Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2016 7:01:57 AM EDT
Portuguese troops in action with the AR10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMIF0vsaaLk
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool, those were the coolest AR10's.  Recoil looked a touch stiff when they were shooting.  Clearly not as smooth as a FAL.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]

made url hot and imbedded...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMIF0vsaaLk
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The AR10 is a lot smoother than a FAL.
Eventhough the FAL is heavier, the felt recoil is more than with the AR10.
I didn't shot mine a lot the last few years but everytime I do it brings a big smile on my face.
Especialy when I bring the carbine upper.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't shot mine a lot the last few years but everytime I do it brings a big smile on my face.
View Quote

My comments relate to the original AR10, not anything made currently.  I've fired both the original AR10 and a 50.00 FAL and my observation was that the FAL was the smoothest, lowest recoil of all the .308 battle rifles.  I have actually fired an original AR10 in full auto also and while it was a handful, it was much better than the M14, but to me not as controllable as the FAL (at least in my hands).  Back in the '80's I worked for one of the largest class 3 small arms importers in the US and got to shoot a lot of really cool MG's...the absolute coolest being the Johnson 1941 LMG, from which Stoner used to copy the AR's bolt and recoil system.  

I was just making an observation of the video; recoil looked a little snappy.  I do recall recoil being a little stiffer with the AR10 over the FAL, but I never thought the AR was un-pleasant by any means, and I thought it was much smoother than the M14 or G3.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My comments relate to the original AR10, not anything made currently.  I've fired both the original AR10 and a 50.00 FAL and my observation was that the FAL was the smoothest, lowest recoil of all the .308 battle rifles.  I have actually fired an original AR10 in full auto also and while it was a handful, it was much better than the M14, but to me not as controllable as the FAL (at least in my hands).  Back in the '80's I worked for one of the largest class 3 small arms importers in the US and got to shoot a lot of really cool MG's...the absolute coolest being the Johnson 1941 LMG, from which Stoner used to copy the AR's bolt and recoil system.  

I was just making an observation of the video; recoil looked a little snappy.  I do recall recoil being a little stiffer with the AR10 over the FAL, but I never thought the AR was un-pleasant by any means, and I thought it was much smoother than the M14 or G3.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm quite certain ar10stef was also talking about original AR10s.

It seems we have subjectively different impressions, although we can agree that the M14 is the least controllable of the three rifles you mention.  We used to kneel on the web sling to help control the M14s on full auto!

If there is such a thing as an "easily manageable" 7.62 automatic rifle, I don't know what it is.  But the straight-line recoil of the AR produces less rise than the FAL and is, in my opinion, much easier to keep "on target" during short bursts than the FAL. ("On target" meaning in the general direction of the target.)

I love my FALs.  They're certainly war beasts.  But you're the first person I've heard say they're better on full auto than an AR10.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top