Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2015 9:03:47 PM EDT
Picked up another retro parts kit off GB. This one whomever installed the barrel managed to bend slightly the upper receiver below the ejection port.

I was thinking of removing the mud flap, bar. Then putting some copper bar stock on the inside and outside of the bent area and squaring it back up with clamps.

If it was bent more than this I would just swap the receiver but it is a COLT receiver so if I can salvage it I would like to do that. Thoughts? Repair or replace?

Repair Pics..

Here is the marred up spot. What should I do to fix it?

Here is the repair after I used the recommended repair tactics..

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
it's almost a epidemic with that problem.

i wonder if it wasn't done on purpose (or at least they didn't give a crap) when they torched the barrels?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Hahaha I didn't realize there was already a long post about that kit out GB. I picked it up this morning. Figure that would be a common screw up by folks installing barrels without proper support inside and outside of the receiver.

If it is not too torqued it will be a good deal. Has an extra stock/handguard set, charging handle...I am planning on removing that receiver and using on another build if I can repair it. Then pick up one of those retro upper and lower receivers from NODAK...

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#5]
You pretty much have gotten the advice when I posted asking about it out of curiosity and ignorance.  I think you found my thread below if not http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/682061_former_M16A1_upper_s_sad_lesson_about_clam_shell_blocks_verses_reaction_rods_transferring_force.html    

I'm pretty sure we used the same  photo.  I just hot/direct linked off the auction, is it ok if I replace the image link with copy of your  url, so it doesn't become lost to webrot, when the auction goes away? That of course means you'll have to keep the image up forever for archive searches and future retro heads seeking advice...... and I'll throw the link to thread in one of my replies so people will hopefully find the advice on how to do the repair and the out come.

the repair job is a lot more simpler and less scary then it appears. I would feel comfortable doing the repair, if you own a pair of calipers you should be good with the advice threads given.   Way easier than deciding clam shell,/reaction rod, or what grease to use on barrel threads

Please post the outcome pictures with the caliper readings. We'll get to see this story through, did the seller tell what they did to bend the receiver? That is the 87 cent  question.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem on the pic I will leave it up and take more pictures. I don't think this seller did that I think he is flipping it from the guy who did. I have one of those clam shell receiver supports and will use it to remove the barrel. Need to pull the barrel to remove the mud flap and rod. Once that is clear I will use calipers and carefully push that part of the receiver back to spec as suggested in the thread you posted. Thanks for putting that up.

My plan is to take the barrel assembly on this kit and put it on one of those Retro Nodak uppers/lowers. Then use this COLT upper for another retro build. To do that Nodak retro build I will need to slide the sight block off and put a round handguard retainer in place of the triangle one. For $400 I think I did ok with this purchase. It is a complete kit less lower parts plus extra stock/handguard set and cocking handle/gas tube.

My wife wont think it was a good deal but I certainly do. Now I will have 3 new blackrifles in my stable...

Once the kit gets here I will take a lot of pics of the bent area. As long as there are no stress fractures should be easy enough to repair. I want to see if I can straight back out the mud flap and bar..should be able to I think.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you, link image replaced  on my previous post, credit given and a link to this thread for follow. You are now obligated to never break the internet by moving or deleting that picture.

Looking forward to seeing the results.  If you video the repair process, you may make  an AR subject matter video not already out there and covered.  No pressure though right?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Kit came today. They definitely did that by trying to install the barrel without proper support on the receiver. They marred up the side of the receiver a little in process. As badly as I wanted to just jump right in and try and correct the bent section I am going to re-read the posts on fixing this type of thing again before I jump back into it. Will post pics as well. It is not bent to far out of spec so it should be easy enough to repair...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Fixed!!!! Took all of 10 minutes with the flat of a chisel with the receiver upside down in a padded vice. Stuck the chisel through the bottom of the receiver with the chisel tip sitting thru the ejection port. I wrapped electrical tape around the chisel to pad it...Then carefully pulled the bend back to spec measuring with calipers and sliding the BCG into the receiver to see fit as I did adjustments. took longer to tape up the chisel than do the repair.

Will post some pics tomorrow. Want to know how I should repair the marred area.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fixed!!!! Took all of 10 minutes with the flat of a chisel with the receiver upside down in a padded vice. Stuck the chisel through the bottom of the receiver with the chisel tip sitting thru the ejection port. I wrapped electrical tape around the chisel to pad it...Then carefully pulled the bend back to spec measuring with calipers and sliding the BCG into the receiver to see fit as I did adjustments. took longer to tape up the chisel than do the repair.

Will post some pics tomorrow. Want to know how I should repair the marred area.
View Quote

I'd knock any high spots down with a swiss file then use some fine emery cloth to smooth. If no access to a swiss file, you may be able to use an emery board like the women folk use on their nails.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top