Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2015 10:58:28 PM EDT
Hey guys, i'm new all around. Both to this forum, and to ar15's in general. So I'm sure I'll need some guidance from you guys familiar in this field.  As far as my rifle goes I'm trying to do a budget build, but maintain the overall "look" of an A1 rifle. Recommended here by jrj93accorrd (think that's right) awesome dude.

So far Im getting:
-20" 1:9 pencil barrel
-an original m16a1 furniture set
-old 20rd magazine
-works of getting an A2 upper. But I'm trying to hunt a decent priced A1 upper
- for lowers I'm thinking SAA. But also considering PSA or I guess even Anderson? Probably one already put together
-and a FA, PSA bolt carrier group..

Hopefully this kind of build isn't blasphemous to you guys, I've wanted an a1 for years and absolutely love the look of them - just can't say the same about other ar15/m16 styles.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Indiana Army Surplus and ask for Slim.  He'll help you with parts needed
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Also check the EE for an a1 upper. They come up for sale quite often for decent prices.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an Anderson A2.  Great lower.  I am using it on my "on the cheap" 603 build.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:56:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to try Indiana army surplus this Tuesday for sure, I was told about them . also just posted in the EE
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm going to try Indiana army surplus this Tuesday for sure, I was told about them . also just posted in the EE
View Quote

That's the way to go.

Don't be tempted to settle for less
than what you want, even if it means waiting for it.

You may be forced to
'temporarily' use an A2 lower, but there's no reason to go with anything less
than an A1 upper.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Just purchased an A1 upper with all the hardware from Indiana army surplus. I thought this was going to be a slow piece By piece build set over time. But I'm way too impatient and exited. I should have everything built pretty quick. Chose to use an Anderson lower from a local shop in order to cut some cost - ffl transfer fee quickly brings up the cost on others.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Hahaha!  I feel your angst! I started my "one piece at a time" 603 build 5 days ago (Nov 5th), just getting the barrel from Boywonder777.  As of the 9th (4 days later), I had located and ordered the rest, tapping into my credit cards (a no-no for me generally).  So within 4 days of starting my "one piece at a time" build that was going to take a couple months, I had everything on the way!  Patience is NOT my strong suit when it comes to ARs or M1 Carbines...
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hahaha!  I feel your angst! I started my "one piece at a time" 603 build 5 days ago (Nov 5th), just getting the barrel from Boywonder777.  As of the 9th (4 days later), I had located and ordered the rest, tapping into my credit cards (a no-no for me generally).  So within 4 days of starting my "one piece at a time" build that was going to take a couple months, I had everything on the way!  Patience is NOT my strong suit when it comes to ARs or M1 Carbines...
View Quote

I know exactly what you mean all too well. I recently won a new 18" barrel combo from LaRue Tactical which now means that I have to build another modern AR. This will be done piece by piece once I figure out which direction I am going with it. One of these days, I will get around to building a 604. That is next on the retro list.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one! As of today I have (I think) everything needed to put this thing together except a lower receiver, and lpk. Hopefully some packages come in soon!

I decided to go with a three prong flash hider, has there been any problems using a screwdriver with electrical tape to put those on?

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one! As of today I have (I think) everything needed to put this thing together except a lower receiver, and lpk. Hopefully some packages come in soon!

I decided to go with a three prong flash hider, has there been any problems using a screwdriver with electrical tape to put those on?

View Quote

The only issue with doing it that way is that you can possibly bend the prongs. There is a specific tool for these FHs. I would suggest sticking with an A1 since it would be more correct and it does have the wrench flats on it and is much easier to install. If you want to stay with the 3-prong FH, we can get it on. We just have to be careful. They, like the A1 FH, do not have to be timed like the A2 FH does.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Use a strap wrench to install a three prong or wrap the FH in an old leather belt and use vise grip pliers. I prefer a strap wrench.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a tough time choosing between those two, but decided I liked the look of the three prong better than the birdgage. If needed I could possibly machine flat spots on it, or maybe even make a tool? I just figured a screwdriver would be easier

A strap wrench sounds like it might work pretty well
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a tough time choosing between those two, but decided I liked the look of the three prong better than the birdgage. If needed I could possibly machine flat spots on it, or maybe even make a tool? I just figured a screwdriver would be easier

View Quote

One thing you do not want to do is machine flats onto the 3-prong FH.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:27:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought there might have been a reason why no one has done it. But why?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
So today my first package arrived, the furniture and a magazine from numrich. Over all they are in good shape, no missing teeth or anything. But as you can see from the photo the set doesn't match. Is there a preferred way to clean this up, maybe refinish?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So today my first package arrived, the furniture and a magazine from numrich. Over all they are in good shape, no missing teeth or anything. But as you can see from the photo the set doesn't match. Is there a preferred way to clean this up, maybe refinish?
http://i.imgur.com/d3i0pha.jpg
View Quote

You cold polish them.
Here's a long to an old thread about it
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=496371
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You cold polish them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cold polish them.

I would think that black shoe polish could help restore the finish on the one. I would just make sure that the surface is slick (wet sanding) before rubbing the shoe polish in.

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would think that black shoe polish could help restore the finish on the one. I would just make sure that the surface is slick (wet sanding) before rubbing the shoe polish in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cold polish them.

I have some laying around that I can try out, do you think it would transfer to my skin or cloths once applied?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah it probably would. I'd say try polishing with some jewelers cloth and some light oil. That furniture set looks pretty nice( handguards don't match ) but that's not a huge problom. You could always buy a set of  hand guards that match on the equipment exchange and use that beautiful mottled pistol grip and  stock
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah it probably would. I'd say try polishing with some jewelers cloth and some light oil. That furniture set looks pretty nice( handguards don't match ) but that's not a huge problom. You could always buy a set of  hand guards that match on the equipment exchange and use that beautiful mottled pistol grip and  stock
View Quote

What kind of oil would you suggest, boiled linseed?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can probably use some 3-in-1 oil.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#22]
After a quick wipe with some 3in1 I'm really suprised at just how much color came back. And the magazine I wound up with is marked universal industries Also looks like I got a "fat" GM pistol grip,type D stock, and type E hand guards. Fun to learn about this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After a quick wipe with some 3in1 I'm really suprised at just how much color came back. And the magazine I wound up with is marked universal industries Also looks like I got a "fat" GM pistol grip,type D stock, and type E hand guards. Fun to learn about this stuff.
http://imgur.com/sSvJGte.jpg
View Quote

A definite improvement. Now, to clean up that sling swivel and get rid of that rust. I can help you with that if you like.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Very nice. Sometimes a little oil goes a long way.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Not to hijack, but Indiana has full uppers?  Price range?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

i only orderd the upper reciever, no barrel or BCG. But they might have all of the other stuff. Call slim up and see what he's got

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#27]
A definite improvement. Now, to clean up that sling swivel and get rid of that rust. I can help you with that if you like.
View Quote

Yeah we gotta get together some time, I will likely need help assembling the upper Aswell. Afew more packages and a trip to the gun shop and it will be ready go to to the range.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Ups man came today with my upper (ch marked), bcg, flash hider, and buffer tube with parts. Then I bought a charging handle from a local forum. One step towards completion.

Wonder how it will do against my sks..  

I'm having a really hard time with these hosting sites, in my preview it showed up fine, but then it turns into a link once submitted.

Are you guys seeing the image or just a link?
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Since you are not a Team Member, a member has to Approve your images as appropriate.  That's why they don't show at first.

Good looking start to your build!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Ahh thanks for the clarification!

And I apriciate it, hopefully this one will be enough lol.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#31]
All done! Huge thanks to James, tons of help.

Now I just have to go to the range
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
All done! Huge thanks to James, tons of help.

Now I just have to go to the range
http://i.imgur.com/pxIIGYW.jpg
View Quote

Hey, that is a nice looking AR. Nice background too. I have not used one of those blankets in years. I was really glad to help you out today.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry.

Great looking build! I also love the blanket background.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:04:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice rifle, looks just like my first retro build, except I used a 604 upper.  You need to watch out, though, those things are like crack.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice.   1 down and (?) to go.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nice rifle, looks just like my first retro build, except I used a 604 upper.  You need to watch out, though, those things are like crack.
View Quote

I warned about that yesterday when we were putting it together. I told him that building retros can get expensive. Heck, building ARs can be expensive. I know from experience as many here do as well. We have scheduled Saturday morning to get it to the range.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank guys, Hopefully this one will be the only one I need. But maybe having a slick side using more original stuff would be nice also :b .
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thank guys, Hopefully this one will be the only one I need. But maybe having a slick side using more original stuff would be nice also :b .
View Quote

Wait until the A2 lower starts to bug you!

ANOTHER Florida Boy infected with RBRD!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I told him that he could always swap the A2 lower out with a more correct A1 in the future. He could even use a partial fence for that matter.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I told him that he could always swap the A2 lower out with a more correct A1 in the future. He could even use a partial fence for that matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THEN he'll need a nice A2 upper to go with the lower!

That's how the sickness spreads!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ups man came today with my upper (ch marked), bcg, flash hider, and buffer tube with parts. Then I bought a charging handle from a local forum. One step towards completion.

Wonder how it will do against my sks..  
http://i.imgur.com/LyxB5l5.jpg

I'm having a really hard time with these hosting sites, in my preview it showed up fine, but then it turns into a link once submitted.

Are you guys seeing the image or just a link?
View Quote

Having parts arrive for a new rifle is one of the most wonderful feelings I've ever felt. I LOVE coming home to multiple packages.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top