BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2015 12:29:09 PM EDT
Not mine but thought I'd show for discussion.  Type C
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not extremely well versed on them, but that's not a D stock as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a C to me. Hefty price tag too but, I'm don't really know the market for these very well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
This photos do look like a Type C stock, but these lines in the ad would concern me:
"The condition is good. The stockswill have scratches and wear from use.
What you see in the photo is typical."

It sounds like he has multiple stocks for sale, although he doesn't make that clear, and before I bought one I'd want to see photos of the exact one I was buying.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
So the main difference is the drain hole on the d over the c correct?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Its my understanding, that the Type C is the same as a Type B, just Black
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone out there ever converted a "D" into a "C"?  If I was going to spend the money on a "C", I would want one without a drain hole.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Type d longer? I can't really tell from the pictures
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I think they are the same OAL, the curve behind the pistol grip is slightly different and its thinner around the receiver extension area, the Type D was just beefed up as an improvement
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
From the variation guide posted at the top of the retro forum:

Type C appears to be the same thing as B but now black. This buttstock was used first on the Model 602 in 1963:

Type D is also black, but has a slightly different shape and was first used on the 604/603 in 1964:

Type A, B, and C buttstocks are smaller in diameter then the receiver ring at the back of the lower:
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been wanting an A, but will use a D to convert. Wouldn't dare think of converting a C.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Type C stocks came either with or without a straw hole.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a D while back that actually had a straw piece left in it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#15]
We should really get a "Type C" sticky, since these are common questions and do require a bit of explanation.

The Type C does have a slightly different profile than a D, but to the casual eye it's a subtle difference.  There's a slight "break" to the curve of the throat on a C, while the D has a smoother curve.  (See the pic SP1Colt posted above to compare a C and D side by side).  Once you've seen it and noticed it a few times, it becomes much easier to detect.

More noticeably, the Type C is narrower than later stocks. (For more detailed measurements, see my first post in this thread.)

I also believe most Type Cs had uncoated sling swivels.  I've heard suggestions that some late ones had coated swivels, but the Type C's I've found with coated sling swivels have been of questionable provenance.  I lean towards them having been replaced--but I cannot guarantee that.

The "straw hole" is a common misconception.  Many people think if a stock has a hole, it's a D, but we've seen quite a few C's with straw holes.  I believe they are later than the no-hole stocks and have noted two other things: Type C's with a drain hole are slightly thicker than Type C's without a hole (but still much thinner than the Type D); and the drain holes in Type Cs are not so carefully centered as the holes in Type Ds. (Again, see my link above for examples.)

OK, I've marked up this pic (from the auction in question) to illustrate the major changes.
From this angle, it's often easy to see the "break" in the throat curve.
Note the marked width of the stock (at the neck) is approximate.  They do vary a bit.
And note that the straw hole is off center (typical).

And here's why the width of the stock matters (to those of us who care about details)...
I hope Billat10k doesn't mind my borrowing his pick from his thread, but it shows a Type D stock.  Note that the "rim" of the buffer tube is smaller in diameter than the stock (the stock is wider than the edge of the buffer tube).

In contrast to that Type D thickness, Type A, Type B and Type C stocks were all slightly thinner than the width of the buffer tube (occasionally about the same width as the tube, but not wider).
Here's an "A" to compare:

I hope that helps people see the differences.  It's important to know when a stock is worth the extra money!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Great reply gunner. Learn something every visit on this site!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top