Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2015 11:44:39 PM EDT
Today, I contacted Slim at Indiana Army Surplus about some M16 parts. I got a whole bunch of parts ordered for an upcoming 604 build. I already have the handguards set aside. On Monday, I am sending out funds for a 604 upper. I will, most likely, buy a Brownell's barrel for this build if I cannot find an original Colt barrel for a decent price. I am undecided as to which FH to use. The BCG will be a Colt phosphate coated version. I know that these can be used on some early and late models. I already have an A1 FH in my box, but it would be nice to use a 3-prong. Anyhow, I will continue to gather parts a little here and there. I will also be working on getting parts for a modern build and a Commando build at the same time as this 604. This 604 has been a long time in the coming.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#1]
This is going to be an awesome build! I can't wait to see it as you build it and then finish it. The detail that you put into your rifles give those of us that are just starting out something to strive for.

Did the 604's only use a slick slab side upper or did it use one with a forward assist to? (I think I used the tight terminology here).

Now that you mentioned the commando what model is that and was it based off of the 604?

Slim at Indiana Army Surplus was awesome to deal with today when I called him. He blew me away with his knowledge and how quick he was with it.

Good luck (you don't need it) on the build. Can't wait to see some pics.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If you DO decide that you want a 3/4 round 604 carrier, I bought one before I learned about when they were introduced, so I really have no needs for them yet....but would love to help another retro-head starting and getting rid of some of this extra stuff so I don't try to take on a new project..

I'd be happy to help however I can, as I can locate a TON of parts too.  There's also a guy on Gunbroker selling 3 prongs that don't seem to be in bad condition for $25 or so.
v/r,
Jon
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did the 604's only use a slick slab side upper or did it use one with a forward assist to? (I think I used the tight terminology here).
View Quote

604 used a partial fence lower and no forward assist our brass deflection upper.

The 603 (E1/A1) was nomenclature given to the forward assist rifle.  
V/R,
Jon
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

604 used a partial fence lower and no forward assist our brass deflection upper.

V/R,
Jon
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V/R,
Jon

Okay, got it. I'm learning so much.

I think I saw a three prong flash hider on ebay earlier tonight. I typed in Colt M16 A1 and I also typed Colt A1. I found different things with both searches.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think I saw a three prong flash hider on ebay earlier tonight. I typed in Colt M16 A1 and I also typed Colt A1. I found different things with both searches.
View Quote

Be careful with E-Bay until you know your stuff super well.  I've seen so many "Colt 601" pistol grips that were A1 or whatever.  Probably only once have I seen a 601 component on there, and that was a right side of a handguard that was camo'd up.  There are occasionally good deals, but there are MANY more on the EE and Gunbroker.  
v/r,
Jon
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Be careful with E-Bay until you know your stuff super well.  I've seen so many "Colt 601" pistol grips that were A1 or whatever.  Probably only once have I seen a 601 component on there, and that was a right side of a handguard that was camo'd up.  There are occasionally good deals, but there are MANY more on the EE and Gunbroker.  
v/r,
Jon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

v/r,
Jon

Thanks! I'm just looking around and not buying until I'm better informed. Kind of lining things up as my go to places. I will ask a lot of questions before I buy too.

When did the 604 phase out of active duty in Vietnam?

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Looking forward to your 604 build. I'm in the middle of assembling one now. All I need is a original Colt 604 upper (at a decent price I like. people in hell want ice water too), or another NDS 604 which works just fine. My 604 will be an early model sporting a non chromed lined 1-12 barrel, slick side chrome BCG, non trap door stock, and 3 prong flash hider. I need to find a seat belt sling also. When I bought my last 3 I thought I was done in the retro world of building them..... sure.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]
In for the pics. This is going to be good.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I will make sure that I keep you guys up to date with the progress and pics.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]

604 goodness
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is an update. I just got in a nice box of stuff from Slim at Indiana Army Surplus. Here are some pics of what I just received.

Colt BCG

Receiver extension, buffer, and spring

C stock

Pistol grip

The small stuff

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I also need some advice. Judging from the parts that I have, what lower (partial or full-fence) and FH would be recommended? I really like the 3-prong and the partial fence, but I want to make sure that they jive with the BCG that I have. I may be getting a Colt C MP CHROME BORE barrel for this build. I know it is not correct for the 604, but it is close enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I may be getting a Colt C MP CHROME BORE barrel for this build. I know it is not correct for the 604, but it is close enough for me.
View Quote

They didnt make 604's after 1974?
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may be getting a Colt C MP CHROME BORE barrel for this build. I know it is not correct for the 604, but it is close enough for me.

I am not sure and I am not sure they ever used C MP CHROME BORE barrels for the 604s. It may turn out that I may be getting a C MP C barrel instead. Working on that right now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that bolt an H&R?
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Who is slim at Indiana surplus? Looks like I missed
A new parts supplier. Anybody have a link ?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is that bolt an H&R?
View Quote

I have been told it is a GM bolt.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indiana Army Surplus was a company that was made known to us back around February of this year. It turned out that the man who original had the company had bought all kinds of M16 parts over the years and stored them in crates in a big warehouse he had where the business is located. When he passed away, he kids took over the business and they started going through the crates and discovered all of these parts. By word of mouth, it spread that they had these parts. They still had to see what all they had before they started selling them. Well, that did not take long and many of us started sending in orders for what we wanted. None of this stuff is on the company's website. You have to contact Slim (salesperson and long time employee) directly. He is pretty much handling all of the orders for this stuff. They are running very low on some things now. They are running low on stocks, BCGs, no-forge code uppers, and a few other things. If you are in the hunt for certain parts, you can call Slim at 812-275-2801 and tell him that James Rea sent you. I have sent him several people in the past several months.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trimdad not sure if I can post a link or not. Google them by name "Indiana Army Surplus" and they will come up. Slim is a great guy to deal with.

Jrs where are you finding the barrels?

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Trimdad not sure if I can post a link or not. Google them by name "Indiana Army Surplus" and they will come up. Slim is a great guy to deal with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HKILLER
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do thanks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Well guys, I got my 604 upper and C MP C barrel in from HKILLER yesterday. He even installed a 3-prong FH on it for me. This afternoon, I will be putting the upper together which will only take a few minutes. The lower is on order from Nodak Spud, so it will be a little while before that comes in. That is okay. I am a patient man. Oh, BTW, I know this will not be a 100% correct build and I am okay with that. I may be scoring a parked slickside bolt carrier from HKILLER as well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#24]
You going full or partial fence with this one?

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Post a picture showing the receiver lug (like you are looking down the buffer tube hole ) on your C stock. It looks like a D to me, which would be right for your 604 anyway.

Love seeing 604 builds. That partial fence lower.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Post a picture showing the receiver lug (like you are looking down the buffer tube hole ) on your C stock. It looks like a D to me, which would be right for your 604 anyway.

Love seeing 604 builds. That partial fence lower.
View Quote

I put that stock on my 602 and the D stock that was on the 602 is going on the 604. I am using a partial-fence lower. Looks like I am getting a slickside bolt carrier from HKILLER. I overlooked the need to a charging handle. If anyone has a XM Gray one laying around, let me know.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice looking 604 Harlan.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I got the upper assembly done this afternoon. Everything went  together great. I snapped the upper onto my XM16E1 lower assembly and I am taking it to the range in the morning to sight it in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got the upper assembly done this afternoon. Everything went  together great. I snapped the upper onto my XM16E1 lower assembly and I am taking it to the range in the morning to sight it in.
View Quote

Don't forget pictures and range report.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 3:06:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My 604 type rifle. NDS partial fence NDS-XM16E1 lower, NDS-604 upper, both BLEM's. On the lower look for the aluminum flake that came off the left side ring for the receiver extension.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/604_rifle_right_side_overall.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/604_rifle_angle_overall.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/604_rifle_lower_upper.jpg

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
View Quote

I thought the Cardinal rule of any dealer was to not use your own product?!

Nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad your doing a 604 bro. Shall I post a picture of the Gold Standard of the 604? My Early 604... It's been so long since I have been on arfcom, I dunno if that thread is that is still in the Archives. Good move swapping the Stocks..... I got a couple nice Type C's from Slim and Co. @ Indiana...... I traded one off to GeoBartlett for a Transitional slickside Colt BCG, the one with the parked carrier, chrome key, and chrome wide band MP Bolt. At the moment that's sitting on my workbench inside the 605's upper receiver. It's nice to be able to order NDS lowers again being out of CT..... Looking Good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Glad your doing a 604 bro. Shall I post a picture of the Gold Standard of the 604? My Early 604... It's been so long since I have been on arfcom, I dunno if that thread is that is still in the Archives. Good move swapping the Stocks..... I got a couple nice Type C's from Slim and Co. @ Indiana...... I traded one off to GeoBartlett for a Transitional slickside Colt BCG, the one with the parked carrier, chrome key, and chrome wide band MP Bolt. At the moment that's sitting on my workbench inside the 605's upper receiver. It's nice to be able to order NDS lowers again being out of CT..... Looking Good.
View Quote

Welcome back to America!
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Welcome back to America!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome back to America!

I posted a few days back to say hello to everyone but the thread got deleted for not being Tech related. Thanks.... Rough few months to say the least... It's good to see most everyone is still around.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I posted a few days back to say hello to everyone but the thread got deleted for not being Tech related. Thanks.... Rough few months to say the least... It's good to see most everyone is still around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome back to America!

I howdied at you on that thread too.

I was gone a few months but no one gave a shit!
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Well guys, the range trip went really well. Since I will not get the slickside bolt carrier and charging handle for another week or so, I used the BCG that I should earlier. As I stated, I put the upper on my XM16E1 lower and used the charging handle from the XM16E1 as well for the range test. It ran flawlessly. I only put twenty rounds through it. The only adjustments I had to make for zero (@ 50 yds.) was a few clicks to the left. Elevation was GTG. Here are a few pics of the 604 upper temporarily sitting on the XM16E1 lower.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well guys, the range trip went really well. Since I will not get the slickside bolt carrier and charging handle for another week or so, I used the BCG that I should earlier. As I stated, I put the upper on my XM16E1 lower and used the charging handle from the XM16E1 as well for the range test. It ran flawlessly. I only put twenty rounds through it. The only adjustments I had to make for zero (@ 50 yds.) was a few clicks to the left. Elevation was GTG. Here are a few pics of the 604 upper temporarily sitting on the XM16E1 lower.

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/006_zpscxubgdla.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/006_zpscxubgdla.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/002_zpsapr4g7tf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/002_zpsapr4g7tf.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/003_zpscw7gisbi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/003_zpscw7gisbi.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/004_zpsomiqjrq1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/004_zpsomiqjrq1.jpg</a>

View Quote

They look GOOD together!
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They look GOOD together!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/006_zpscxubgdla.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/006_zpscxubgdla.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/002_zpsapr4g7tf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/002_zpsapr4g7tf.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/003_zpscw7gisbi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/003_zpscw7gisbi.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/004_zpsomiqjrq1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Model%20604/004_zpsomiqjrq1.jpg</a>

They look GOOD together!

Thanks. I will be glad when my NDS-XM16E1 lower is available from Nodak Spud. I imagine it will be a few months before I get it. In the meanwhile, I know the upper is already sighted in and ready to go.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Well guys, several days ago, I got a nice slickside carrier for my 604 from HKILLER. He has been a great help for parts for this build.

BTW, the bolt that I have, which is supposedly a GM bolt, works well with the Colt barrel. Not one hiccup when I test fired the upper a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#40]
The beauty of a 604 is that it can be correct with a partial fence or full fence, three prong or A1, and smooth or serrated. There were early and late versions. The Air Force kept them a long time, and  rebuilt them with later parts.

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/604.html

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I got an e-mail from Harlan today. I now have my lower being processed for shipping next week. Maybe, by the end of next week, the 604 will be complete.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I finally got the lower this evening. The 604 is now done. I will add pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#43]
The 604 will be my first retro build. Yours looks great. The upper and lower color match is perfect. Im currently in an A2 build so thats where my attention is. The A1 is just an all around awesome gun but the A2 is a little more shootable. Nice rifle OP, cant wait to see pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I finally got the lower this evening. The 604 is now done. I will add pics tomorrow.
View Quote

Nice! That seemed like a pretty quick turn-around.

Did you ever get a proper charging handle for it or are you still "borrowing" from the XM?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Well guys, here is the finished product. I ended up using the Colt M16 internals (hammer, trigger, disconnect, springs, pins, detents, etc.). I did modify the fire control parts to keep it compliant. The lower was a blem. Harlan said it had some slight spots in the anodizing. I could not find them. I still had to do my magic on the lower to match the upper. It blended pretty well. The 604 upper has its original finish.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Did you ever get a proper charging handle for it or are you still "borrowing" from the XM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I managed to get a NDS charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#47]
The upper and lower blend pretty good, Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice! Tell us more about how you aged the lower?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is an old family secret. Just kidding.

I used a combination of fine grit sandpaper and super fine steel wool, and a little bit of SLIP 2000. I take the finish down to where I want it with the sandpaper being careful to do it lightly and a little bit at a time until I reach the desired effect. I then came back with the steel wool to smooth out the finish and followed that with a thin layer of the SLIP 2000 and wiped off the excess. The SLIP 2000 penetrates the finish enough to give it that slight sheen I wanted.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I used a combination of fine grit sandpaper and super fine steel wool, and a little bit of SLIP 2000. I take the finish down to where I want it with the sandpaper being careful to do it lightly and a little bit at a time until I reach the desired effect. I then came back with the steel wool to smooth out the finish and followed that with a thin layer of the SLIP 2000 and wiped off the excess. The SLIP 2000 penetrates the finish enough to give it that slight sheen I wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!  Yours looks excellent!

I have a bfpu 604 in the works
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top