Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 7:48:32 PM EDT
What would be the correct punch set for putting numbers into a 80% lower, if I want to give it a retro look?
I guess sending the 80% off to an engraver to make it a correct clone (with colt markings) is a no-go, so I figure I would
at least serialize it so I can take it to the range?

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What would be the correct punch set for putting numbers into a 80% lower, if I want to give it a retro look?
I guess sending the 80% off to an engraver to make it a correct clone (with colt markings) is a no-go, so I figure I would
at least serialize it so I can take it to the range?

View Quote

??

You don't "need" to have a serial number.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Send it out for engraving BEFORE you mill it and you are OK.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Its also been drilled out by yours truly.  No way to engrave it then?

I could run it slick? (no markings whatsoever), would a cop have a problem with that?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You can manufacture your own receiver with no markings or serial #. Perfectly legal.

Quoted:
....would a cop have a problem with that?
View Quote

Well, it depends on the cop. Some cops are....well....retarded when it comes to firearms laws.

Still legal.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If we knew what state you lived in someone on here might be able to direct you to an engraver that you could hand carry it to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes you can legally run it "slick", but 99% of police are ignorant of gun laws and if they do not see a serial number they will assume that it's been ground off. You will eventually be cleared, but for that day, you're goin for a ride.
I am in SE Florida and police HATE guns here especially black guns, Gotta be careful these days.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, lets say I want to punch some numbers in myself, anyone know a punch set that has a close to correct look?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, lets say I want to punch some numbers in myself, anyone know a punch set that has a close to correct look?
View Quote

There are some engravers with ffl's that you could send it to.  They could put the graphics on it that you want, and a proper serial number of your choice.  That would be an INFINATELY better option than trying to hand stamp a serial number.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There are some engravers with ffl's that you could send it to.  They could put the graphics on it that you want, and a proper serial number of your choice.  That would be an INFINATELY better option than trying to hand stamp a serial number.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. There are quite a few out there with Class 2 FFLs that do engraving on firearms.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top