Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/26/2016 5:46:56 PM EDT
Hi Retro heads,

Many years ago, one of the first things I bought in the land of the big PX,
was a Colt AR15/M16 20 round box magazine at the military museum on
Oahu.  Back then I used some steel wool and got the mag to look uniformly
silver.

Fast fowards almost 40 years to today, and would like to do that again.  I have some mags
that missing their finish, but they seem to be stained grey or bronzey colors, under the dry film
not the silver.

How does one get the mag all silver?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep steel woolin' til you get through the bronze to the silver.

GI mags are aluminum, with a hardcoat anodizing treatment applied (the bronze layer), then usually a dry film lubricant applied (the grey layer).
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
MEK will cut the grey lube film off, but if they've already worn through the anodizing, you won't get much farther. You might get a new mag from Brownells and try.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen and owned quite a few used USGI 20 round mags. In my observation, some have the dry-film over natural colored aluminum, while others have the dry-film over the golden-bronze color. The golden-bronze didn't wear through to the silver color, it was never there on the silver mags. On the mags which are silver under the dry-film, the metal exposed when the dry-film wears off will turn gray with handling, sometimes even showing fingerprints. The silver or bronze base color doesn't even seem to be related to the mag's manufacturer.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top