Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2016 9:48:56 AM EDT
Just finished, Really love the k.i.s.s. style.
specs are:
A1 upper from Brownells, tear drop FA,  DSA M16 FA BCG, doublestar Charging handle.

PSA lower parts kit and A2 grip

Seven hole (not Six) Carbine handguards

DPMS 11.5 inch heavy barrel with factory pinned 5.5 inch flash hider, chrome moly lined, m4 feed ramps, 1 in 9 twist, B marked front sight

old Mosin Nagant sling cut down and sewn over on ends with 550 paracord loops

buttstock 6 position  aluminum from Tonys Customs.

Anderson AM15 multi cal lower.

I know its not exact by any means, but its set up exactly as I want and need. Had most of the pieces parts at home already, Thanks to boywonder 777 for the rear sight set. Also all the colors match pretty well just as they came. Maybe ill shoot some Norells on it at a later date, But Im kinda digging all black.

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great! Those 11.5 barrels produce a nice flash at night or at indoor ranges. Let us know how she shoots.
Oh and btw, that it is a Brownells upper period. Harlan will be around to remind you that NDS just supplies them the raw forgings, Brownells machines and finishes them.
So it is a Brownells product.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I stand corrected....Thanks, test fired out in the pasture last night, They are really loud when this short. very low recoil. Cant wait to get out on the range.

I will also at some point get rid of the Bayo lug, Bayonet charges are so in the past.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stand corrected....Thanks, test fired out in the pasture last night, They are really loud when this short. very low recoil. Cant wait to get out on the range.

I will also at some point get rid of the Bayo lug, Bayonet charges are so in the past.....
View Quote

Bayonet lugs are evil and I believe in some states they are banned. The reason I keep them on all my builds is because I can
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I put together almost the same carbine a few weeks back using parts from Brownell's and PSA.  I took it to the range the same day I finished putting it together and ran 100 rounds of Federal XM-193 through it with no failures.  

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx124/wild_weasel_photo/IMAG00110_zps0rhgg0cy.jpg

Cheers,
W-W
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice.
Love the Nagant sling improv.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Love the XM177E1 copies.  It was the first AR I built back in 88' and what my kids learned to shoot off of.  Allot of rounds went thru that gun in 20 yrs.  Receiver was a old OLY/SGW Stop Sign lower.  Bbl had a 1:12 twist which work pretty well with the M261 .22LR conversion kit.

CD
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice, enjoy shooting it! They can be addicting, that can lead to a few more.

My XM177e2 clone is the only carbine I own today... Well I do have a 605 and all the parts for a 607, but you know what I mean. I started to transition it to an XM177e1, only needs a partial fence lower at this point...which makes it a late XM177e1 the way it stands.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems to be a rash of these lately (likely due to the Brownell's barrel sale).

I used the same DPMS barrel as the OP and also need to neuter the bayonet lug.  I was able to find a PM marked A1 upper receiver with original teardrop FA but reproduction small-pad ejector cover.  BCG is a DSArms FA with PSA standard carbine buffer (nobody can see that it is not full round).  The buttstock is commercial spec aluminum (probably Bushmaster) with a 3-position receiver extension. HG's are 6-hole skinny (likely not Colt) but the pistol grip is genuine GI A1.  I was able to find a no-tic selector in my box-O-goodies but the rest of the lower parts are just standard PSA. The lower receiver is a Matrix Aerospace A2 -- yeah, yeah, sure, sure -- maybe a NDS some day but for now I like the fact that MA has very subtle roll marks. Magazine has the aluminum follower.

It functions with cheap .223 (including steel case) quite well.  I have only shot it out to 50 paces with the irons and with my 60 year old eyes it groups to within a minute of clay pigeon.
I know it is not perfect; but neither am I.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd leave the bayonet lug on those 11.5" barrels with skinny 5.5" extended flash hiders. You can actually install a bayonet on those, while they won't fit over a real (or accurate repop) moderator.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd leave the bayonet lug on those 11.5" barrels with skinny 5.5" extended flash hiders. You can actually install a bayonet on those, while they won't fit over a real (or accurate repop) moderator.
View Quote

Good point. I'm going with that.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Well in that case bayonet charges here we come. The only problem is that the original bayonets we were issued sucked as far as bayonets go. I remember humping my A1 thru the jungle and getting that three prong flash hider stuck on all kinds of vines etc. mounted the bayonet and suddenly no more hang ups on vines. But I really like the looks of the modern bayonet. maybe ill have to do a arfcom and get both old and new.  could always use a few new bayonets for my collection. Also the new larger bayonet is much more comfortable for me as I only have four functional fingers on my right hand, the pinky on my right hand is all fubar which is also why I went with the A2 grip.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:22:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine is still a work in progress...

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Some handy little rifles there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Just curious. According to Brownells site, their A1 upper does not work with Anderson lowers. How do the two mate up on your build?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#15]
no problems what so ever. one of the weirdest things is that even though so many parts are from different makers, the colors match. there is no play or misalignment with the Anderson lower. its the AM 15 multiple caliber one, I don't know if that makes a difference over the standard AR15 5.56 lower. I usually use stag lowers for my builds but this was only $50.00. At first I thought the takedown pins were a little tight but after off and on a few times even that went away. If I use my lancer 20 round mags I can only load 19 in it but a bushmaster I own does he same thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just curious. According to Brownells site, their A1 upper does not work with Anderson lowers. How do the two mate up on your build?
View Quote

I used an Anderson's stripped lower with the Brownell's stripped A1 upper and they went together no problem using take-down pins from a PSA lower parts kit; the upper and lower have a tight wobble free fit.

Cheers,
W-W
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I used an Anderson's stripped lower with the Brownell's stripped A1 upper and they went together no problem using take-down pins from a PSA lower parts kit; the upper and lower have a tight wobble free fit.

Cheers,
W-W
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers,
W-W

THX
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Where did the rubber butt pad come from??  I need a good , hard rubber model for the early tele-stock !
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#19]
how is that alluminum stock?  how does it compare to the Essential arms one?

doesn't look very shiny...
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cheers,
W-W
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers,
W-W

I too have a build with an Anderson lower and Brownell's A1 upper. When putting the two together for the first time the rear takedown pin was a bit stiff to get in, but, after taking it down a few times, everything mates very well. Nice snug fit with very little wobble. Rear pin slides in and out without trouble now. I have two Anderson lowers and two Brownell's uppers and have no trouble swapping them around.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's strange.  I have one Anderson lower and all my uppers fit fine with room to spare depth-wise.  Maybe they had a run of "shallow" ones at one point.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#22]
the buttstock is not a perfect clone as far as color and strengthening ridges, but I suspect it will do all I want. I would have no fear buttstroking a zombie with it. I actually like the aluminum for strength over plastic, of course the week part is where it mounts into the lower receiver but even that seems strong. I think the AR platform has been proven very tough thru all the wars and shit soldiers and marines put there weapons thru. One question that's always eluded me is What is the actual difference between MilSpec and Commercial when it comes to things like reciever tubes, nuts, etc. Also it helps balance out the rifles weight as I used a heavy barrel. But then again I am 6'2" and 265 so most rifles look like toys when I am wearing them. The only weapon I used to carry that looked like it fit was my M60. I used to spin that thing around like a baton.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#23]
doubletap
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top