Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2015 6:19:46 PM EDT
Started this upper with the 10.5 inch barrel and A1 upper. Would carbine triangle handguards be right or is that only the slick side upper? Also the flat delta ring or later model? Any where to find a repo modulator cheaper than arsports? I have the stock. Might SBR this eventually.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What rollmark is that on your lower?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Local manufacturer that went out of business. Dirty Martin Arms Halstead, Ks.

Post Rock Guns in Jetmore, KS bought out his stock.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
10.5 inch triangles would be correct for early CAR15, known as Model 607.   They had both slick-sides (non-fa) and Forward assist uppers as in 1965...... there was a transition.  So either can, could be correct.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10.5 inch triangles would be correct for early CAR15, known as Model 607.   They had both slick-sides (non-fa) and Forward assist uppers as in 1965...... there was a transition.  So either can, could be correct.
View Quote

Hey thanks! I was born in 65 so that's what I'm shooting for...

Is this non castle nut just weird or was it ever used? Only the one hole.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

10.5 barrels were never used.

10" on 607s and 177E1s, then 11.5 on E2s
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely right.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/jimdgreat1/media/20150904_182624-1_zpsj2ycfcx0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/jimdgreat1/20150904_182624-1_zpsj2ycfcx0.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/jimdgreat1/media/20150904_182624-1_zpsj2ycfcx0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/jimdgreat1/20150904_182624-1_zpsj2ycfcx0.jpg</a>

That's a pre-M4 lock ring AKA castle nut.   Was standard on Colt carbines until the M-4 came out.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont believe that one is colt, the colt ones Ive seen had two holes that go all the way through. I have two just like that one, single hole that doesn't go all the way through.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I dont believe that one is colt, the colt ones Ive seen had two holes that go all the way through. I have two just like that one, single hole that doesn't go all the way through.
View Quote

You are correct, I miss read the question, I thought the OP was asking why it's different from a modern castle ring/nut.  holes vs slots.  That's what happens when I try to read without my spectacles.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't believe that one is colt, the colt ones I've seen had two holes that go all the way through. I have two just like that one, single hole that doesn't go all the way through.
View Quote

Thank you, I learned something new and more history. It always amazes me what you gain in knowledge in comments that get posted and aren't thought of anything special. It's like finding all the bit of wisdom dropped on the shop floor by just working/apprenticing/volunteering beside skilled people.  In different area of subject matter, the same effect happens.  I learned more shuffling speaker cabinets and doing basic maintenance(random tidbit trivial casually mentioned)/storm repairs in a shop with the  gurus then I did in college courses on the subject with professionals where I had a 4.0 average. You tend to learn more information than you do in a class. With it usually being information that classes will miss or fail to cover. So while you may not see multiple thanks, know there are people(some ashamed to admit their ignorance ...) who you are helping.

Just like it was for the eventually locked "retro deals" thread that was locked since we can't have nice things. Without it, I most likely would have never learned about the  XM231. The facts of it didn't have a rear sight assembly and would have wondered what that odd threaded  hand guard was for. Simple conversation and listing of the sales were filled with educational opportunities. However the amount of knowledge just dropped on the floor from simple discussion was amazing. Add in suddenly knowing a new name with terms/designs to research and the world opens up. So I was sad to see that thread ended, because while it had good deals that were educational to the newer beginners on what things cost compared to full/upper retail websites, the amount of educational value was very high. Now I have a new retro rifle I want, the Bradley for the full accessory collection would be nice, but the rifle will have to do.

I've always loved how this board is more education driven with less smart ass answers than the general tech discussion. Something about the retro-crowds that all have some level of being teachers in their base make up. They're more interested in helping than showing they're out of work comedians.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You are correct, I miss read the question, I thought the OP was asking why it's different from a modern castle ring/nut.  holes vs slots.  That's what happens when I try to read without my spectacles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was. Thanks!

I guessed it was just a cheaper way to make them.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top