Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2015 7:45:21 PM EDT
I'm in the process of building a replica of the first M-16 I ever had in the Army and I want to paint 1146 on the buttstock (My rifle number).

Does anyone know what the armorers used to paint the numbers on?  Just regular paint, or something special?

It was hand painted on with a small brush - Not stenciled, so I was thinking of getting some white spray-paint made for plastic and spraying it in a cup, and then painting it on with a brush...

Any better ideas???
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Testers enamel paint.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Paint marker?  That's usually what I've seen them marked with.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ugh, I'm exhausted.

I read the title at "Arms room numbers painted on buttocks"
View Quote

Pretty sure that thread was actually in BOTD
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#6]
It depends. Looks lik older ones used spray paint. Especially in BCT so anything you can't get at the PX. I used paint marker and also a label maker and scotch tape.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The answer as to what was used is always.... The quickest easiest most available thing the GI had access to. As the others have said: Paint, paint pens, labels tape etc. I have even seen nail polish used. That guy got fired though;) I would suggest using what your minds eye remembers. The model paint is a good suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I used paint pens.  Alcohol preps made it easy to clean up/remove numbers when needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I read the same damn thing  

Quoted:
Ugh, I'm exhausted.

I read the title at "Arms room numbers painted on buttocks"
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:47:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Paint marker?  That's usually what I've seen them marked with.
View Quote

This.

If not a paint pen then stencil w/Krylon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#12]
OK - Thanks for the info everyone - One last question - What is a safe chemical to clean the buttstock?

Will Acetone turn it hazy / white?

There is a faint remaining old stencil number and I want that off first...
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OK - Thanks for the info everyone - One last question - What is a safe chemical to clean the buttstock?

Will Acetone turn it hazy / white?

There is a faint remaining old stencil number and I want that off first...
View Quote

Clean it with the hottest water that will come out of the kitchen faucet with some dish detergent (I prefer Dawn), rinse thoroughly, then wipe down the surface with denatured alcohol and a clean paper towel.

ETA: I had a bad experience with acetone near plastics in my younger dumber days.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]

That's what I remember, too. (Mid-80s)
We sprayed them with white or light grey paint, depending on what was closest.
I put a number on one of my clones and purposefully kept the stencil just off the stock to give the number a softer edge (a little overspray). That's how I remember them looking.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]

The best paint remover for plastics is Scalecoat Wash-away. It is made for the model RR hobby and I have used it for 20 years or so.

It will not damage plastic but will remove the paint.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Scalecoat-Model-RR-Paint-Scalecoat-II-Wash-Away-p/wea-10568.htm

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top