Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 12:41:14 PM EDT
Every so often one sees a military weapon that has the roll marks (Mfg, ser.#, etc) filled in with white.

Does anyone know who did this, why, and when? Were they issued this way and gradually wore off like the DoD acceptance stamp?

I have read that it was usually done with white China type pencil (wax).

Thanks for any info you all can share with me.

-Mark

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy to read.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Easy to read.
View Quote
......and.....?

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of collectors do it to theirs simply to aid in seeing everything better. I've never seen any factory guns with white fill in the engravings. I'm guessing anything you have seen, someone did it besides a factory.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Was this anything that might be done during an Ordnance rebuild?  Military at all?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Soldiers have been known to use chalk before.  Particularly older soldiers.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Many collectors over the years have filled the engravings with chalk, or a "fill" stick, grease pencil, just to see the markings.  It's easy and lasts for several years and is pretty easy to remove.  It's pressed or rubbed into the markings and the excess removed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was this anything that might be done during an Ordnance rebuild?  Military at all?
View Quote

This was not done at the time of manufacture, acceptance or, to rebuilds and I have pulled plenty of New and rebuilt rifles out of the plastic.

Occasionally I would encounter this while gaging/inspecting rifles in the field (issued to units). Mostly this is done to enable monthly serialized inventories without removing rifles from the old M12 racks.

Wpns Man  

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
No military-issue rifle would leave the factory with white markings.

1) Enhanced visibility is not desirable in a military firearm.

2) Cost of a FTE to sit there and mark them.

The only white markings on an M16 would be the acceptance stamp, which would quickly disappear in the field.

What various units did to make the rifles easier to identify is their own business.

"Ordnance" would not take the time to do something like that unless required, much less make a non-regulation modification to a firearm intended for re-issue.

Not saying it could never happen, but not in the regular course of things, no.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
ones for sale are routinely whitened to better show up in pictures.

i always baby powdered mine so the buyer could see what he was getting.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
In my experience, it makes it easier for AF Combat Arms Instructors (CATM) to read serial numbers without unracking rifles. Especially older guns. Most of the older rollmarks are rather shallow, or light. We use standard blackboard chalk.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Soldiers have been known to use chalk before.  Particularly older soldiers.  
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I just did it again with a captain and another NCO last month and the month before.  Plain old classroom chalk.  Just the serial number.

If you're going to do a 100% serial number inventory and some of the engraving is shallow dot-matrix (older FN M16A2s) or on worn 80s-era guns (Colts) you don't want to screw around pulling them from the racks, calling the numbers (while one guy checks the number off the hand receipt), then have to repeat the number because it's so faint you may have mis-read it.

Especially if you're doing several hundred guns (and you wear reading glasses).

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top