Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 5:12:22 PM EDT
How exactly did the cut down RPD's work? IE, the rpd's with the stock removed. Isn't there a buffer tube of sorts in side the stock? Photo is what I'm talking about.

I know this isn't the best place for this, but I figured y'all would know. Hopefully. This has been bugging me for a few years now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I am no expert on RPD's but if it fired from an open bolt, then it wouldn't need any extra space other than the receiver to function correctly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am no expert on RPD's but if it fired from an open bolt, then it wouldn't need any extra space other than the receiver to function correctly.
View Quote

The RPD seems to have a buffer tube in the stock, kinda like a FAL.

Here's a photo from a factory cutaway RPD.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha ha ......I've been seriously waiting for this question.  Sorry I am of no help.

Carry on...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, and I WANT ONE. Most SOG chopped ones in VN didn't even have front sights... That's Rhodesia.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes, and I WANT ONE. Most SOG chopped ones in VN didn't even have front sights... That's Rhodesia.
View Quote

Yes, but HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

This has been bugging me for years.

What gypsy kraut space magnets did they use to keep it running?      
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if those Scouts had to shoot any Lions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure they opened the gas port up a bit. I would, truthfully like a semi-version, even though it's not quite the same thing. It'd still piss off some liberals...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm sure they opened the gas port up a bit. I would, truthfully like a semi-version, even though it's not quite the same thing. It'd still piss off some liberals...
View Quote

Shorten the spring and open up the gas port makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

DO IT!

I love my regular length one in that it is the cheapest belt fed to buy and feed and the non-disintegrating links make reloading a belt easy. The brass comes out with enough authority to wound those around you  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How exactly did the cut down RPD's work? IE, the rpd's with the stock removed. Isn't there a buffer tube of sorts in side the stock? Photo is what I'm talking about.

http://www.operatorchan.org/k/src/143804342747.jpg

I know this isn't the best place for this, but I figured y'all would know. Hopefully. This has been bugging me for a few years now.
View Quote

Good question.  Cutaway diagram is below.  Obviously, there is a full length buffer inside the stock.  The only thing I can come up with is if some way a spring was added inside the gas cylinder around the gas piston.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

DO IT!

I love my regular length one in that it is the cheapest belt fed to buy and feed and the non-disintegrating links make reloading a belt easy. The brass comes out with enough authority to wound those around you  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DO IT!

What brand is yours? I tried to buy a FA version way back when they were somewhat affordable, but had to settle for an RPK. The only beltfed semi that interests me is the RPD.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that even an RPD?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What brand is yours? I tried to buy a FA version way back when they were somewhat affordable, but had to settle for an RPK. The only beltfed semi that interests me is the RPD.
View Quote

Mine is a Vector I bought from a local guy a little while back. It came with 4 belts/drums, 2 of them loaded, a Vickers sling and a 511 soft case for I think it was $1500.

I'm very happy with it and build quality is very good. If you get one though be careful of the exposed gas tube on the bottom as it can pinch the ever living hell out of you!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Do want.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Paging Osprey21 to the courtesy phone...

I just have a hunch that he might know something about these chop-SAWs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#16]
No reason to open the gas port, any one that has fired an original Russian one knows that it is the most over gassed gun ever put into production. It is so over gassed they had to change the belt tab design because the rounds walk out while being fired. A Class 2 friend welded up his gas regulator on his and made it smaller and the gun is so much better. So with a cut down barrel they probably did not have to do anything.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe reworked like FAL Paratrooper carbines or Daewoo carbines.  Recoil spring in the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#18]
That was built by a Rhodesian Armory during the Bush War. The picture is from a book on the Selous Scouts. I can't recall what modifications were made but that is a G3 front sight.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top