Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2015 12:01:30 AM EDT
Been out of the loop for awhile since buying a house and just life in general.  I was in the process last year of starting an A1 build. Got everything but the barrel. I had been leaning towards the pencil barrel from AR15 sports. Then Brownells came out with thiers but i havent heard any reviews yet. I like the authenticity of the 1x12 twist but also like 1X9 for more ammo options. Does anybody have any input or advice. I heard alot of good things about the AR15 sport barrels. What about Brownells
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered a 1:9 non chrome barrel from ar15sport, Should be here Monday. I've seen some good reviews on them, I'll let you know how mine looks when I get it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going with Green Mountain, JT@RetroArms speaks highly of them
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownell's just got more in-stock today and now have the correct height FSB and slip ring.
AR15Sport is the only 1:9 that I am aware of that has the correct profile.

You can see some of the other 20" options here.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! Thanks! Just made the barrel world more confusing with choices! In all seriousness though that is alot of great info! Guess i got alot of reading and deciding to do. I really like the AR15 sport because its out of the box ready minus the sights and sling swivel. I dont have the means to drill and install a FSB so im looking for already assembled. Id love to be authentic with 1x12 but more ammo options with 1x9....decisions decisions!
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow! Thanks! Just made the barrel world more confusing with choices! In all seriousness though that is alot of great info! Guess i got alot of reading and deciding to do. I really like the AR15 sport because its out of the box ready minus the sights and sling swivel. I dont have the means to drill and install a FSB so im looking for already assembled. Id love to be authentic with 1x12 but more ammo options with 1x9....decisions decisions!
View Quote

Glad I could help!
I'd say the best way to find a barrel would be to go by what matters the most and move down.
Since you are looking at the AR15Sport and Brownell's products, I'm assuming that you are looking for a barrel that looks correct on the outside and that that means correct gas block diameter.
You also mention you don't have the ability to drill the barrel for an FSB. If there is a barrel you really like, don't let that stop you as you can get that done (albeit for an additional charge). If there isn't a must have barrel and you aren't doing an all-Colt build then this probably isn't the most cost effective option for you.

From there you have to look at extension / feed ramps, twist rate, finish, and chrome lining/finish.
In my build, I wound up getting an offer of a Colt barrel assembly, but before that I was looking at many of the options you are doing. going with the above assumption of external appearance, I'd avoid a nitride finish as they are pretty much jet black and will contrast sharply from the other parts (unless you are doing a black rifle instead of a grey).
Chrome lining is up to you, and of the list that are assemblies all are chrome lined except the 1:9 AR15Sport (I'm just not sure if that one).
Extension wise, I've read that it is best to have them matching the receiver, but M4 ramps with a rifle receiver is still functional.

With all that in place, it really does seem to teeter on your choice of twist.
I am fine with 1:12 because I mostly shoot 55gr anyways. If I want/need to shoot heavier/longer stuff, I have another AR with 1:8 and another rifle with a 1:7. Based on the assembly cost, I think you have a pretty simplified list:

-1:12 Twist: Brownell's. (Cheaper than the AR15Sport 1:12 offering and with rifle ramps))
-1:9 Twist: AR15Sport
-1:7 Twist: Look at the one BoyWonder just asked me to add.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Zman! Ill check out the last option as well but i already have an A2 with a 1x7. Im doing a clone not a purest build. If i had the money I'd love nothing more than to go all Colt. It will be on Colt upper that I got from Apex sometime ago.
I was really curious about the Brownells since they were new to the market and nice to know they didn t have the correct base before but now do. One last question. What is the difference between an A1 and A2 port door? Thanks again for all the help. This is actually for the wife. She wanted an A1 like she carried in the Army. Last year for Christmas she got all the other correct parts. I guess she is a keeper!
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks Zman! Ill check out the last option as well but i already have an A2 with a 1x7. Im doing a clone not a purest build. If i had the money I'd love nothing more than to go all Colt. It will be on Colt upper that I got from Apex sometime ago.
I was really curious about the Brownells since they were new to the market and nice to know they didn t have the correct base before but now do. One last question. What is the difference between an A1 and A2 port door? Thanks again for all the help. This is actually for the wife. She wanted an A1 like she carried in the Army. Last year for Christmas she got all the other correct parts. I guess she is a keeper!
View Quote

The a1 port door has a smaller rectangular pad and the a2 has a raised square pad.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I got my barrel from Brownells years ago. Nice tube. The rifle is nasty accurate.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mine started as a find at a gunshow. I didn't plan to go all colt, but I wanted the correct FSB and twist. With Brownell's not being spot on at the time, the main thought was a GMRB and have work done to it. Then I was offered a Colt barrel assembly and it was actually cheaper for me to go that way. That is when things became all Colt!

Quoted:This is actually for the wife. She wanted an A1 like she carried in the Army. Last year for Christmas she got all the other correct parts. I guess she is a keeper!

I would say so!

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if you are still looking at this point, but I received my barrel from ar15sport. Everything looks to be great. the barrel has no engravings, but the extension is marked SR, and the fsb is marked <B> 2, I have no idea what those mean, but that's all I could find. The bore looks great, nice and shiny, not chrome lined. The finish on the barrel has "sparkle" when lights hit it, like you would see with glitter I guess. I'm not sure if that's the correct finnish , but the color seems to watch my upper, and flash hider pretty well.

The directions are very specific about breaking in the barrel. They say "for best accuracy the chamber and bore should be cleaned every round for the first 25 rounds. Then repeat every ten rounds, up to 100. It normally takes 200 rounds to reach optimum accuracy"

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a A1 pencil barrel in 1/7 twist so I can use 55 to 77 grain bullets.  I got it from Boywonder777 (see my post).  He had John Thomas  take a new CMMG 20" 1/7 twist pencil barrel, and put an M16A1 FSB and M16A1 flat slip ring on it.  Visually, it is identical to original, including the grey parkerizing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah Im still trying to decide. I like the fact the Brownells barrel has th rifle feed ramps even though I know M4 ramps work with rifle recievers. But then there is the AR15 sport 1x9 with the M4 ramps. I like the 1x9 for ammo purposes and i know chrome lining really isnt a huge deal. Its not full auto nor do i plan to blast a gazillion rounds through it. My A2 is chromoly and very accurate. I just wish i could get some reviews on the Brownells barrel. Decisions decisions! But then again all my ARs are 1x9 so why should i change......
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Brownels just posted they expect 12.7"  carbine length barrels, 1/12 twist and rifle feed ramps should be available in January-February. I'm buying 3!!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah Im still trying to decide. I like the fact the Brownells barrel has th rifle feed ramps even though I know M4 ramps work with rifle recievers. But then there is the AR15 sport 1x9 with the M4 ramps. I like the 1x9 for ammo purposes and i know chrome lining really isnt a huge deal. Its not full auto nor do i plan to blast a gazillion rounds through it. My A2 is chromoly and very accurate. I just wish i could get some reviews on the Brownells barrel. Decisions decisions! But then again all my ARs are 1x9 so why should i change......
View Quote

Review of Brownells1:12 retro barrel here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/684479_Brownell_s_1_12_retro_barrel_shooting.html
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:34:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The Brownells barrels never seem to be in Stock I've been piecing together a XM16E1 build and I think ill end up having to use the AR15sport barrel for my build.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I have several of the 1/12 barrels from years ago, but when I buy now I try to get the 1/9 or the 1/8.
It is best for the ammo I have most of.

If I find some 1/7 on sale I will buy a few of them. ( I have ammo for it also)

It is good to ask questions, but............
There are pro's and con's on most everything with the AR's.
Just go with what you like best and can afford.

Good luck with your build and enjoy it.

Ron
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I ordered my barrel from AR15 Sport. I went with the 1x9. My decision was made when i saw they had them in stock and Brownells never seems to have any. I need it by Christmas. I went with 1x9 so I can shoot 62 gr if I ever need to or run out of 55's. The Mrs's should be happy that she will now have all of the parts for her A1.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top