Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:15:52 AM EDT
Newbie question.
I finally found an early Colt upper to use with my Colt XM16E1 Chrome BCG.
The upper is obviously refinished as I can see few small runs and drips.

The finish HAD a pleasing flat grey to it, until I buffed it with a rag.  It looks like graphite residue was left on the soft cloth that I used.
It now it looks like a shiny pencil lead.
What kind of finish is it?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
i think that's dry film lube, same stuff they use on the mags.  you upper doesn't have the typical arsenal refinish which is really tough and that's a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
That's encouraging, thanks.
Now that I inadvertently put a shine on it, I'm wondering how I'm going to match the finish I will be putting on my 80% lower.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#3]
There is hope, depending on how clean the upper receiver was when they painted it it might come off with good paint stripper.  I have had good luck with this, I don't know anything about the site that is selling it:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/klean-strip-fiberglass-paint-stripper-gaf354-p-14857.aspx?gclid=CMmnxPCAx8cCFciFfgodi04Dfw&kpid=18450

I pour some in a zip lock bag and let it sit, scrub it with a toothbrush and see what comes off.  If stripper won't take it off, I have had good luck with Mothers' wheel polish and a toothbrush.  If that won't take it off try the polish with a brass tooth brush but it will leave some brass residue behind.  I'll link to pictures of the one I worked on after work.

ETA: Actually, that is a fiberglass safe stripper.  I just use a "normal" stripper made by that company.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I ended up selling this upper because it had stamped rack numbers on the back of the carry handle and someone tried to "fix" it by sanding them off.  It is hard to see, but there is some mag paint left between the port door rod and the barrel nut threads.  Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Somebob, funny that you mentioned the rack number stamped into the back. Mine has a number also.

Short update.
I had some old paste paint stripper that didn't even phase the finish. But, even though that it stunk to high heaven, it is probably too old, and has lost it's strength.

So, I doused the receiver for a few minutes with some liquid paint deglosser that I had on hand.
This softened up the finish enough that a jewelers fiberglass scratch brush was able to remove it without hurting the anodizing.

So as somebob has said, "there is hope"

In an hour, I actually was able to carefully remove most of the finish from the left side before my fiberglass scratch brush was worn to a stub.
So I have ordered a few more and will continue. I may let the receiver soak in the deglosser for a few days.
Will keep everyone posted of the outcome.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ended up selling this upper because it had stamped rack numbers on the back of the carry handle and someone tried to "fix" it by sanding them off.  It is hard to see, but there is some mag paint left between the port door rod and the barrel nut threads.  Good luck and let us know how it works out.
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/somebob/parts/DSC03959_mod.jpg~original

View Quote

I believe I bought that upper off of you. It has since become an XM16E1 courtesy of JT. I will have to post pics when I take it to the range and zero.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i think that's dry film lube, same stuff they use on the mags.  you upper doesn't have the typical arsenal refinish which is really tough and that's a good thing.
View Quote

I would agree.  I've seen it used on uppers, lowers and buffer tubes.  I have the TM/ TO that spells out how it is to be applied. If I can locate it, I'll post the data.

Found it

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Note that molding compound was also used to fill in deep scratches
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
jeepdan, I've never used a fiberglass brush but use abrasion as a last resort. :)  Having some good paint stripper is well worth the money.  You'll have to take it on faith, but "normal" paint stripper just doesn't work for some applications.  I've tried soaking parts in Jasco and other strippers for a week and they remove absolutely nothing.  I then spend the $50+ for a gallon of the brand I linked to above and it takes 90% of the paint off in a couple minutes.  They sell it in smaller cans, stop by an automotive paint supply shop if there is one around.  You really want to preserve that original finish if possible.

When you're done be sure to bring that upper and BCG out in the sunlight for some more pictures, everyone here likes square forge 603 receivers and chrome XM16E1 BCGs.

Quoted:
Somebob, funny that you mentioned the rack number stamped into the back. Mine has a number also.

Short update.
I had some old paste paint stripper that didn't even phase the finish. But, even though that it stunk to high heaven, it is probably too old, and has lost it's strength.

So, I doused the receiver for a few minutes with some liquid paint deglosser that I had on hand.
This softened up the finish enough that a jewelers fiberglass scratch brush was able to remove it without hurting the anodizing.

In an hour, I actually was able to carefully remove most of the finish from the left side before my fiberglass scratch brush was worn to a stub.
So I have ordered a few more and will continue. I may let the receiver soak in the deglosser for a few days.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Short update.

Yes that is the receiver you bought from me.  It looks like I deleted the other pictures I had posted of it.  Do post some pictures when you get it back / complete the build.

I believe I bought that upper off of you. It has since become an XM16E1 courtesy of JT. I will have to post pics when I take it to the range and zero.

Thanks for posting that, a friend of mine has some of that paint in spray cans.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would agree.  I've seen it used on uppers, lowers and buffer tubes.  I have the TM/ TO that spells out how it is to be applied. If I can locate it, I'll post the data.

Found it

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt118/fortis120/Solid%20film_zpsx6vffvoa.jpg

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow! I truly have found a "Sleeping Beauty" hiding under gaudy make up.
If anything, the dry film finish has protected the anodizing from wear.

Here are pictures as promised.  

The digital camera didn't pick up the light olive hue that the grey anodizing has.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice job!  That turned out great.

ETA: Did you get use just the fiberglass brush to do this?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/somebob/parts/DSC03959_mod.jpg~original

View Quote

Here is that upper assembled back into XM16E1 configuration. I put some Alumablack on the rear of the carry handle until I can grab some paint to cover it up.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#13]
barman1941
I couldn't reply to your email for some reason. It was undeliverable.
IM me
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top