Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
OK a few questions:

Which is more correct for the 607:

Drain or No Drain hand guards

Metal or Rubber coated swivels

Rivet or Roll pin for front swivel.

I think I already know, but would like affirmation.

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK a few questions:

Which is more correct for the 607:

Drain or No Drain hand guards

Metal or Rubber coated swivels

Rivet or Roll pin for front swivel.

I think I already know, but would like affirmation.

Thanks  
View Quote

I believe, per 101ABN327's museum photos, that you want no drain holes, metal, and roll pin.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Took a brief look through the Black Rifle.  Photos aren't close enough to tell for sure, but it looks like a roll pin rather than a rivet (which is what I would expect).

Can't see the sling swivel, but I'd also guess those were uncoated.  

No idea on the drain hole.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]

I believe, per 101ABN327's museum photos, that you want no drain holes, metal, and roll pin.
View Quote
Yes exactly my thoughts.

Now my next question is........do I cut down a nice pair of No Drains?

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes exactly my thoughts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes exactly my thoughts.

Man I sure wouldn't.

I look at my 607 project like this...the stock is a reproduction, the barrel assembly is a reproduction, the lower is a reproduction....I'm ok with using pretty much all repro parts on the 607 project.

No drains are not easy to find and can be pricy depending on condition when you do find them. It's your stuff but I really discourage it. Save your no drains for the early retro project you want to do 100% correct.

That's my thoughts anyways. I consider myself luck to even have a few sets of no drains on my early clones.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Good point, the stock is a repro so why go for real hand guards.  Thanks, that made up my mind.

Off to the band saw!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Man I sure wouldn't.

I look at my 607 project like this...the stock is a reproduction, the barrel assembly is a reproduction, the lower is a reproduction....I'm ok with using pretty much all repro parts on the 607 project.

No drains are not easy to find and can be pricy depending on condition when you do find them. It's your stuff but I really discourage it. Save your no drains for the early retro project you want to do 100% correct.

That's my thoughts anyways. I consider myself luck to even have a few sets of no drains on my early clones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes exactly my thoughts.

Man I sure wouldn't.

Kalahnkid, your thoughts are mine as well, evidenced by the fact that I did not cut a set of my "no drain hole" handguards for my 607 build.  I wanted to make mine as close as possible to the pictures that 101ABN327 posted of the museum piece that he dissected. I just couldn't bring myself to cut a set of no drain holes. (I have two very nice sets)    I answered as to what is known to be original.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Kalahnkid, your thoughts are mine as well, evidenced by the fact that I did not cut a set of my "no drain hole" handguards for my 607 build.  I wanted to make mine as close as possible to the pictures that 101ABN327 posted of the museum piece that he dissected. I just couldn't bring myself to cut a set of no drain holes. (I have two very nice sets)    I answered as to what is known to be original.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes exactly my thoughts.

Man I sure wouldn't.

Ya the 607 clones are the hardest because of the issues you state above KKid. I wouldn't do it for a regular build, but if I had some no drains with broken teeth in the front I would probably cut them  for a proto build.

I don't know production numbers on them, but it seems you could find almost any combination of parts on them from the photos Ive seen. Stoner could tell you better though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
When did the Drains start being used?  I just figured they weren't around when the 607 was being built.

BTW- My 607 is done, just havent got the paperwork back yet so my FFL dealer has the upper until then.  I figure about 3-4 weeks yet.

EDIT-UPDATE--- I've been informed that the paperwork is up to 5 months now, so I figure I have about 4-6 weeks to go as of 1 May

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
a wtb ad for damaged drainholes might turn up some good candidates without having to destroy any minty ones.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When did the No Drains start being used?  I just figured they weren't around when the 607 was being built.

BTW- My 607 is done, just havent got the paperwork back yet so my FFL dealer has the upper until then.  I figure about 3-4 weeks yet.
View Quote

Are you thinking the no drain hole handguards were already out of production by the time 607's were being built?   I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in, (Lionel?)......but I believe no drain holes were used on 602's, which predate 607's.  As I mentioned in the post a few up, 101ABN327 posted a couple dozen photos of a 607 that he gained access to in a military museum. (somewhere in OK if I'm not mistaking)   He removed one handguard and took photos of it. It was a no drain hole.
I'll see if I can find a link to his post where posted all the photos, for you newer guys that may not have ever seen them.

Here's almost everything you'd ever want to know about 607 details.  Probably the single biggest discovery since 101 posted these pics, in my opinion, would be PvtSnafu's demilled 607 lower half reveal that the stock rod is threaded in the lower.
EDIT.   http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/414249_.html
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Im thinking drain holes werent yet being used when 607s were built.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im thinking drain holes werent yet being used when 607s were built.
View Quote

I think the 607's came along about the tail end of 602 production, and all kinds of "old" parts were used  on 607's
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Agreed
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top