Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 10:13:21 PM EDT
So I got this in a trade the other day. I knew it was damaged from the get go but the seller failed to show me properly and I didn't inspect it too much when we made the trade. I want to repair it but I'm limited by my tools. Also, it has some flat black spray paint on it. I was thinking about rattle canning it tan but if I'm to repair it I'm thinking I need to strip it. What's best for taking the paint off? I was thinking of disassembling the latch, JB welding the cracks and then sanding it smooth and hitting it all with paint. What says y'all?

Last pic is hard to tell but the bolt that interfaces with the holes in the buffer tube is loose from the cracks. The stock has some bad foward and aft movement when locked into place.

Lost cause or project stock?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
This may sound crazy but call colt and see if the will replace it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This may sound crazy but call colt and see if the will replace it.
View Quote

They still make CAR stocks???
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You never know
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, got the pin out of the nut. But closer look reveals the nut is frozen with rust I soaked it in oil and I'm going to work on it more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It looks rough, I wonder if you sprayed it with plastidip would it fill in the cracks? I plastidip'd a fake n1 to see how it would come out, and it actually looks good. If I ever find an aluminum stock I might spray it for the vynil feel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Once I get it taken apart (if I do) I'm going to reassess and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can get it sturdy and smooth, and you still want to paint it, try just your plain old Krylon gloss black. I painted an aftermarket plastic stock with it several years ago, and it actually came out quite nice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Denatured Alcohol is a good paint remover for plastic.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Strip stock, stop drill cracks if needed, V groove crack on both sides, clean well, place JB weld in crack, use Saran Wrap to cover and smooth it, remove wrap and sand and finish, repaint. (Unless Colt will replace it )
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#10]
So who has colts number lol?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So who has colts number lol?
View Quote

Here's a link to Colt's and good luck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Strip stock, stop drill cracks if needed, V groove crack on both sides, clean well, place JB weld in crack, use Saran Wrap to cover and smooth it, remove wrap and sand and finish, repaint. (Unless Colt will replace it )
View Quote

This sounds like a solid procedure
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]

After leaving it sit and soaking in oil and periodically loosening the rusted bolt, I finally have success. The threads were pretty rusty and I deformed the slot for a screwdriver a bit, it is still functional. I have to head to work but after I'm to strip the paint and get a good look at all the damage.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Thin CA glue will fix that crack right up.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top