Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2016 12:08:01 PM EDT
I have some 601 pistol grips with lime green oxidized paint on them.  I have read on this forum, several times, about using "mother's mag wheel polish" to remove the oxidation, and return the green paint to its original color.  So, I purchased said polish, and have spent at least an hour polishing my grip, even losing some of its paint in the process.  If anything, the paint now looks MORE oxidized.  What am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I got nothing other than perhaps your paint is just too far gone?

I have used it on several 601 grips, one 601 hand guard and stock and worked like a charm. I have even used it trying to make some shiny mottled black furniture by sanding and then polishing.

Are you doing it by hand or with a machine?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a drop or two of veg oil or such instead of polishing compound.  It will always wash off if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Try using some toothpaste.  Or simply try some oil, I like Mineral oil, and work it in by hand.  I have had great success doing all of these.  Turtle Wax works for me as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics?
View Quote

The one on the left is the one I have been polishing

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Just try the oil method.  I think you'll be pleased.  Just work it in with your hands.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
White Lithium Grease.  
Slather it on, let it sit overnight, wipe it off in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Id use a non petroleum based oil.  I like Mineral Oil because it doesnt get rancid or attack your paint or plastic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Id use a non petroleum based oil.  I like Mineral Oil because it doesnt get rancid or attack your paint or plastic.
View Quote

Mineral Oil IS A PETROLEUM BASED OIL.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've done  a few that looked  as faded as yours  (mine had more original paint) with canola oil and they always came out looking much closer to original color.  Polish generally takes off too much of original finish as you are aware.

You DON'T want to use Vegetable oils.

Good to know.  Been doing it for years and never had a problem.  I generally wash it off after application with mild soap after color is restored,  possibly why I've never observed any rancidity or other problems down the road.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, Mineral Oil is Petroleum based.

And it's Petroleum based oils that DON'T go rancid, like organic based oils.  You DON'T want to use Vegetable oils.

The paint applied is an oil based paint.  It hasn't harmed the plastic beneath.

Middle Grip here:

After Cleaning/Greasing:

It hasn't gone rancid.  It hasn't eaten through the paint or the plastic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I stand corrected, a couple times.  My sincere apologies.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need to apologize, you just cornfused me, lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've done  a few that looked  as faded as yours  (mine had more original paint) with canola oil and they always came out looking much closer to original color.  Polish generally takes off too much of original finish as you are aware.

You DON'T want to use Vegetable oils.

Good to know.  Been doing it for years and never had a problem.  I generally wash it off after application with mild soap after color is restored,  possibly why I've never observed any rancidity or other problems down the road.
View Quote

I overstated things a bit.  Veg Oil CAN go rancid.  It doesn't mean it WILL.  Most of the time, it should be fine, but generally, if you can, it's better to use a petroleum based oil for things like this.  

That's why you use Mineral Oil on cutting boards and such too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know how aggressive the mag wheel stuff is, but I have always used an auto polishing (NOT RUBBING) compound that is extremely fine, and the Mothers wax buffing ball chucked in my drill press and it's always work very well. I don't press the part into the ball hard, just light touch. It does take some time so patience is a virtue.
I seem to remember other members also using WD40.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Ding, Ding, we have a WINNER!  Petroleum jelly it is.  These are the same two grips that I posted above, after 24 hours of being coated with the petroleum jelly.  They look SO MUCH BETTER!  Thanks for everybody's help and suggestions.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Wooo!  Lookin good, Indiana!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I went looking in my photobucket for photos and found these:

Stock pre-polish

Post-polish

Hand guard and grips pre polish, sorry no after pics but they came out very good
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Glad everything turned out.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top