Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2016 7:34:45 PM EDT
I recently acquired a D and K marked new upper receiver. It was in a USGI FY1990 contract dated package. The NSN matches that of the "field sight" upper (with brass deflector) shown in the 1991 dated TM 9-1005-249-23 & P. The contract, DAAA09-90-C-0011, shows to be let to DIXIE TOOL & DIE COMPANY INC (CAGE Code 59296) of Gadsden, Alabama. I assume that the "D" is their mark, but who does the "K" stand for? This may have been asked and answered, but my search turned up nothing...plus I figured some folks would like to see this nice piece of retro.

Here is the upper with the packaging:

D and K markings:

Image of this type of upper from the 1991 dated TM 9-1005-249-23 & P:

Image of the upper receiver listed with the part number 12576280 (which matches the packaging):

Image of the table showing part number 12576280 corresponding to the NSN 1005-01-248-5858 (which matches the packaging):

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I would guess Kaiser, nice upper
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Where did you find the info on the contract number that led you to that manufacturer? I've been trying to figure out how/where to view/find old contracts and check manufacturers?

William
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where did you find the info on the contract number that led you to that manufacturer? I've been trying to figure out how/where to view/find old contracts and check manufacturers?

William
View Quote

Same.  I'd like to know as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Where'd you get it?  I'd be interested in buying one if there are more available!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where'd you get it?  I'd be interested in buying one if there are more available!
View Quote

Bought it from a guy here in Texas, only one he had. He sold it to me as a Diemaco upper - but the NSN gave it away.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the same upper on this Bushmaster upper from the early 1990s.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#7]
These D uppers are commonly mislabeled and sold as Diemaco, the seller may have thought that's what they were. I've even seen reference to them as Diemaco's on here. It's good to know that Dixie is the proper label for them.

William

Quoted:

Bought it from a guy here in Texas, only one he had. He sold it to me as a Diemaco upper - but the NSN gave it away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
It's good to know that Dixie is the proper label for them

Thanks OP for sharing info.  I didn't know this and have always called them Diemaco and thought they were Canadian mfg / machine..

I have the same upper on this Bushmaster upper from the early 1990s.

In early years BM bought most anything they could get there hands on for cheap and lots of the true milspec mfg pieces from the same govt subs as Colt.  Probably hired ex-Colt purchasing agent or such and it was on.   Inventories on many items weren't expired until early 2000's.  Back a few years most anyone in retroland bought BM pieces due to them being grey in color even if a little pricey for the times.  They were new and cheap by today's standards for what one actually received.  Clearance section at BM www was a regular part of one's retro parts search and grapevine would spread the word with part numbers etc.. I'd bet a lot of the grey retro stuff we see today in reality came from the BM clearance section.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top