Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2016 4:48:30 PM EDT
So recently picked up a Colt C H forge code A1 upper. Been wanting to do a 'Nam era M16A1 for quite some time. It's in very good shape, nice gray color.
I got lucky on this lower. Wandering around a shop near me and happened to see this blank stripped lower in the case. I asked who made it and how much? Gentleman told me the shop had them made by Aeroprecision years ago and found this one in their safe. It was the last one and weren't going to make more!! So for 80$ I scored big time! No waiting for a blank lower from Nodak for me. Not sure what to get engraved yet. I'm thinking, "Property of US Govt M16A1". Or something like that. Just wanted to share, and ask if anybody has suggestions on what to get engraved? Thanks

Oh and another quick question. On my upper, the rear flip sight is very loose. I'm afraid it will move back and forth during firing. I installed it, everything is where it should be. Any advice?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice upper! I personally wouldn't bother getting the lower engraved since it is a pictogram lower.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya I would like to have a real Colt lower but don't have the coin at the moment. I still want to engrave something on it though. Even if it isn't correct is still like it. Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh and another quick question. On my upper, the rear flip sight is very loose. I'm afraid it will move back and forth during firing. I installed it, everything is where it should be. Any advice?
View Quote

Are you sure the spring under the sight is installed correctly?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally would build on the lower as it sits, use it as a placeholder until you can either get it worked on or find something a little more retro. If you want to have a  real looking replica lower, go the 80% route, then you can make it whatever you want.

Good to see you over here in retroland, Jake! As if FALs weren't enough of a sickness, retro can get pretty bad.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally would build on the lower as it sits, use it as a placeholder until you can either get it worked on or find something a little more retro. If you want to have a  real looking replica lower, go the 80% route, then you can make it whatever you want.

Good to see you over here in retroland, Jake! As if FALs weren't enough of a sickness, retro can get pretty bad.
View Quote

Hey man! Ya I came over here lately because AR parts are so cheap. Loving it so far. I'm adding to my addictions. FALs are still my number 1 though.

But as to this build, who could work on the lower for engraving and maybe doing some milling to make it correct?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
On your rear sight, under the aperture there is a tray milled into the upper, that flat leaf spring sits in there, hump side up. That'll fix er... must have either left it out or put it in upside down
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On your rear sight, under the aperture there is a tray milled into the upper, that flat leaf spring sits in there, hump side up. That'll fix er... must have either left it out or put it in upside down
View Quote

No it's in there correct side up. That's why I'm confused. Not sure why it's so easy to flip over. The first quarter to third of the way there's no resistance, it can just wiggle around
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
No it's in there correct side up. That's why I'm confused. Not sure why it's so easy to flip over. The first quarter to third of the way there's no resistance, it can just wiggle around

Was it a new spring?  Sounds like it's broken or somehow got broken, possibly flattened a tad.  Not uncommon with the original stuff when installing screw.  Spring is same for A-1 or A-2 if you didn't know..

Surplus Ammo still sells those lowers.    Good luck on build.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to try and buy another little plate and see if that's the problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
So I popped out the rear sight and took a look at the little plate. Sure enough it's pretty damn flat. I've been trying to round it back out. Might just need a new piece though

Edit: gave it a little squeeze in my vise and it's good as new. Works like a charm now
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya the leaf springs can get squished pretty easy when disassembled. Glad it was an easy fix!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:13:31 AM EDT
[#12]
McKay and Rangetool have nice lowers for a retro build.... Less than $80 as well. Of course, after shipping and FFL, you'll be at $80
http://www.rangetool.com/store/lower-receivers/ar15-lower-receiver-range-tool.html
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
McKay and Rangetool have nice lowers for a retro build.... Less than $80 as well. Of course, after shipping and FFL, you'll be at $80
http://www.rangetool.com/store/lower-receivers/ar15-lower-receiver-range-tool.html
View Quote

They're a black anodized A2 lower with selector switch markings on both sides.  May well be a fine lower, but not so much for a retro build.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top