Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2015 12:00:18 AM EDT
Did DPMS discontinue their C7 style uppers? I can't find one anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:36:37 AM EDT
[#1]
There are some Colt ones on Sturmgewehr.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#2]
If only they weren't $200. That's why I was looking for the new production ones; they used to be inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#4]

I've seen a few listed in the EE recently. I got one about a week ago for $110, missed one the other night for $65 .
I recently got into ARs, figures the parts I like would be getting scarce.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was told by a sales rep that DPMS is dropping all the A1 type sight hardware.

We saw them clearance out the A2 and C7 uppers last year.
View Quote

Thats what I've heard also. I'm glad I snag'd a C7 upper from them last yr when they were $49.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought about ordering one then but figured I'd wait until I actually needed one.

Didn't realize they were discontinuing them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thought about ordering one then but figured I'd wait until I actually needed one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the insidious nature of AR parts. Its an ever changing evolving thing. If its avail now.. at an awesome price..and if theres 'any' reason it might be gone tomorrow(in this case, perceived obsolescence)..its prolly a good idea to snag it (just in case) while you can. The obv problem in that, is a person can "just in case" themselves right into the poor house, in no time.

And if its not the parts..then its also ammo that can be this way.  And so it goes.

I think most of us here already feel, that these will be looked back upon as the "good ol days" of AR (I paid $475 for my SP1way back in 1978) /AR parts concerning both prices and availability. Just 3 yrs ago, prices were 3-4+ times what they are now. And key components just plain ol weren't avail.

I think anything A1-ish will soon be much harder to find. At least outside of specialty shops like Nodak.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't Windham Weaponry carry these?
I seem to recall reading this in the Industry section a while back.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're not carrying anything with a carry handle now...
At least not on their website.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found this in Industry
You might contact them for lead times

[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
So, I would really love to build a simple, lightweight rifle using a C7 style upper receiver. It's basically an A1 upper receiver with fixed carry handle and "Field Sights" with an added brass deflector and forward assist. It would be ideal if it had M4 feed cuts as well.

What do you think about this Erik? After a lot of research the last couple of days, it sure seems like the demand is there and that it would be extremely successful.

We are working on it. Its difficult to get the forgings in smaller quantities to do a test run of these. But we are working on it and at some point in the future we should be able to offer both A1 and A2 upper receivers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Found this in Industry

[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
So, I would really love to build a simple, lightweight rifle using a C7 style upper receiver. It's basically an A1 upper receiver with fixed carry handle and "Field Sights" with an added brass deflector and forward assist. It would be ideal if it had M4 feed cuts as well.

What do you think about this Erik? After a lot of research the last couple of days, it sure seems like the demand is there and that it would be extremely successful.

We are working on it. Its difficult to get the forgings in smaller quantities to do a test run of these. But we are working on it and at some point in the future we should be able to offer both A1 and A2 upper receivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found this in Industry

[Jump To Reply]Quoted:

I would be right there in line. Windham makes good stuff.

Unfortunately, like Sputnik, I decided to wait until I needed one. At least I got one of those $39.99 A2 uppers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you, Wes. Windham has C7 uppers available. You have to call to order though.
ETA don't know about pricing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thank you, Wes. Windham has C7 uppers available. You have to call to order though.
View Quote

Anytime brother.
I might have them build me a C7/M4 hybrid when I get the funds.
Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#14]
As stated before DPMS got rid of all their Retro crap.

That's why you could get the CAR barrels for $125 w/ FSB, barrel nut and FH a while back.

ETA: Don't despair.  I'm sure someone with a little more business sense will pick up the slack soon...
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anytime brother.
Happy shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anytime brother.
Happy shooting.

That's actually what I'm thinking I'll go with. An A1 upper and M4 profile barrel just looks good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#16]
R guns has C7 ones with sights, forward assist, and dust cover for 150.  And AR15 sport has C7 ones for $135 stripped or $155 with rear sight.  Fulton Armory has slickside SP1 style for $150, then of course you have NODAK for everything but C7 ones if your willing to wait.  Or pick one up off the EE, just keep your eye out.  

I just got into building myself and love retros and wondered why they stopped making them.  I think it is bad timing with everyone getting into building retro rifles there sure is a market for it.  But instead of C7 style I think more people should be making regular A1 without the brass deflector.  For a new production Nodak is the only place I know of and they are great I just wish they turned more of them out so you didn't have to wait so long.  I just got a couple of slick side 604 style ones that were made by Fulton off the EE and they seem to be of decent quality.  

A random question for this thread for those that know, what all upper receivers have chrome lining inside of them?  Did they not start lining them until the C7/A2 style or are A1's lined as well?  I couldn't find any answers from searching on this.  All of my uppers but the Fulton 604 styles are lined but I don't have any regular A1s yet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:46:00 AM EDT
[#17]
no uppers are chrome lined (aluminum, hard to do) , some have a spray in dry lube that's silver /grayish.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info, no wonder I could never find anything on it.  The lining in my A2 upper looks enough like chrome I thought it was for sure.  The others I could see being some sort of film lube over a smooth service.  The fulton 604 style I have are just black anodized only inside and looks different.  Not quite as smooth as the others but I am sure once they wear in there won't be any difference.  

When did they start putting in the silver/grey lube coating?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Brownells is making slip rings...

Rear sight parts next?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I think rear sight kits would be a great idea, the only ones I can think of are DPMS made which I read doesn't have some correct parts such as the aperture which  makes me wish there was a better source.  I am not sure if all of the kits out there are made by DPMS as some are not listed, like at Fulton Armory.  I just assumed they were since that is the only producer I could find making them and they are all priced similar in the $15-25 range.  

If I am wrong, does anyone know a source for sight kits other then DPMS?  I need to pick up a couple when I get the funds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
R guns has C7 ones with sights, forward assist, and dust cover for 150.  And AR15 sport has C7 ones for $135 stripped or $155 with rear sight.  Fulton Armory has slickside SP1 style for $150, then of course you have NODAK for everything but C7 ones if your willing to wait.  Or pick one up off the EE, just keep your eye out.  

I just got into building myself and love retros and wondered why they stopped making them.  I think it is bad timing with everyone getting into building retro rifles there sure is a market for it.  But instead of C7 style I think more people should be making regular A1 without the brass deflector.  For a new production Nodak is the only place I know of and they are great I just wish they turned more of them out so you didn't have to wait so long.  I just got a couple of slick side 604 style ones that were made by Fulton off the EE and they seem to be of decent quality.  

A random question for this thread for those that know, what all upper receivers have chrome lining inside of them?  Did they not start lining them until the C7/A2 style or are A1's lined as well?  I couldn't find any answers from searching on this.  All of my uppers but the Fulton 604 styles are lined but I don't have any regular A1s yet.
View Quote

I don't think I want to roll the dice with Rguns and AR15 Sport is out of stock. Thank you for the info, regardless.

Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't think I want to roll the dice with Rguns and AR15 Sport is out of stock. Thank you for the info, regardless.

Edited for clarity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited for clarity.

I'd agree that R Guns as a business sucks, but is there any reason their A1 receivers wouldn't be up to par?  I live about an hour from their storefront, and am considering picking up a couple A1 receivers from them for some fake retro builds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think rear sight kits would be a great idea, the only ones I can think of are DPMS made which I read doesn't have some correct parts such as the aperture which makes me wish there was a better source.  I am not sure if all of the kits out there are made by DPMS as some are not listed, like at Fulton Armory.  I just assumed they were since that is the only producer I could find making them and they are all priced similar in the $15-25 range.  

If I am wrong, does anyone know a source for sight kits other then DPMS?  I need to pick up a couple when I get the funds.
View Quote

I believe you're correct about Fulton Armory and DPMS. I bought a C7 upper and sight kit from Fulton Armory a couple (three, I think) years back and as far as I can tell they were all DPMS parts at that time. The sight apertures were both (incorrectly) on the same plane and the upper had a relatively snug charging handle fit like DPMS C7 uppers are known to have. Of course, some time has passed since then, so take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info, that's what I figured.  I may get a couple DPMS sight kits and try to find the original aperture elsewhere.  Or maybe even just use an A2 aperture on them.  I just don't want to use an aperture that doesn't compensate for anything.  Same plane isn't that bad I suppose, but I believe I read they didn't compensate for left/right movement either since the sight twists for different positions.  

On the uppers I thought the same thing, but then figured they probably couldn't mess up an upper.  If I had the extra cash laying around I wouldn't hesitate to try one but I wouldn't order a bunch of them until I got to look over one first.  I really bet they are fine though, and since everything else is included it doesn't make the price too bad.  Can still pick them up from the EE for cheaper if you keep an eye out though.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top