Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2016 11:11:47 PM EDT
Picked up one of the new Brownell's retro lowers at my LGS...

This will become (hopefully) an XM-177E1...

It was not cheap though ($179 for the receiver), but considering that A1 lowers are not plentiful, like A2/M4 lowers, I'll suck it up and Ranger on...

Hope HeatNBeat is still out there, I might have to call upon his skills to help me put this together.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
nice, now get it built :)
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
It does look like they did a nice job on those.  Glad to see that.
But my first thought was, "Is that a steering wheel or a game controller?"

My steering wheel has a horn ring.  Push it, and the horn honks.  That is all.

...Good God, my steering wheel is retro!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Well? There's a reason your name is "OlGunner" - You probably have a button on the floorboard to hit the high beams on your car; amirite?

Yeah, now I have to gather the parts, specially the upper and charging handle, so I can send those to US Anodizing to get them all matching. Then probably buy a lightweight 11.5" barrel from Bravo Co. and have it cut to 10.3", then get the correct non-F FSB and have there mayo lug cut and parked as well...

This will take some time. But I have all year to do it right.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You probably have a button on the floorboard to hit the high beams on your car; amirite?
View Quote

Ugh, they should never have stopped making them that way! I've been stomping on the floor of my '93 Buick trying to turn my hi/lo beams on/off lately.

That's a pretty nice looking lower. Looks like they did a nice job on them. I wonder how much finish work is left for them when they get them from NDS?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice lower.. BTW, I'm old enough to remember vehicles that had a starter button on the floor almost like the high beam switch!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Brownells bought forgings, and had them machined to lower receivers. We did not send lower receivers to Brownells.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
.That's a pretty nice looking lower. Looks like they did a nice job on them. I wonder how much finish work is left for them when they get them from NDS?

Brownells bought forgings, and had them machined to lower receivers. We did not send lower receivers to Brownells.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

So they had a lot of work left then!
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:27:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Wonder why they went black instead of grey.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well? There's a reason your name is "OlGunner" - <SNIP>
Then probably buy a lightweight 11.5" barrel from Bravo Co. and have it cut to 10.3", then get the correct non-F FSB and have there mayo lug cut and parked as well...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then probably buy a lightweight 11.5" barrel from Bravo Co. and have it cut to 10.3", then get the correct non-F FSB and have there mayo lug cut and parked as well...

You want 10.0" for retro, not 10.3" or 10.5". I think it was the Galil ARM that had the MAYO lug, it was part of its wacky bipod that opened mayo jars and beer bottles. Damn youngsters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#10]
You would have better reliability if you build an XM177E2 with an 11.5" barrel.  With out 10" GAUs, we had to open the gas ports to .108" on the 10 inchers to increase reliability.  It was hard on gas rings, though, and in general hard on the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You want 10.0" for retro, not 10.3" or 10.5". I think it was the Galil ARM that had the MAYO lug, it was part of its wacky bipod that opened mayo jars and beer bottles. Damn youngsters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess those were banned in New York because they caused people to gain weight.

Yes. That was the bipod on the Galil ARM that had the bottle opener built in. It was to prevent people from using the magazines and damaging the feed lips.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
.That's a pretty nice looking lower. Looks like they did a nice job on them. I wonder how much finish work is left for them when they get them from NDS?

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

What about the uppers? Did you guys sell those to Brownell's as forgings or were they completed by NDS?

Who ever did it, the machining on the upper I got from Brownell's is excellent.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wonder why they went black instead of grey.
View Quote

Smaller percentage of blems/less surface prep needed IIRC according to NDS.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You would have better reliability if you build an XM177E2 with an 11.5" barrel.  With out 10" GAUs, we had to open the gas ports to .108" on the 10 inchers to increase reliability.  It was hard on gas rings, though, and in general hard on the weapon.
View Quote

0.093" works like a clock on my XM177E1
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're killing me, Smalls.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm glad to see Brownells put those out, I kind of want one of the A1 stripped uppers and a lower like that.

I just wish they anodized them in the gray like the 1960s' rifles were.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm glad to see Brownells put those out, I kind of want one of the A1 stripped uppers and a lower like that.

I just wish they anodized them in the gray like the 1960s' rifles were.
View Quote

Agreed. I will check their uppers right now: I need to gather it all up and sent it for anodizing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Finally ordered the upper from Brownell's. Project is back on track.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
The BBToH (Big Brown Truck 'o Happiness) has delivered...

A beautiful NDS-603 upper receiver.

Along with some parts needed to put the upper together, the A1 rear sight assembly and Colt dust cover were purchased earlier from Gunbroker.

20 minutes later (I was eating while doing this, so it was "bite-bite, sip-sip" and assembling the upper; WHO SAYS I'M NOT A MULTITASKER? )

Add a charging handle from my parts bin, and...

BAZINGA!

Everything aligns and matches beautifully; and the color matches as well. My only regret is that Brownell's doesn't sell these in the correct "Colt Gray" color; otherwise, they would be perfect.

Definitely worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/38771EF4-C1A1-4F61-A3D3-CC7D612EE324_zpsmt7zvrzg.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/C37F0421-73F5-4990-B816-045A627F59D4_zpsmcbdy3qf.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/A2CE1228-7C54-46F7-B935-E50E40B12563_zpsdgpxq1ya.jpg

Along with some parts needed to put the upper together, the A1 rear sight assembly and Colt dust cover were purchased earlier from Gunbroker.

20 minutes later (I was eating while doing this, so it was "bite-bite, sip-sip" and assembling the upper; WHO SAYS I'M NOT A MULTITASKER? )

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/30B11FD1-C390-4512-9AE0-0CF2D2474CFF_zpskl4yzhe4.jpg

BAZINGA!

Everything aligns and matches beautifully; and the color matches as well. My only regret is that Brownell's doesn't sell these in the correct "Colt Gray" color; otherwise, they would be perfect.

View Quote

Good progress!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
(I was eating while doing this, so it was "bite-bite, sip-sip" and assembling the upper; WHO SAYS I'M NOT A MULTITASKER? )

Nice Progress, I work the same way. The problem I have is I either get food stuck in the port door or I end up trying to take a bite out of my upper.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a good day!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:26:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I just paid off my credit card. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Only thing I need now is the stock assembly and maybe a no tick selector; used a regular ticked selector I had on my parts bin until I can get one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]
New update - Got my hands on an SP1 2-position Buffer tube assembly and that should leave me with only the elusive, vinyl-coated aluminum stock left. That should make the lower complete, so I can then focus on the upper receiver. I should be receiving the skinny handguards today, so I will post pics when I get them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
New update - Got my hands on an SP1 2-position Buffer tube assembly and that should leave me with only the elusive, vinyl-coated aluminum stock left. That should make the lower complete, so I can then focus on the upper receiver. I should be receiving the skinny handguards today, so I will post pics when I get them.
View Quote

You can get a nice repro aluminum CAR stock at Essential Arms, gotta call to order it. They will recommend using their tube for a good fit, but it should fit the Colt tube just fine.

http://essentialarms.com/ieSTOCKS.html
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#29]
+1 on the EA stock.  Just bought one and did a comparison here on my 629 topic.  Waiting for NDS to have their 2 Pos buffer tube back in stock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Well? I bought the buffer tube assembly from "genofromreno" on GB and it came in the mail today.

I might now have to see if the EA stock will fit the Colt SP1 buffer tube.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#31]
EA is Mil Spec
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
EA is Mil Spec
View Quote

Not the last one I got . It was so sloppy on the tube I sent it back, ended up finding a used colt , little to no rattle
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:07:07 AM EDT
[#33]
New pics of my ongoing project. I added a no tick H&R selector, still needs to be milled , so it fires (semi, of course) while in the AUTO setting...

And because I can; a Vietnam classic; the jungle taped mags.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Hooray! Secured an SP1 carbine barrel assembly. All it will need is the handguards, which I already have, and replace the flat delta ring with the correct one; then slap a buttstock and I'll have a complete Model 653 (that's still retro, right? ) until I can register the lower and then chop the barrel to correct length and add the Brick moderator I want.

Air Cav pilot carrying a Model 653 in the early 80s, so I guess it still retro.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#35]
A 653 would use a flat slip ring, rather than a tapered delta ring.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A 653 would use a flat slip ring, rather than a tapered delta ring.
View Quote

I just noticed that... Still; I am going for the XM177E2, which I've seen with both flat and tapered rings. I'm trying to be as accurate as I can, so the tapered one is the way to go for me. But I can do flat for the time being.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Getting there...

Alli need now is to get the stock and get the moderator and then have the barrel work done and finish it off with repark seizing the receiver to Early Colt Gray. Might just have the moderator pin/welded and keep the OAL at 16.25" to keep the ATF out of my hair.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Secured the final piece of this retro puzzle. I bought a fiberlite stock (non 1N marked) ; yes, I know it's not correct for an XM build, but fuck it; I will roll with it until I can get an SP1 Carbine stock. People asking upwards for $400 for the stock is retarded.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Haha! $400 for a vinyl stock acetate is crazy!  I remember back in the day (late 80s, everyone wanted the new Fiberite stocks, ans we pulled of the aluminum and had to use them on builds to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Dis-ease is right!  You are ill at ease without a completed retro, and always scheming on ways to get more....
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dis-ease is right!  You are ill at ease without a completed retro, and always scheming on ways to get more....
View Quote

Yup!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I gave a fully functioning rifle now...

Pretty happy with the results; as is, is a pretty nifty trunk gun; light as a feather, even with a loaded 20-round magazine.

All it needs now is a few things to make it a true XM177E2. But I'll enjoy the newest member of my family.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#43]
what color is that ? looks good

Quoted:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/38771EF4-C1A1-4F61-A3D3-CC7D612EE324_zpsmt7zvrzg.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/C37F0421-73F5-4990-B816-045A627F59D4_zpsmcbdy3qf.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/A2CE1228-7C54-46F7-B935-E50E40B12563_zpsdgpxq1ya.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/30B11FD1-C390-4512-9AE0-0CF2D2474CFF_zpskl4yzhe4.jpg

BAZINGA!

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#44]
nidak has black a1 type uppers ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
nidak has black a1 type uppers ?
View Quote

Technically; those are not Nodak; they're NDS castings, but finished by Brownell's and anodized in the modern MIL-A-8625E anodizing. The rifle will be refinished to match the old Colt Grey finish of the originals.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#46]
UPDATE - Got a hold of Brick and he said he will be making a new lot of moderators soon; I'm in for one, so I can get the barrel done and once that's done; then the refinishing of the rifle will proceed as scheduled.

Can't wait to get this project complete.

Hmmm; would it be too much for me to get a full VN era outfit to go along with the rifle? You know? Tiger Stripes, Jungle boots, full M56 gear and all that?

Too much?

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#47]
You can get that stuff here:  https://www.mooremilitaria.com/
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Very nice! Brownells should start making A1 port doors and rear sight assemblies too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You can get that stuff here:  https://www.mooremilitaria.com/
View Quote

Been looking at their uniform sets for a while; torn between their Advisor Cut gold tiger stripes and the ERDL; but I am leaning towards the SEAL impression, with the Levi jeans.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top