Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2016 3:41:56 AM EDT
Last question for the retro crowd for tonight.

http://www.mckay-ent.com/m16-a1-lower-receiver.html

Opinions on McKay m16a1 lowers? Someone was telling me Nodak gets their receivers from them, I cant remember if that was their AK receivers or AR ones.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Mckay lower last week and received it friday.  I own NDS lowers, but was curious about what Mckay was offering, and the quick shipping was a big plus so i figured i would try one out.  

The Positives:
- Quick Shipping, it is nice to be able to receive a lower the same week you ordered it.
- The Anodizing was surprisingly nice, and once oiled up matched my 603 upper perfectly.

The Negatives
- The attention to detail in the machining process is severely lacking.  Please refer to below photos.
-  I had to take a 1/4 bit to the rear takedown pin hole so the pin would fit.  I have heard others have had this issue also.
- The pistol grip screw threads don't seem to be tapped deep enough.  I screwed the A1 pistol grip screw in and with about 1/4 inch to go i felt like things were about to strip.  Had to use a really short screw i had in spare parts plus a washer before i could get a tight fit.

Considering after shipping these cost more than a NDS lower i was really disappointed with the lack of quality in the machining process.  I wanted to test the waters with Mckay, but I will continue to buy from Nodak from here on out, you cant beat their quality or attention to detail.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a McKay A1 lower last year to give it a shot. It was not nearly as expensive as they are now. It is cheaper to buy the Nodak receiver and they are better quality as well. The McKay receiver did have some issues as was stated above. I have never had any issues with Nodak receivers and I have a bunch of them being used.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The machining on the lower where the buffer tube screws in is a deal breaker to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
This is exactly why you don't impulse buy when you are tired and pissed off about stuff that happened earlier in the day.

Thanks for all the warning guys and, Mike thanks for clearing up the hearsay.

Unfortunately i have two of these headed my way now. Oh well, live and learn.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Mckay lower last week and received it friday.  I own NDS lowers, but was curious about what Mckay was offering, and the quick shipping was a big plus so i figured i would try one out.  

The Positives:
- Quick Shipping, it is nice to be able to receive a lower the same week you ordered it.
- The Anodizing was surprisingly nice, and once oiled up matched my 603 upper perfectly.

The Negatives
- The attention to detail in the machining process is severely lacking.  Please refer to below photos.
-  I had to take a 1/4 bit to the rear takedown pin hole so the pin would fit.  I have heard others have had this issue also.
- The pistol grip screw threads don't seem to be tapped deep enough.  I screwed the A1 pistol grip screw in and with about 1/4 inch to go i felt like things were about to strip.  Had to use a really short screw i had in spare parts plus a washer before i could get a tight fit.

http://i.imgur.com/RX4dmEt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4LYwq93.jpg

Considering after shipping these cost more than a NDS lower i was really disappointed with the lack of quality in the machining process.  I wanted to test the waters with Mckay, but I will continue to buy from Nodak from here on out, you cant beat their quality or attention to detail.
View Quote

The 2 issues you pointed out are indicative of anodizing build up. Very common even with NDS ones and NOT the fault of the manufacturer. It has always been recommended that folks "chase" the PG screw hole with a 1/4 x 28 tap, and hand run a 1/4" drill bit thru the pivot and takedown pin holes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll second 64cyclone's comments.

We each spend a fair amount of money on our builds, stick with NDS.

Best, BC
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:28:39 AM EDT
[#8]
NDS all the way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#9]
close....but no cigar

...if they can fix the two issues in the pics above, they would sell a ton of them

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The 2 issues you pointed out are indicative of anodizing build up. Very common even with NDS ones and NOT the fault of the manufacturer. It has always been recommended that folks "chase" the PG screw hole with a 1/4 x 28 tap, and hand run a 1/4" drill bit thru the pivot and takedown pin holes.
View Quote

Interesting about the pivot and takedown holes. On my NDS lower it is very difficult to get the pins moving for disassembly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I realize the issue, but I have had dozens of lowers and owned NDS lowers and never had this issue before.  A manufacturer could quickly chase their own work to remove that build up, and shouldn't expect customers to finish their work.  So YES it is the fault of the manufacturer in my opinion, especially when they are charging so much for these lowers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 NDS Lowers.  They are very tight with my uppers but functional with help from a tool like a cleaning brush getting the takedown pins moving..  They do loosen up with time.  I would rather have them tight and functional than loose and moving/rattling.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top