Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 9:49:22 PM EDT
I was reparking a few Olympic cast fsbs for repro 01 barrels, anyone else tried reparking cast parts? They came out looking funny.

The one right hasnt been done yet. I did a batch about 2years ago and they came out way better.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was reparking a few Olympic cast fsbs for repro 01 barrels, anyone else tried reparking cast parts? They came out looking funny.
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/20150829_202411_zps1daa2qp3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/20150829_202411_zps1daa2qp3.jpg</a>

The one right hasnt been done yet. I did a batch about 2years ago and they came out way better.
View Quote

What solution, what temperature, what did you use to de-grease? Facts man, facts is what we need in order to help ya man
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, I never had that problem. I wonder what goes?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like your solution was too hot, or it's time for some new chemicals.

No sling swivel ears?

John Thomas
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Right what he said...also is your mix right? Ive had no issues doing them however some come out lighter or darker dependent on the amount of alloy in the metal. I have one that I cant get to go gray to save its life...always turn out a dark black no mater if I use Zink or not manganese

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What solution, what temperature, what did you use to de-grease? Facts man, facts is what we need in order to help ya man
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/20150829_202411_zps1daa2qp3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/20150829_202411_zps1daa2qp3.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/parkerizing/benchtop-parkerizing-kit-prod22737.aspx

Used this kit solution is old, parts were blasted, not degrased and temp was 195 i think.other parts came out great tho.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you shake up the soultion to remix the crystals that form after sitting a while? Just a thought...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#7]

What kind of container do you all use to perform your parkerizing?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd strip the sight bases down (bead blast them), then try parkerizing again at 175 degrees F.  If you do that, please let us know how it goes.  

If the cooler temp doesn't help, your solution may just be too old.  It's not uncommon (even with new solution) to get some color variation among different parts.  Once the solution is old, this color difference among parts is compounded.  So, I'm not overly surprised to see your barrels look good and the base not take the chemical properly.  

Also, move the sight bases around in the solution every 30 seconds or so, just turn them and shake them around to prevent that flock from settling and sitting on one place for very long.  This can help prevent blotches.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stainless steel container.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Some Parts just don't cooperate Castings, MIM, and case hardened parts can difficult at time especially if they are not fresh new parts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some Parts just don't cooperate Castings, MIM, and case hardened parts can difficult at time especially if they are not fresh new parts.
View Quote

.........along with heat treated parts.  Take almost any tool steel and heat treat it to the 50's or higher and they resist parkerizing. I would think the problem with cast parts is the potential for impurities to "bleed"  out of the porous casting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I will have to try lower temp, the first batch we did came out good.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I should've been more specific, I was really wondering what stainless steel containers people were finding to use.

I am currently fabricating two 48 L x 5"H x 4"W stainless troughs for this purpose, sized to be able to handle barreled actions, and one trough made out of 3.5" dia. x 39" long stainless round tubing with a 2" wide slot cut out to form the opening, this one sized for barrels only.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I will have to try lower temp, the first batch we did came out good.
View Quote

All the parkerizing I have ever done was at 165 degrees. Never failed to produce good finish if properly prepped.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I guess I should've been more specific, I was really wondering what stainless steel containers people were finding to use.

I am currently fabricating two 48 L x 5"H x 4"W stainless troughs for this purpose, sized to be able to handle barreled actions, and one trough made out of 3.5" dia. x 39" long stainless round tubing with a 2" wide slot cut out to form the opening, this one sized for barrels only.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a thread on propane pipe burners for parkerizing I added what I had made for a friend. Maybe it can give you a hand.
Link
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#16]
what are you guys using to heat the chemicals? same as like whats posted above? or a electric heater.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
what are you guys using to heat the chemicals? same as like whats posted above? or a electric heater.
View Quote

I use an old Coleman stove....using reg. gasoline for fuel.  Gets hot real fast, better than my gas grill that I used to use. Gas grill is hooked to natural gas, which doesn't get as hat as propane.........so it took about a half hour to get up to temp.  Coleman stove gets a tank to temp in about 15 minutes or less.
  I've read, I believe in Brownells instructions, to use an aluminum plate between the flame and your tank........to get more even heat withing the tank.  I have a 1" thick plate to use but it makes the heating time much slower. Haven't really noticed any problems with no plate in use, but I haven't done anything longer than a 10" barrel........thinking that if you did something the full length of your tank that even heat might be more of a concern.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top