Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2015 6:11:51 PM EDT
Dad passed nearly 20 years ago (!), and throughout my time with him, his shooting was confined to hunting.   It wasn't until years after he passed that I started to shoot for sport and developed an interest in AR's.  

I was always fascinated by his stories from 20 years in the Army (he retired 6 years before I was born!), but we did not have many photos of him during his service.  Recently, my cousin brought some photos of my dad and uncles in uniform. and lol and behold, there's dad in Vietnam sitting in a Jeep with his rifle.   This was 64/65 time frame (?) based upon what I have pieced together about his career.  

From the photo, I can't tell much about the lower (full/partial fence) because dad's hand is in the way, but the upper does not have the forward assist.  I know this is not very common for Army rifles, but possible.  

I want to build a tribute rifle to remember dad, and since I shoot  at my home range, it's going to be 22LR (to keep the neighbors happy).  As such, I am not overly concerned with historical accuracy but want a similar look and feel to dad's rifle in the photo.  

So, my question would is which flash hider would be most likely?  3 prong or A1?

Thanks in advance!

ETA - photos added below.   The M16  here is from a later tour.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#1]
64/65 would be a 3 prong.  post pics as your build progresses.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
64/65 get a partial fence, 604 upper,  three prong FH

http://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/604.html

I would build a 604 with a 20"  1:12 twist retro barrel from Brownells and use a CMMG drop in .22 conversion kit with Black Dog magazines for the retro look.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/m16-a1-5-56-20-rifle-barrel-prod77794.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=BROWNELLS+MILITARY+BARRELS

https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/22lr-ar-conversion-kit-bravo-no-magazine/

https://www.44mag.com/product/868/22_ar15_magazines

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm    NDS XM16E1 lower   NDS 604 upper

ETA: jrs93accord is correct on it most likely being a 602.

I'd still do a 604 because I don't care for non-captive front pins. Personal opinion, everybody has one, they all stink, ETC.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Since the upper did not have the forward assist, it is possible that it is a 602. The army was issued 602s in early 1963. In this case, he would need a slabside lower along with a 604 type upper and a 3-prong FH. The Army was issued the XM16E1 in 1964. Of course, these had the forward assist, partial fence lowers, and a 3-prong FH. I do not think it was possible for the Army to get issued any 604s since they were designated for the Air Force.

Most likely, it looked like this.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
There is good chance that is a 602 in the photo.   It was his second rifle in-country... the first one broke, so he was issued an "old" one.    

I have a Fulton "slick-side" upper that I got from a buddy that I am planning to use for now.   I would like to get a NDS slab-side lower later, but I am planning to use regular lower for the moment.   I also have a A1 butt stock, but I may call Indiana to see what I can get from Slim.  

A 20-inch 22LR barrel from CMMG will go on it too, but it is government profile.  

All-in-all, I want to build a rifle that is in the spirit of the one he carried.    Similar, but not perfect is ok for me.

I could kick myself for not getting one of the A1 parts sets that dropped a few years ago.

I greatly appreciate y'all's help!!

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is good chance that is a 602 in the photo.   It was his second rifle in-country... the first one broke, so he was issued an "old" one.    

I have a Fulton "slick-side" upper that I got from a buddy that I am planning to use for now.   I would like to get a NDS slab-side lower later, but I am planning to use regular lower for the moment.   I also have a A1 butt stock, but I may call Indiana to see what I can get from Slim.  

A 20-inch 22LR barrel from CMMG will go on it too, but it is government profile.  

All-in-all, I want to build a rifle that is in the spirit of the one he carried.    Similar, but not perfect is ok for me.

I could kick myself for not getting one of the A1 parts sets that dropped a few years ago.

View Quote

Brownells has a reproduction 20" 1/12 barrel that would be perfect for this build.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/m16-a1-5-56-20-rifle-barrel-prod77794.aspx?avs|Cartridge_1=AJJ_223 Remington

Also, contact Slim at Indiana Army Surplus (812-275-2801) about a D stock and some triangular handguards. I am not sure if he has the A1 pistol grips. He may have some other small parts you may need as well. Their prices are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brownells has a reproduction 20" 1/12 barrel that would be perfect for this build.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/m16-a1-5-56-20-rifle-barrel-prod77794.aspx?avs|Cartridge_1=AJJ_223 Remington

The CMMG dedicated 20"  .22 barrel has the appearance of about an 18" barrel because the extra length is inside the receiver, measured from the bolt face to muzzle and all.  CMMG asked for opinions of a lightweight 20" barrel a few years back and I suggested they actually make it longer than 20" to have the same external appearance as a military barrel and more appealing to the retro market, they thought that was a stupid idea.

Most 1:12 barrels will shoot .22 well and also give you the option for 5.56 or .223 later by a simple bolt change.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
44Echo10... I didn't think of the collar extension.  But, it's a little late because my wife just told me she ordered the CMMG one for me today for my birthday for this project.     That's a good/bad problem to have!  At least I have some parts to get me heading in the right direction.

Maybe I can use it for now and build a A2 22LR later!  (Are those retro yet?!)

As an aside, dad started his first tour in Vietnam (he had one in Korea in '51) as part of an advance team for the 101st.   He was in-country with a company for months prior to the rest of the 101st showing up.  As such, they had to beg, borrow, and steal what they needed.  At one point he swapped his M16 with one of his troops because they had been issued a M14 as replacement for a M16 they had dropped and had run-over by a jeep.  Dad said the guy was 5' 4" and a buck twenty.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
44Echo10... I didn't think of the collar extension.  But, it's a little late because my wife just told me she ordered the CMMG one for me today for my birthday for this project.     That's a good/bad problem to have!  At least I have some parts to get me heading in the right direction.

Maybe I can use it for now and build a A2 22LR later!  (Are those retro yet?!)

As an aside, dad started his first tour in Vietnam (he had one in Korea in '51) as part of an advance team for the 101st.   He was in-country with a company for months prior to the rest of the 101st showing up.  As such, they had to beg, borrow, and steal what they needed.  At one point he swapped his M16 with one of his troops because they had been issued a M14 as replacement for a M16 they had dropped and had run-over by a jeep.  Dad said the guy was 5' 4" and a buck twenty.
View Quote

It's all good. Stick around  a while and you'll be as nit picky as some of us....and I'm not really that bad.  We will all do our best to make you a retro nut too. Would love to see some of your Dad's pics sometime if you felt like sharing. Where are you in SC, my paternal grandfather was from Anderson.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Central SC...  Lexington County.   My dad grow up here, went in the Army for 20 years, and came back to never leave again.   He only traveled out of state three times that I can remember - and that was to Augusta, Asheville, and Charlotte.     "I have seen the rest of the whole and ain't interested."

My sis has some pics and my cousin has the other one.   My cousin is having them retouched/repaired by a friend, but he is *very* slow.  When she gets them back, I will see what I can post up.  I have a cousin that was a Vietnam vet as well (he was only a few years younger than my dad).   The photos my sister has a pretty boring - mostly landscape stuff with my dad's head.

My best friend built a "correct" 604 (he is a AGF vet), so I caught the retro bug from him.  The goal is to shoot the heck out of this thing, and maybe even to an Appleseed shoot with it.    

My first toy rifle was a M14, but I will never forget the feel of those triangle hand guard of the green plastic M16 I got next... the ultimate of cool.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Ahh, right next  to that giant lake.  I went to basic at Jackson...just up the road a piece.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep... Lake Murray.  My grandfather owned what would have been lake front property in the edge of the river valley.   Traded it to the another family for farm land a mile way because it was rocky and they were worried about mosquitos.   We could have been millionaires!

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, crap... Something just triggered a memory, and I found a box. (I haven't thought about this in years).  This is dad right before he finished that tour...

Sorry for the quality... it's a small photo.   Clearly, an A1 in this photo.  This needs to be my next build.

Also, thought I would post these up:
30 cal?

BAR
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, crap... Something just triggered a memory, and I found a box. (I haven't thought about this in years).  This is dad right before he finished that tour...

Sorry for the quality... it's a small photo.   Clearly, an A1 in this photo.  This needs to be my next build.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag133/BirddogSC/M16_zps8aiq06jl.jpg  

Also, thought I would post these up:
30 cal?

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag133/BirddogSC/30%20Cal_zpsw1ezafbk.jpg

BAR
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag133/BirddogSC/Bar_zpscz6mf39f.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for posting the pics. Your pops must have spent a hell of a lot of time in Southeast Asia. Judging by the third model jungle uniform and A1 with the birdcage that first pic was taken some time around 1967.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
1 tour in Korea, 2 in Vietnam.   1st tour in Vietnam tour earned a Bronze Star (V) for helping to get his company out of an ambush after the company CC was killed.    His last tour was at MACV and sounded very interesting - working directly for a MG.  

He spent a lot of time in Germany as well...  He was on the inner-German border for the Cuban Crisis.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#15]
UPDATE - Making progress.   Mostly new parts (again tribute rifle, not necessarily retro).   Intent is to look like a 602 upper, but with the standard lower it's more like a 604.    Still need a flat ring.  Grip and butt stock are on the way.   It is a dedicated 22, so the barrel is the wrong profile.  And, I hate 22 brass down my shirt so the dust cover is the 22/9mm version.  Might have to do an A1 like the later photo of dad.

Photo below...

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

UPDATE - Making progress.   Mostly new parts (again tribute rifle, not necessarily retro).   Intent is to look like a 602 upper, but with the standard lower it's more like a 604.    Still need a flat ring.  Grip and butt stock are on the way.   It is a dedicated 22, so the barrel is the wrong profile.  And, I hate 22 brass down my shirt so the dust cover is the 22/9mm version.  Might have to do an A1 like the later photo of dad.

Photo below...

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag133/BirddogSC/IMG_0365_zpsu4futjzy.jpg
View Quote

Is that the new California-legal build?

Looking good!

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top