen .  If polished steel then it will change colors.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top