Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/12/2016 7:00:07 PM EDT
I've noticed that Air Force builds are pretty much 'anything goes' which makes them fun in terms
of parts and especially barrels.

However, the thought came to mind, what does the AF do about adding a M4 feedramps barrel
to a A1 upper, non-feed ramp?

Supposedly it's really bad to do this, that said I ran a M4 upper with a rifle barrel for years and no issues.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've noticed that Air Force builds are pretty much 'anything goes' which makes them fun in terms
of parts and especially barrels.

However, the thought came to mind, what does the AF do about adding a M4 feedramps barrel
to a A1 upper, non-feed ramp?

Supposedly it's really bad to do this, that said I ran a M4 upper with a rifle barrel for years and no issues.

Thanks.
View Quote

Running a barrel with M4 feed ramps in a rifle upper is an "OK" configuration. M4 receiver and rifle extension is a no go. I'm surprised you didnt have feed issues.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
They work, but  i wouldnt want one on battle field!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Air force was the dumping ground for basically obsolete pieces once the milspec changed for the ground pounders.  The spare parts basically ended up in AF parts bins for repair in many instances.  Also National Guard and used for training for CB's etc.  Check production years for 604 weapons and you will see gaps generally coincide with milspec changes and production using said pieces.  They didn't simply throw away much of anything like we do today.

Even H-D today will try and unload the earlier not so up to par repair pieces on the unknowing while they are fully aware of problematic pieces and their revised offerings.  Same with PC components capacitors and such. Some would call it good business and some wouldn't.  Depends on which side of the fence one is on.  The one selling the junk or the one buying the junk.

Not like a M-16 won't function fine or even better in many instances with the earlier production pieces.  Just wasn't up to the milspec as it changed.  AF didn't much care about milspec changes way back when. Tax coins at work and not waste.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
oh right, rifle upper + M4 bbl = ok.
forgot, brain fade due to summer head cold.
thanks lads!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top