Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2015 9:10:33 PM EDT
As the story goes with these....They are "Air force prototypes" and I call BS on this unless someone says otherwise with a verifiable story. One has slight more angle to the bottom than the other

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I have read, the circle 1 mags are early SP1 commercial mags.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]

circle 1 mags were used with the experimental mag coupler^^^

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh, no.

As 44echo said, they were originally intended to be used with the coupler, but .mil wasnt interested in the device, but Colt already had a bunch of mags made with the circle 1 stamp on the side. It was approved they could be sold to the military even with the stamp.

They're less common than other 223 marked Colt mags, but I dont know that I would call them exceptionally rare.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
so.....these were prior to the 30 round mag being introduced formally than?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

To expand on the other post, no but sort of. My 1964 early four digit SP1 did happen to come with a circle 1 mag but not what they were made for.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/44Echo10/media/Gun%20Stuff/AR/AR%20Magazines/pix173746047_zps9f04ba8f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/44Echo10/Gun%20Stuff/AR/AR%20Magazines/pix173746047_zps9f04ba8f.jpg</a>

View Quote

In the "Black Rifle Book", yes, circle 1 mags are shown with the piggyback couplers, however, I have never seen any info or evidence found so far that says the circle 1 mags were designed or marked specifically for the piggyback system. My piggy set does not have circle 1 mags, and Tgus has a couple/few both with circle 1s and without.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#7]
TheStinger,the mag on the left in your pic,the floorplate looks distorted. Did you notice any markings on it? It's an oddball I've not seen before.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In the "Black Rifle Book", yes, circle 1 mags are shown with the piggyback couplers, however, I have never seen any info or evidence found so far that says the circle 1 mags were designed or marked specifically for the piggyback system. My piggy set does not have circle 1 mags, and Tgus has a couple/few both with circle 1s and without.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/44Echo10/media/Gun%20Stuff/AR/AR%20Magazines/pix173746047_zps9f04ba8f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/44Echo10/Gun%20Stuff/AR/AR%20Magazines/pix173746047_zps9f04ba8f.jpg</a>

Any future posts will be amended to read:

Internet lore has it, circle 1 mags were used with the experimental mag coupler    

I've seen a whole lot of over priced used and abused circle ones floating around in gunshow mag bins, but never any couplers.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've seen a whole lot of over priced used and abused circle ones floating around in gunshow mag bins, but never any couplers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO Echo... I just know I will not EVER pay a premium for mags with the circle 1. There are plenty out there and can be found in "dollar" boxes under dealers tables at shows. The piggy couplers, well, those are another story. Think I've only seen 2 sets sell in all the time I've been a member, not including the set I have.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LMAO Echo... I just know I will not EVER pay a premium for mags with the circle 1. There are plenty out there and can be found in "dollar" boxes under dealers tables at shows. The piggy couplers, well, those are another story. Think I've only seen 2 sets sell in all the time I've been a member, not including the set I have.
View Quote

Are the mag couplers impossible to uninstall? Is that how you know your coupler was originally installed with non circle1 mags?

One reason I always thought the couplers were for the circle1 mags was the "1" is upside down on some indicating those would be the bottoms.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are the mag couplers impossible to uninstall? Is that how you know your coupler was originally installed with non circle1 mags?

One reason I always thought the couplers were for the circle1 mags was the "1" is upside down on some indicating those would be the bottoms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are no harder to remove then standard floor plates. And is the reason I mentioned that Tgus has a couple/few himself, with and without circle 1 mags.There is no way to know 100% if his or mine are in "original configuration". With the very limited printed info regarding the piggy system, I have never come across a point blank statement saying " mags used with the couplers will be marked with a 1 inside a circle".
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I swear I've seen a source stating circle1s were for the piggybacks but maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#13]
If the mags have no discernible differences from any other 20-rounder, it's hard to see why they would require special markings.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top