Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2015 6:18:02 PM EDT
Happy birthday to me, my barrel showed up today. A few more details and the 652 will be completed. Anyone here ever find out what is on the lower of a 652 or 3? If I cant find anything (and I have not thus far) its going to remain on the modern lower (for those that are A.R. about things and wondering)

BTW with a 14.5" barrel it comes out to be exactly 16" from the bolt face to the A1 housing with a standard old style lock washer, 16-1/8" with a thick one. its going to be pinned so I don't have to give the government any more money to have my freedom on a technicality (rolling eyes)

next to my XM16E2 SBR

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
VERY NICE. CONGRATS
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a period correct selector and trigger gaurd...other than that, she is a beauty!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Auto selectors are in route with correct lever, trigger guard, mag release and charging handle need coated to match the body for sure. Think i'll re parkerise the pins when I swap the selector out, did this to the other hardware, should have with the firing/trigger lins too . Shinny black is not a good thing. Details details minor however
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Check retroblackrifle dot com - shows full fence A1 lower and thats what I built.  I wouldn't be surprised to see one your way though.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
....I cant find anything (and I have not thus far) its going to remain on the modern lower (for those that are A.R. about things and wondering)
View Quote

That was my meaning about the A! lower, question still being that if I can't find what it is supposed to be marked with, there's no need for me to go through the cost of doing an A1 lower.

Nice build though, love the look of these and the light weight doesn't hurt either!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like both carbines displayed here, just built one similar. they really shoot nice with the rifle stock and buffer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Nicely done Stinger. I built a 653 with 2 position stock. Decked it out with IDF sling plus hand guard and stock bands. Also pinned and welded FH @ 14.7". This is my current traveling truck gun. In the near future I'd like to have a 652 like yours. You did well Sir! Thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Nevermind, I forget - the correct washer is a split/lock washer for these rifles.  All are very nice, congrats!

ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought a custom 14.7 inch barrel is required in order to get 16 inches with a permanently attached A1 or A2 flash hider...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought a custom 14.7 inch barrel is required in order to get 16 inches with a permanently attached A1 or A2 flash hider...
View Quote

Yea - I have a few 14.5's and I have never been able to stretch them to honest 16 inches using just split washers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I use my cleaning rod, and measure out with no less than THREE separate measurement tapes to make sure its 16! Not all measurement tools read the same!  Once marked I place the rod down the barrel until it hits the bolt face (same way the ATF does it) Then use a knife edge laying across the end of the flash hider to intersect the rod, this is where they will measure to and from should a question come up.  Mine with a Double star 14.5 pencil barrel and a thick split washer came out to be 16-1/8 pined and welded it. DONE!

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Questioning things, I just again checked them, The barrel IS 14.7" not 14.5 on center and that is allowing for making the difference up. Makes sense now...
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top