Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
How can you tell the real deal USGI handguard from the airsoft ones?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Im not sure.  I just bought one off of the EE from a seller that had two.  Has the sights with it.  I believe the earliest ones where metal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The Airsoft ones will feel cheap and flimsy by comparison.  The real ones are thick, and sturdy, and probably already beat to shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Airsoft ones will feel cheap and flimsy by comparison.  The real ones are thick, and sturdy, and probably already beat to shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything I see online looks the same. I see on eBay that there are a few listed and some are selling for high dollar. They are listed as USGI but who knows if its airsoft or not. I'm thinking I should just back off and not do the build. But I want to.

How flimsy will the airsoft be?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to clarify, you're looking for the Rifle handguards that fit around the rifle's barrel, above the 203, not the ribbed 203 handguard/grip, right?

I see the handguards all the time on GB, and I haven't seen any on there that I would guess were Airsoft.

For one, Airsoft Handguards generally don't have heat shields.  They're just plastic, all around.

Real 203 Handguards are plastic, with aluminum heat shields.  They've got a different material (ceramic? Bakelite? more different plastic? something more fragile than the rest, I have a set that's broken) for the front end, which goes into the triangle handguard retainer.  Those pieces are riveted to the plastic/heat shields.  I can't imagine an Airsoft outlet that would go through the trouble necessary to reproduce all of that.  Generally they are just a single casting of plastic.

Here's an example on GB now: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=553382394

You can see the heat shields through the holes, and there's a good close up of the front end where you can see the front bits riveted to the rest of the handguard.

Edit: All of the "M203 Handguards" I found on E-Bay looked legit to me.  (and beat to shit, like I said before)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just to clarify, you're looking for the Rifle handguards that fit around the rifle's barrel, above the 203, not the ribbed 203 handguard/grip, right?
I see the handguards all the time on GB, and I haven't seen any on there that I would guess were Airsoft.
For one, Airsoft Handguards generally don't have heat shields.  They're just plastic, all around.
Real 203 Handguards are plastic, with aluminum heat shields.  They've got a different material (ceramic? Bakelite? more different plastic? something more fragile than the rest, I have a set that's broken) for the front end, which goes into the triangle handguard retainer.  Those pieces are riveted to the plastic/heat shields.  I can't imagine an Airsoft outlet that would go through the trouble necessary to reproduce all of that.  Generally they are just a single casting of plastic.
Here's an example on GB now: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=553382394
You can see the heat shields through the holes, and there's a good close up of the front end where you can see the front bits riveted to the rest of the handguard.
Edit: All of the "M203 Handguards" I found on E-Bay looked legit to me.  (and beat to shit, like I said before)
View Quote
I have a couple of usgi and an g&p airsoft one. It has all the same features of the real deal. It is a little more flexible than the real ones, which might be a good thing as it doesn't seem like it would easily chip, though who knows if it gets extremely cold or hot. The plastic seems like something from a good quality tupperware product.
The heat shield appears to be the same thickness. The way they melted the plastic tabs over the heat shield looks a little less professional than the real ones. I think it will hold up assuming the plastic doesn't have some kind of significant issue with heat or colt.
Unless you have a real m203 and planning to go into battle with this rifle, have a full auto that will get red hot, or live in sub-artic temperatures I don't see why the airsoft one wouldn't last a life time. Honestly the plastic is probably better than what they were using in the 70's and 80's and afterall it's just a replica unless you get a real m203 in which case you've got the money for a real handguard.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The actual handguard on the one I shot @ Benning was so loose I imagine you could get minute of moose with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a couple of usgi and an g&p airsoft one. It has all the same features of the real deal. It is a little more flexible than the real ones, which might be a good thing as it doesn't seem like it would easily chip, though who knows if it gets extremely cold or hot. The plastic seems like something from a good quality tupperware product.

The heat shield appears to be the same thickness. The way they melted the plastic tabs over the heat shield looks a little less professional than the real ones. I think it will hold up assuming the plastic doesn't have some kind of significant issue with heat or colt.

Unless you have a real m203 and planning to go into battle with this rifle, have a full auto that will get red hot, or live in sub-artic temperatures I don't see why the airsoft one wouldn't last a life time. Honestly the plastic is probably better than what they were using in the 70's and 80's and afterall it's just a replica unless you get a real m203 in which case you've got the money for a real handguard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that one couldn't run with airsoft handguards, I'm sure they'd hold up just fine to our average hobbiest use.  I was just trying to express the differences I've seen between airsoft handguards (in general, not 203 handguards specifically), and real handguards.

For my part, I don't really see why you wouldn't get the real thing given their abundance and relative inexpensiveness.  I haven't seen nearly as many airsoft 203 handguards as I have real (or seemingly real) ones.  But to each his own.  They're all clones/replicas anyway.  Do what you like.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#9]
This what you want? It's not airsoft.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:23:26 AM EDT
[#10]

I've got a GI one like that it seems to be more modern as the texture and material seem more like a modern polymer than the ones from Vietnam. Either would be fine and I'm going to use it on my vietnam build, but I can spot the difference in material if I look close enough. The originals had a more uniform and smooth appearance.

You can tell that is the real deal because the plastic dots along the heatshield are nice and molded. The ones on my airsoft handguard look kind of sloppy

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, finding the King Arms Colt's marked ones is a real challenge.  I can find none in the US, only out of country.  I find that most cant ship out of their country to me.  Bummer!
But....I just found one in HK that says they are in stock, have the Colt's mkgs, will ship to the US and at a reasonable price.  I ordered after hours (12hrs difference) so I hope to hear from them late this evening.
If everything is as stated, I'll post pics when it arrives.

Here's the link:

http://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p4898/King-Arms-M203-Grenade-Launcher-Mil-/-Long/product_info.html?CDpath=1
Fingers crossed

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well, finding the King Arms Colt's marked ones is a real challenge.  I can find none in the US, only out of country.  I find that most cant ship out of their country to me.  Bummer!

But....I just found one in HK that says they are in stock, have the Colt's mkgs, will ship to the US and at a reasonable price.  I ordered after hours (12hrs difference) so I hope to hear from them late this evening.

Fingers crossed  
View Quote
If anyone wants to try the G&P one here is the link for ordering from Hong Kong

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Launchers_Related_Parts_G_P_G_P_Military_Type_M203_Grenade_Launcher_Long.htm

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  Well, finding the King Arms Colt's marked ones is a real challenge.  I can find none in the US, only out of country.  I find that most cant ship out of their country to me.  Bummer!

Here's the link:

http://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p4898/King-Arms-M203-Grenade-Launcher-Mil-/-Long/product_info.html?CDpath=1

Fingers crossed  
View Quote

$87, no less, lol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Launchers_Related_Parts_G_P_G_P_Military_Type_M203_Grenade_Launcher_Long.htm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fingers crossed  

The same site also lists another version that is 30% heavier than the above listed $84 variety (1.3 kg, which is the same weight as an original) complete with Colt markings for $142 plus shipping.  This appears to be the MOST ACCURATE one out there.  If you order one of the green gas shells with it, use RWSALE2014 for 10% off the shell.  The shells go "boom" and give off a cloud of smoke when fired.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The same site also lists another version that is 30% heavier than the above listed $84 variety (1.3 kg, which is the same weight as an original) complete with Colt markings for $142 plus shipping.  This appears to be the MOST ACCURATE one out there.  If you order one of the green gas shells with it, use RWSALE2014 for 10% off the shell.  The shells go "boom" and give off a cloud of smoke when fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fingers crossed  

If you can find them, they make mini-tennis balls as dog toys, which fit very well in the 40mm tube.  Using an empty shell, you can launch them quite a ways.  Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a King Arms one w/ the Colt markings since my state sucks & doesn't allow DDs. I hadn't realized that until I'd looked for a DD dealer. My wife said she'd get me an LMT M203 if I went along with her wanting to buy a house.

It's going on an M16A2 clone build. Just mocking it up I've noticed the front bracket has a significant gap. I need to have a shim or something made to take up the space. And this is going on a Windham 20" gov't profile A2 barrel.

All in all it looks really nice but it's still Airsoft. The first one I'd gotten had been damaged in shipping with some tiny little inside piece broken. The vendor got it taken care of fine.

ETA: I got mine in Feb. '15 for $64.95 from airrattle.com

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, now I hear from the seller in Hong Kong, they don't ship these to the US either.  Damn!  Only ones I can find that are Colts marked are all overseas and no one will ship to the US. Double Dog Damn!!

Back on the hunt.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fingers crossed  

The one you are talking about is a QD version. I can't tell how it works based on the photos but the company said it is the quick detach mechanism that adds the extra weight, and other than that they are the same.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#20]
If you guys are looking for those h/gs watch Ebay or gunbroker.. ive seen the real USGI ones listed on there every few weeks...
And probably better priced than the airsoft... way less...

The USGI version has a NSN number on the top, raised plastic letters....
Some are more fibery some more polymer.. I thnk they were made at different plants all the same spec

Inteested in a muzzleloader version
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  I have a King Arms one w/ the Colt markings since my state sucks & doesn't allow DDs. I hadn't realized that until I'd looked for a DD dealer. My wife said she'd get me an LMT M203 if I went along with her wanting to buy a house.

It's going on an M16A2 clone build. Just mocking it up I've noticed the front bracket has a significant gap. I need to have a shim or something made to take up the space. And this is going on a Windham 20" gov't profile A2 barrel.

All in all it looks really nice but it's still Airsoft. The first one I'd gotten had been damaged in shipping with some tiny little inside piece broken. The vendor got it taken care of fine.

View Quote

37mm flare launchers are NOT DDs.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Found this video and thought you guys might enjoy it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lj29QCm_Pg[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  Found this video and thought you guys might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lj29QCm_Pg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If you guys are looking for those h/gs watch Ebay or gunbroker.. ive seen the real USGI ones listed on there every few weeks...

And probably better priced than the airsoft... way less...

The USGI version has a NSN number on the top, raised plastic letters....

Some are more fibery some more polymer.. I thnk they were made at different plants all the same spec
Inteested in a muzzleloader version
View Quote
Were you interested in my muzzleloader or wanting to build one yourself? I may sell some of the custom parts I've made or even a whole setup.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I talked with a guy on eBay who has at least eight sets of these. They are beat up and look the part. Some of them are even broken. I asked what numbers were on them and this is his reply.

"At the sight mount it is marked 8448377 8x897 on Hand Guards A & F some just have the part number."

So tell me, what does this mean? Are they real? They are expensive too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#26]
If they are "REAL" you cannot just buy them.  No idea on the markings.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If they are "REAL" you cannot just buy them.  No idea on the markings.
View Quote

The handguards? I'm not following what you mean in not being able to just buy them. If you mean the M203 itself I understand that. I need to read what I typed maybe I typed it wrong earlier lol. I shouldn't type when I'm tired.

The handguards on eBay that are being sold are being sold by the same person. There are like at least six maybe ten for sets for sale by the same person. Some are broken and some are in good shape just look really weathered.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#28]
No, probably my bad for readin too fast.  I did think you meant the blasters.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, probably my bad for readin too fast.  I did think you meant the blasters.
View Quote

No worries I do that too lol. Should see some of my text at times. Thank goodness so far it has only been to friends and not my bosses.

I would love to own a real M203 but it is just a pipe dream lol. I will have fun with this build.

I talked to Slim today and they do not have any M203 handguards.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:33:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I have a King Arms one w/ the Colt markings since my state sucks & doesn't allow DDs. I hadn't realized that until I'd looked for a DD dealer. My wife said she'd get me an LMT M203 if I went along with her wanting to buy a house.

I've yet to find a 37mm flare launcher that in any way looks like a real 203.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:55:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a real market for the item for sure. I bet 100 would sell
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I would buy one if I could find one that actually looked like the real thing
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Lets bump this to the top.

Anything new on this project?

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ordered one of the G&P ones WITH Colt markings for $84 + $36 airmail shipping.  According to the tracking information, it should be here in a few days.  I'll post pictures when it gets here.  I have an original M203 handguard with sight that I will use to mount this on a late Vietnam M16A1 clone that I built.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I ordered one of the G&P ones WITH Colt markings for $84 + $36 airmail shipping.  According to the tracking information, it should be here in a few days.  I'll post pictures when it gets here.  I have an original M203 handguard with sight that I will use to mount this on a late Vietnam M16A1 clone that I built.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G&P generally makes pretty good stuff. They are known for their body's and externals as well as the guts (although the internals often need tuning). I'm guessing the expensive shipping is because you had to order from Asia to get the Colt markings?

Edit: Why am I now considering this as an excuse to do an A2 build?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

G&P generally makes pretty good stuff. They are known for their body's and externals as well as the guts (although the internals often need tuning). I'm guessing the expensive shipping is because you had to order from Asia to get the Colt markings?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it is coming from Hong Kong, and their only shipping option was Airmail.  I could not find one ANYWHERE in the US with Colt markings.  Also, you don't need this an an excuse for an A2 build, plenty of these were used on A1's.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine is on the way also. Again from Hong Kong.  I have the upper hand guard as well and as Indiana said, mine will go on an M16A1 H&R build.  Should be here by weeks end.

Oh, and I paid about the same price and am promised the Colt's markings. Fingers crossed
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Mine is on the way also. Again from Hong Kong.  I have the upper hand guard as well and as Indiana said, mine will go on an M16A1 H&R build.  Should be here by weeks end.

Oh, and I paid about the same price and am promised the Colt's markings. Fingers crossed
View Quote

I'm glad you got yours, as they are now "SOLD OUT" and don't know when more will be back in stock.  Let's race to see who can post photos first, lol
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I think you'll get yours first, but "You're on!"
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought the G&P colt marked short barrel and their long barreled RIS mount m203 the other day from airrattle. If I swap the barrels I'll have an authentic full length one. Cost for both was likely less than shipping from HK.
I also picked up the scar grenade launcher as my new muzzle loader firing mechanism will drop into any 40mm airsoft and work

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes, it is coming from Hong Kong, and their only shipping option was Airmail.  I could not find one ANYWHERE in the US with Colt markings.  Also, you don't need this an an excuse for an A2 build, plenty of these were used on A1's.
View Quote

But I already have a 604 and am waiting for the an NDS A1 lower.. and no A2.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Where did you guys order from? I have been looking at evik but not sure yet. I want to build one of these so bad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#43]
http://tiger111hk.com/  I think I got their last one
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I got mine from redwolfairsoft.com but I got their last one too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#45]
You guys are making it a challenge to get one lol.

I think there are a few other places that have them. Once I get to that point I will find one. It does make me want to step up and get a flare launcher. But the look is a little different. I see a few other M203 (long tube) launchers so there are options. I would love to have it Colt marked.

While I am at it. Is the flash hider on the M203 different? They look different.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  While I am at it. Is the flash hider on the M203 different? They look different.
View Quote

Que?  Flash hider?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

You guys are making it a challenge to get one lol.
I think there are a few other places that have them. Once I get to that point I will find one. It does make me want to step up and get a flare launcher. But the look is a little different. I see a few other M203 (long tube) launchers so there are options. I would love to have it Colt marked.
While I am at it. Is the flash hider on the M203 different? They look different.
View Quote

Likely the m16a1 would be the most appropriate rifle to mount one to. Thus the A1 birdcage is most appropriate.

I noticed on goggle a lot of the photos have the rain cap over the flash hider. This was just a piece of plastic to keep dirt, water, .etc out of the barrel. It blows off when you fire a round.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Does anyone know if the hand guard was always made of a composite, or were the earliest ones made of sheet metal?  Also it appears that these do not need the rear sights that attach to the handle to aim.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the hand guard was always made of a composite, or were the earliest ones made of sheet metal?  Also it appears that these do not need the rear sights that attach to the handle to aim.
View Quote

From vets that I have talked to, the carry handle sight was rarely used - kind of like the WWII US grenade launching sight that attached to the stock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Period photos seem to support those statements.
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top