Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2015 11:43:43 PM EDT
Does anyone have some good photos of known original 601 slings?  There has been one on an auction site several times with no bids, and the stitching, and possibly the material, just don't look right.  What price range do they sell for?  I read somewhere that originals were 45" long.  Is this true?  If so,  it it 45" from tip of metal attachment to the tip of the sling, or 45" length of webbing?  Any info you might have would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Email me, I will send u pics of mine

The one you mention about here is

Real if it is the site I believe its on

I bought mine from him

Todd
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Does anyone have some good photos of known original 601 slings?  There has been one on an auction site several times with no bids, and the stitching, and possibly the material, just don't look right.  What price range do they sell for?  I read somewhere that originals were 45" long.  Is this true?  If so,  it it 45" from tip of metal attachment to the tip of the sling, or 45" length of webbing?  Any info you might have would be appreciated. Thanks.
View Quote

Just emailed you some more info, will send pics of my sling in the AM

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
something to keep in mind to is that cotton can stretch and shrink. If the sling was on a rifle for a long time it might have stretched a little bit and also if the sling was left alone in a damp environment and then dried it could have shrunk. Im not talking alot but its something to keep in mind. I was told this by a researcher who is finding out as much as he can about the 601 rifles. Another thing is that these are not proofed marked because they were made in many different factories at the same time so some of them will have different materials and stitching. Since there are no marks on the slings it is hard to say where they were made and by who. Also they made a huge excess of these and used them all the way until the early 70's just to use them up. The majority of them were the later version with the adjustment strap on them but some were still the original versions.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
something to keep in mind to is that cotton can stretch and shrink. If the sling was on a rifle for a long time it might have stretched a little bit and also if the sling was left alone in a damp environment and then dried it could have shrunk. Im not talking alot but its something to keep in mind. I was told this by a researcher who is finding out as much as he can about the 601 rifles. Another thing is that these are not proofed marked because they were made in many different factories at the same time so some of them will have different materials and stitching. Since there are no marks on the slings it is hard to say where they were made and by who. Also they made a huge excess of these and used them all the way until the early 70's just to use them up. The majority of them were the later version with the adjustment strap on them but some were still the original versions.
View Quote

Statement I highlited in red is NOT true. According to Bill Ricca, a Mom and Pop shop located in the North East (New Hampshire or Maine IIRC) supplied the specific 601 slings to Colt. At the time,Bill was moving but did state that he had the contract information and the Mom/Pop company name.
What does need to be remembered is that when Colt made the 601, they intended to be the sole supplier of "the package" to include the rifle, bayonet, bipod, light weight cleaning rod, energa sight, magazines, sling etc. They did not necessarily use regular military contractors to make their products.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Statement I highlited in red is NOT true. According to Bill Ricca, a Mom and Pop shop located in the North East (New Hampshire or Maine IIRC) supplied the specific 601 slings to Colt. At the time,Bill was moving but did state that he had the contract information and the Mom/Pop company name.
What does need to be remembered is that when Colt made the 601, they intended to be the sole supplier of "the package" to include the rifle, bayonet, bipod, light weight cleaning rod, energa sight, magazines, sling etc. They did not necessarily use regular military contractors to make their products.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh I have received info from a couple people saying otherwise. Someone needs to find some documents to prove all of these theories lol. Most of the 601 info is what other people have heard form other people sort of thing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Huh I have received info from a couple people saying otherwise. Someone needs to find some documents to prove all of these theories lol. Most of the 601 info is what other people have heard form other people sort of thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like said, Bill has the contract info and name of place they were made. Just a matter of him trying to "pull the stuff out". The one thing about Bill is that he will  NEVER will answer a question UNLESS he can back it up with original contracts.
The problem with many of these forums is exactly what you said,,,I heard it from a guy who heard it from so and so, bla bla bla.. That's how "dis-information" becomes internet bible truth. I personally will never post anything as "fact" unless I can back it up with written historic info. I will, at times, offer theories but am sure to post that it is my theory and not fact based.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a sling that looks like a cotton Garand sling but it is nylon with aluminum hardware.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I sold one in the past that had a number stamped on it. there should be one somewhere
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Is there any documentation on the 45” sling?

Did ALL 601 rifles come with the 45” sling?

Colt in their CX- type exploded view drawing for the early 601 type lists two Colt part numbers with notations on the part.

Colt PN. “ 62149 Long “
Colt PN. “ 62135 Short “

In another CX- exploded view drawing the items are listed with this description.

Colt PN. “ 62149 Sling – Butt Stock “
Colt PN. “ 62135 Sling  Pistol Grip “

These drawings are undated but the latter seems to be earlier.

Here are a couple of photos that show AR-15’s with green stocks and the slings are clearly shown. ( if I have done this right )

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/9ac57bee969de3d0_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/85f9f1151ec23421_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/88e7f495047e70ed_large

I would estimate these slings as about 51 to 53 inches in length .  It appears that these are the PN. 62149 sling.

Also …..note the “Correct Colt Approved Way ” of attaching the sling to the rifle….with the clip end attached to the front sling swivel.

Jim

Jim Thorpe, PA.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]

A little more on the “short” and “long” slings.

In almost all the photos of Colt 601 rifles in “The Black Rifle” V-1 they have the PN. 62149 long sling.

Pg. 83 shows 601 SN. 000145 with the long sling.

Pg. 108 shows the cover of the original 601 Air Force TM with the PN. 62149 sling.

Pg. 111 shows a “601” on trials with the PN. 62149 sling. ( the SN of the rifle looks to me too high for a 601 but I cannot read it completely)

Again….note that the slings are attached to the rifle with the clip end on the front sling swivel.

On the PN. 62135 “short” sling there is only one photo of a 601 with it.

Pg. 82 601 SN. 000112 has the short sling and it is attached to the pistol grip as described in the Colt exploded view drawing.

This sling appears to measure approximately 45” in length.

Does anyone have any hard documentation on the use of these slings in the production rifles?

Jim

Jim Thorpe, PA.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A little more on the “short” and “long” slings.

In almost all the photos of Colt 601 rifles in “The Black Rifle” V-1 they have the PN. 62149 long sling.

Pg. 83 shows 601 SN. 000145 with the long sling.

Pg. 108 shows the cover of the original 601 Air Force TM with the PN. 62149 sling.

Pg. 111 shows a “601” on trials with the PN. 62149 sling. ( the SN of the rifle looks to me too high for a 601 but I cannot read it completely)

Again….note that the slings are attached to the rifle with the clip end on the front sling swivel.

On the PN. 62135 “short” sling there is only one photo of a 601 with it.

Pg. 82 601 SN. 000112 has the short sling and it is attached to the pistol grip as described in the Colt exploded view drawing.

This sling appears to measure approximately 45” in length.

Does anyone have any hard documentation on the use of these slings in the production rifles?

Jim

Jim Thorpe, PA.
View Quote

Great info!!!!!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top