Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2015 4:00:55 PM EDT
Hopefully the pics come across.  I bought this from an estate that claims that it's all-original, and from the shape of it looks like it hasn't been fired much, if at all.
Appears to me to be original but I'm no expert on early Colts - anyone out there that knows enough about what to look for to authenticate an all-original 01?
Thanks - enjoy.
</a>" />

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
From the one picture you posted (of the flash suppressor), I can tell you that a later "improved" three prong is not correct for a 601.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
from the pics provided i would guess most of the lower parts and furniture have been replaced.  

furniture has most likely been replaced.  original would have been green.
the rubber coated sling swivel would indicate it's more than likely a later Type D
pistol grip is later
selector is not original.  original would have been dimpled and not have the notch on the right side
pivot pin is not original
takedown pin looks darker than original and not dimpled
charging handle is the later one and not the triangular
flash hider is the later improved 3 prong and not the original "duckbill"
bolt catch is a later one

what does look original from the pics
many circles mag button
bolt carrier
ejection port cover
sight wheel

what looks more than likely original but need better pics to confirm
magazine
upper receiver

if the barrel is original w/ cast FSB, it shouldn't be too hard to do an original restoration.  you have a lot of the hard to find parts like the lower receiver .
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Should the mag drop push button have the earlier serrations?  Also the selector switch, dimple?  Front take down pin is later also, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should the mag drop push button have the earlier serrations?  Also the selector switch, dimple?  Front take down pin is later also, IIRC.
View Quote

only the really early ones had the mag button w/ horizontal serrations.  most have the many circle variant mag button.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The furniture may have been replaced, or possibly painted since there appears to be green showing through in some spots through the black.
Not sure if that was commonly done back then.  Looks like I might have my work cut out for me trying to locate some original lower receiver parts.
I'm assuming that there's no good source for these - like Sarco, etc.?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The furniture may have been replaced, or possibly painted since there appears to be green showing through in some spots through the black.
Not sure if that was commonly done back then.  Looks like I might have my work cut out for me trying to locate some original lower receiver parts.
I'm assuming that there's no good source for these - like Sarco, etc.?
View Quote

where are you seeing the green under the black?  there were furniture that green under the black but the pistol grip looks like a later mottled grip and the stock looks like a type D w/ some mottling showing.

there is no commercial place to buy 601 parts but some folks here may have spares.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
What are the markings on the barrel?
Although the flash hider is later, the barrel could be correct.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Domestically sold 601's had black paint over the green paint, so it could be a police dept gun.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]
" />
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm assuming that markings are under hand guards?  I'll have to take a looksee..
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#11]

that's just mottling.  the rubber coated sling swivel and the profile where it meets the receiver indicates it's a type D.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm assuming that markings are under hand guards?  I'll have to take a looksee..
View Quote

most markings are btw the front sight base legs and/or near the muzzle.

is the front sight base cast?  easiest way to tell is if it has a raised UP and arrow on top.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]
hmmm  only marking that I can find on barrel is a tiny "s" on the right side under the front sight.  No other markings that I can find.
handguards are black plastic all the way through.  Can't explain the greenish markings but could be lighting, dunno.
takedown pins are of the non-captured variety but don't match the rest of the finish so I agree that they're probably non-original.

" />
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#14]
yep it has a raised "up" and arrow on top of the front sight.  meaning... what?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
yep it has a raised "up" and arrow on top of the front sight.  meaning... what?
View Quote

it means your barrel is original saving your restoration $1400

the most common barrel markings were the M S but given the number of variations we've seen, i would say it's original, especially with the cast FSB

did you get the IM i sent you?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Another question - there's a roll pin on the very rear of the receiver, what is it's purpose?  Is it locking the stock in place?  It's not buggered up at all.
If anyone has or knows of anyone willing to part with original 601 pivot pins, takedown pins, dimpled selector, or charging handle, please send them my way : [email protected].
I'm going to leave the furniture as-is for now since it still looks "retro" to me and it's not like I can go down to Cabela's and order up a set.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another question - there's a roll pin on the very rear of the receiver, what is it's purpose?  Is it locking the stock in place?  It's not buggered up at all.
If anyone has or knows of anyone willing to part with original 601 pivot pins, takedown pins, dimpled selector, or charging handle, please send them my way : [email protected].
I'm going to leave the furniture as-is for now since it still looks "retro" to me and it's not like I can go down to Cabela's and order up a set.
View Quote

the roll pin intersects the threads in the buffer tube essentially pinning it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, that 'plains it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The fact that it has the original barrel is a big win, as is the rear sight. Let's check some other details...
Can you pull a handguard and show us the gas tube?  
And can you pull the BCG?  If you're comfortable disassembling it, we can check the FP and bolt.  Hopefully it still has the machined FP retaining pin.
Does it still have the Edgewater buffer?  If the roll pin is still in the receiver, chances are it's still the original receiver extension.
A pic or two looking down at the hammer and trigger assembly might also help.

It may take you a while to replace all the "incorrect" parts, but it should be a great rifle to restore!  
Congrats on joining the 01 club!

ETA:  By the way, at that SN range, you're looking for a Type B stock.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#20]
The front take down pin is a new one shoved in, not captive!  Need to get a ball and detent one from nodak...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#21]
FYI

There is a Type B stock and 601 charging handle in the EE which would get you jumpstarted on restoring that beauty. (not my listing)

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
hmmm  only marking that I can find on barrel is a tiny "s" on the right side under the front sight.  No other markings that I can find.
handguards are black plastic all the way through.  Can't explain the greenish markings but could be lighting, dunno.
takedown pins are of the non-captured variety but don't match the rest of the finish so I agree that they're probably non-original.

http://<a href=http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w493/dolphinshooter1/IMG_2378_zpsedli2le5.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

I have a barrel I picked up about 20 or so years ago, and it has an "S" on it, and that's about all. It was in a pile that the seller said came out of Israel, which I took with a grain of salt. I'll have to dig it out, and give it another once over.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top