Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 8:30:40 PM EDT
Barrel Assembly

I'm using an original, early Colt forged sight base (no drain hole), A  NOS triangle hand guard cap from Lionel (boywonder), and a Green Mountain 20" pencil barrel 1-12" twist.

Starting with the barrel, I was able to change the black Parkerizing to a grey, closely matching the early Colt sight base.
I done this by soaking the barrel in a metal prep solution that I had on hand, consisting of Phosphoric Acid / Zinc Phosphate. The solution was pretty strong, and I almost had the grey too light.

Drilling and reaming for taper pins.

Here is the end result.

Here is the barrel temporarily mounted the Colt XM16E1 upper.

The bird cage is there for the picture, I have an original GI three prong flash hider coming in the mail.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks excellent. Did you make that barrel fixture/jig for aligning the FSB?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,
Yes, I made the fixture up this spring.  I have done three barrels on it so far.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:56:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks,
Yes, I made the fixture up this spring.  I have done three barrels on it so far.
View Quote

The man made his own jig to mount FSB's.  The talent of the members in this forum never ceases to amaze me.  Can't wait to see the final result of this build.  But if it's anything like the vehicles you've restored, I know it's going to be nothing short of spectacular.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking XM16E1 upper. Must be nice to have your own machine shop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the back drops as much as the rifles! There is always so much to look at in your pics. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice progress! It should be a great shooter. What are you planning to use BCG wise?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Would it possible for you to do a sticky post on your FSB jig?  I really like the versatility it has for various barrel lengths.
Thank you for your inspiring work.
I would love to have an entire online section on machine work.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice fixture.  Does it allow you to index the FSB and front sight post to TDC?  I see a hole in the rear piece above the barrel extension slot.

Your Jeep is very clean.  Looks to be maintained by someone with OCD for detail and cleanliness.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Would it possible for you to do a sticky post on your FSB jig?  I really like the versatility it has for various barrel lengths.

Thank you for your inspiring work.

I would love to have an entire online section on machine work.
View Quote
Hey now there an idea. That would be pretty sweet to have a one stop shop thread for the do it yourselfers. I 2nd it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice progress! It should be a great shooter. What are you planning to use BCG wise?
View Quote

Thanks

I bought a chrome Colt XM16E1 Bolt Carrier Group off of Gunbroker last winter.

Please feel free to give any thoughts and advice about anything on this clone project.
I'm striving for historical accuracy, with the exception of a 80% Lower and a good shooting, modern barrel.

Here is another photo with a more distracting background.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice fixture.  Does it allow you to index the FSB and front sight post to TDC?  I see a hole in the rear piece above the barrel extension slot.

Your Jeep is very clean.  Looks to be maintained by someone with OCD for detail and cleanliness.
View Quote

Yea, I'm kind of OCD when it comes to my hobbies
I can provide some pictures of the jig/ fixture, but I copied a lot of the design from someone else off of the internet.
Even better, do a "step by step" photo "how to".
It does index from the pin on the barrel to get the FSB at TDC. One could shim the fixture, to cant the FSB if wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It does index from the pin on the barrel to get the FSB at TDC. One could shim the fixture, to cant the FSB if wanted to.
View Quote

It appears your fixture uses the front site post
hole to locate the front end of the barrel assembly .... is this correct?

Also, what type of clamping
mechanism (if any) does the fixture use, to secure the barrel extension?

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It appears your fixture uses the front site posthole to locate the front end of the barrel assembly .... is this correct?

Also, what type of clampingmechanism (if any) does the fixture use, to secure the barrel extension?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears your fixture uses the front site posthole to locate the front end of the barrel assembly .... is this correct?

Also, what type of clampingmechanism (if any) does the fixture use, to secure the barrel extension?

Yes, on both questions.
I will take a few pictures, and post.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I need one of those BCGs.

Excellent build and jeep.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Awesome work, I want to win the lottery so I can have my own machine shop.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Well my original USGI three prong flash hider has been lost in the mail
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/504497000/504497428/pix864100984.jpg

Not sure what is going on down there in the great state of Texas. But, I have had three SNAFUs this year by the USPS, all were packages mailed from Texas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Delete
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well my original USGI three prong flash hider has been lost in the mail
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/504497000/504497428/pix864100984.jpg

Not sure what is going on down there in the great state of Texas. But, I have had three SNAFUs this year by the USPS, all were packages mailed from Texas.
View Quote

Unless you just have to have an original, DPMS makes an excellent reproduction three-prong suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Dan I got a reproduction milled firing pin retaining pin if you can use it ill mail it to you. I see you have a standard cotter pin type with your carrier. I had your address and I mailed it in a standard envelope. Let me know when you get it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dan I got a reproduction milled firing pin retaining pin if you can use it ill mail it to you. I see you have a standard cotter pin type with your carrier. I had your address and I mailed it in a standard envelope. Let me know when you get it.
View Quote

Nice of you!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, thanks
I will be looking for it, and let you know.
Dan
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

William,
The repro milled firing pin retainer came safely in the mail today.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top