BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2015 3:57:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
This is very cool.  I think I speak for many when I say thanks for doing this and indulging our retro interests.  Look forward to the non F-marked barrels.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You! Great news.

Ron
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Are these marked in any way to differentiate from originals?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to see Brownell's recognizing the need for products for the retro AR builders. With much of the original parts getting more scarce, quality reproduction parts are essential.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Outstanding!  I've been a Brownell's customer for more years than I care to admit (starting long before the web was even a concept) and have never had a bad experience with them. It's great to know they're still responsive to market demands--even for a market segment as small as us retro nuts.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I may have missed it.....But by chance is the finished color an XM Gray or Black?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah,me too XM grey or Black?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Looked at your website. Cannot tell color.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#10]
While it's cool to say retro retro, I don't think that's the right description. How about Colt reproductions? And what effect will the reproduction parts have on the real retro market?? -W
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While it's cool to say retro retro, I don't think that's the right description. How about Colt reproductions? And what effect will the reproduction parts have on the real retro market?? -W
View Quote

I think the bigger concern is telling the difference between authentic parts from reproduction parts. Not being familiar with what to look for could lead to people being taken advantage of.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]
While you're getting special front sight bases, can you maybe get them with the parting line ground off like the originals?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While you're getting special front sight bases, can you maybe get them with the parting line ground off like the originals?
View Quote

And cast ones too?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The new production slip rings are black.
We went with black to coincide with the upcoming release of another product, as we will be using black anodizing on the new item as well.
View Quote

Retro part that's aluminum?

That only leaves the upper, lower, vinyl acetate stock and receiver extension, seeing how receiver extensions are available and the stocks aren't anodized, are we getting receivers?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]
More options are great! Thanks Brownells. Where were you last week when I ordered more parts to finish my retro build, I could have added this to the cart too!

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Brownells is the best!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Excellent !
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To distinguish the slip ring from original parts, we added a small groove to the internal section.  If you see that, it's a new production part.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81259
View Quote

I'm always appreciative when manufacturers help preserve the hobby by marking new items
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm always appreciative when manufacturers help preserve the hobby by marking new items
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To distinguish the slip ring from original parts, we added a small groove to the internal section.  If you see that, it's a new production part.

+1

An improved Brownell's barrel with a non F FSB and black flat slip ring would make a nice start to an M16A1 rebuild clone.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it's an excellent decision to make the parts distinguishable from one another. I hope the advertising for them specifically states reproduction parts and not retro. I'm a Brownells customer, thanks for the parts, catalogs, and good service! -W
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great work, and thanks for listening!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#23]
What is the new item / other product?  (Is it mentioned somewhere else?)

Quoted:
The new production slip rings are black.
We went with black to coincide with the upcoming release of another product, as we will be using black anodizing on the new item as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Dooble
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think the bigger concern is telling the difference between authentic parts from reproduction parts. Not being familiar with what to look for could lead to people being taken advantage of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

N/M  I see they are making a groove so we can tell  Thank you brownells.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks, love your tools and parts.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#28]

I picked one of these up today at the Brownells distribution center.

It's dark gray in color.  Those going for a very light "SP1 gray" will want to refinish it.  For my purposes it's perfect.  It's a very nice reproduction piece.

Here's an iPotato pic, comparing the finish color with the steel feed lips of a Lancer magazine.  I'm on vacation, so this was the first thing I had handy with which to make a comparison.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://s28.postimg.org/fg1z103p9/image.jpg

I picked one of these up today at the Brownells distribution center.

It's dark gray in color.  Those going for a very light "SP1 gray" will want to refinish it.  For my purposes it's perfect.  It's a very nice reproduction piece.

Here's an iPotato pic, comparing the finish color with the steel feed lips of a Lancer magazine.  I'm on vacation, so this was the first thing I had handy with which to make a comparison.
View Quote

I bet it's "thirsty" a few drops of oil rubbed in and it will be nice and black.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top