Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2015 6:52:25 AM EDT
My baby was born Wednesday but he is in nICU for now. I've only gotten to hold him for a split second right after birth.

I practically lived in a noisy crowded waiting room for over a month when I was 17 and my dad was in the icu for liver failure, I slept there and visited him every waiting period regardless of the time. I even set my alarm for the early am visits, so I just don't do hospitals so well now.
I had thought that the birthing experience might desensitize me to the deaths in hospital experience since it would be associated with so much joy this time around. However, I have more worries now. We had a soon-to-be mom code-blue and die just down the hall from us, she was about to be released in 2-hours, only there to have the baby monitored for a little while when she died from an unexpected embolism.
I've been on the retro kick here recently and want to keep learning more, I think it will help relax me some.
To start it off I'm thinking of a Vietnam Era display above my T.V. or on my mantel. What would be some cool ways to do this?

I've got a PVS-2, Metascope (still need to buy the IR light), bayonet, Helmet on the way, Colt 603 and 629.

What would be a good bandoleer to have?

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Prayers sent my Retro Brother.

For distraction, seven pocket M193 bandoleer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep us updated.  I hope everything goes well.  

I really need to finish my 605. Too scared to chop a barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations on the birth of your son.
Be strong in the Lord and be of good courage. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

And some humor to brighten your day

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Prayers for the little one, man.

Since you asked, there was a complete bando (with original ammo) in the EE a couple days ago--might still be there. If you want authenticity, it'd be an option.
Hope you'll post pics of the display when you get it done!

ETA: Link to EE post
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Tech-Com, Thoughts and Prayers are with You and Your Family.  Hope all goes well and everyone goes home soon.

PrivateSnafu,  Your Carbine, is it a Mid-Length ?

Also the Pic showing the guy with the belt fed, that Ammo Back-Pack has got to weigh a lot.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Congratulations on the birth of your son.

Be strong in the Lord and be of good courage. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/nosepiece/middycar15/IMG_1808.jpg

View Quote

Hey now I like that, because that's goes a long with my plans for a next build. I've been trying to decide if my 607 would be carbine with more barrel exposed or mid-length with a more accurate moderator to barrel ratio. Or if I thought I'd sbr it and I should go with the carbine.

Do you have a build thread?

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Try here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vietnam+movies
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#8]
My babies off oxygen now. I got to hold him for a minute or two. His blood sugar is normal now and he started pooping. He will go under the lamps for his jaundice.

There were some concerns when he was born about some of his features so they ordered a chromosome test, but now after swelling and other things have gone down and the skull shape has normalized some, the same Dr. says now he really doubts there is anything, but at first he was a little concerned.
God is awesome. We fought years to have a child, and my outlook is that we are going to be taking home a healthy baby boy early next week.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Try here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vietnam+movies
View Quote

Great .

I live in the deep country so we have a download cap. Here at the hospital I can watch this stuff.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Great news, Dad!  Prayers will continue, though, till you're all home together!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Snafu, that is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long, long time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad the little one is doing better, God Bless.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My babies off oxygen now. I got to hold him for a minute or two. His blood sugar is normal now and he started pooping. He will go under the lamps for his jaundice.

There were some concerns when he was born about some of his features so they ordered a chromosome test, but now after swelling and other things have gone down and the skull shape has normalized some, the same Dr. says now he really doubts there is anything, but at first he was a little concerned.

God is awesome. We fought years to have a child, and my outlook is that we are going to be taking home a healthy baby boy early next week.
View Quote

Amen!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats and Best wishes to you and family.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is my little trooper. Everything is improving. He is off oxygen, his blood sugar improved, his respiration rate is normal. He is under the light for his jaundice now and hopefully will start bottle feeding soon.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is my little trooper. Everything is improving. He is off oxygen, his blood sugar improved, his respiration rate is normal. He is under the light for his jaundice now and hopefully will start bottle feeding soon.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81267
View Quote

Glad to see he's doing better.

Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome. A new life! God Bless.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Now he looks like a strong little guy!  Before you know it he'll be more than you can keep up with!  
They grow quicker than you can imagine.
Relish every minute of it, brother. Dadness is the greatest thrill ride on earth!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Prayers inbound - he is looking pretty good though!

As for Retro - I am really wanting a Camillus AF knife for my dads display stuff.  I have the 604 too since he is AF Ret.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Outstanding! When my now 19 year old daughter was in NICU I asked the doctor what the future held...he responded with, "well when she is 16 she will want a convertible"...at that point I was able to relax...just a bit.  Loved the jaundice light!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Welcome a new future Retro member !
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad to hear everything is better.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You now have to build him a Retro-rifle for future use, you know that, don't you?

Wouldn't be too much of a stretch if some of us here ponied up some pieces/parts for the little guy as a group effort.  Pretty sure I have a butt stock and/or maybe a set of hand guards that are excess to my once and future needs, to get the ball rolling.

Pay it forward build party, anyone?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You now have to build him a Retro-rifle for future use, you know that, don't you?

Wouldn't be too much of a stretch if some of us here ponied up some pieces/parts for the little guy as a group effort.  Pretty sure I have a butt stock and/or maybe a set of hand guards that are excess to my once and future needs, to get the ball rolling.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a super generous offer. However, I need to be honest and say I finished his retro rifle on 9/27 and he was born on 9/30.

I have a build thread here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/681736_Critique_my_Colt_629___XM177E2_Rifle_with_4x20_Scope.html

I'll probably start a Colt 607 that could also be carried by one of us.
For when we go Squirrel and Rabbit hunting and use the .22lr conversions

What he would use

What I would use

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#25]
That's me, always behind the cultural curve.

Kid has a super daddy, that's for sure.  Good work, sir.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#26]
We are home with our little angel. I am a very proud papa. We still have a lot of concerns for his well being. The tests came back that he does have Down's Syndrome. So we are praying for his organs and development; I don't want this little guy to suffer a life of issues.

Just to keep this retro related I had 2 helmets waiting for me when we got home.

Which color do you like best for a Vietnam Display? They are nearly identical but the right one is in better shape.

Does this liner seem appropriate for Vietnam? It has a unique ball chinstrap addon I believe called the T1.

Can anyone tell me about this liner? It's of different color and texture.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats to you and the family for getting the little guy home. As always if you need anything from us retro guys let us know.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I am glad to hear the little one is home with his family.

The brown liner is the one you want for a 'Nam display, leave it with the pot shown in the pics with no snap buttons on the chin strap.  You just need a Mitchel pattern camo cover.

I am guessing the suspension in the green liner is probably completely removable, slides onto round tabs riveted inside the liner.  

The snap buttons on the end of the one chin strap are for fastening to an airborne helmet liner. My airborne helmet and ARVN Ranger helmet shown below.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#29]
http://www.mooremilitaria.com/
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Hope your boy does well.  We just had a little boy as well last month.

I have 2 girls here as well, so he has 3 mommies, but only 2 of them get any sleep.

My parents fostered a kid with Downs from our congregation after his parents died.  What a character he was.  Blessings to you and your family.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top