Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2015 9:24:17 AM EDT
Mods;  would it not be a good idea to post in a locked topic WHY it was locked, that way we could learn from our mistakes, and not do it again.  You currenly have two licked threads in this section, with no explanation as to why they are locked.  I THINK I know why, but it would be nice if you would TELL us the reasons you lock threads.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTL
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to guess it has a lot to do with people posting their own ads,  asking people to post their ads for them,  and maybe little of posting ads then buying the item you just linked.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Like gun control,  punishing the many for the actions of the few...

CoC violation posting a link to one's own advertisement. Technically heads up threads break the CoC but were tolerated until the blatant rules break.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
What a shame too as it would often be things I would never find as I don't go on ebay and lots of auctions on gunbroker or ads on the EE often don't have "retro" in the description. I guess if they did it wouldn't be much of a bargain

May save me a bit of money though from buying crap like M231 stocks I don need!
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was the lock message I posted not clear? No more "Heads Up" threads/posts until the matter is discussed by the Staff and Mods of this forum.

There was a resource made available to the members of this forum, because many considered it valuable. Because of this, it was allowed despite it not really being a tech discussion.

Some of the members decided to abuse this resource, and now it's locked.
View Quote

Why not kick THOSE MEMBERS off of the site for 30 or 60 days, rather than punishing ALL OF US?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]
IBTL
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I let a lot of stuff slide in here because you guys are well behaved, usually
View Quote

And we appreciate the leeway you mods give us, really. CoC violation = good lock.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
The C&R forum has been that way for a long time......I'm surprised it took so long actually......

I'm not a fan of links to active auctions on firearms forums........sellers need to learn how to list an item so it'll be found, and buyers need to learn how to search.......

as far as having a buddy post a "look what I found" about one of one of your own items?.....well.....we see what that got us......
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The C&R forum has been that way for a long time......I'm surprised it took so long actually......

I'm not a fan of links to active auctions on firearms forums........sellers need to learn how to list an item so it'll be found, and buyers need to learn how to search.......

as far as having a buddy post a "look what I found" about one of one of your own items?.....well.....we see what that got us......
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Was the lock message I posted not clear? No more "Heads Up" threads/posts until the matter is discussed by the Staff and Mods of this forum.

There was a resource made available to the members of this forum, because many considered it valuable. Because of this, it was allowed despite it not really being a tech discussion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I let a lot of stuff slide in here because you guys are well behaved, usually

Thank you both for recognizing that we are all RBRD sick puppies, and letting us get away with stuff that we know wouldn't happen in other forums.  It truly is appreciated by many of us, and we will take our lumps when those times come.

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

The shilling among posters has been blatant for quite some time and not just in that thread.

In the same vein, there has been a lot of passive/aggressive indirect ad stomping on this part of the board also.

Especially when it came to sellers who don't frequent this sub-forum as targets.

I think the only fair way to do it is have a sales links resource where members simply post a link to the sale

theirs or not, and a brief title/description. No comments as to whether it is a good deal or not.

I don't think its practical to eliminate them entirely.  

ETA: A lot of cleaning up would have to be done throughout the site and even stricter enforcement of rules

which in turn would just hinder the exchange of information among members.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The shilling among posters has been blatant for quite some time and not just in that thread.

In the same vein, there has been a lot of passive/aggressive indirect ad stomping on this part of the board also.

Especially when it came to sellers who don't frequent this sub-forum as targets.

I think the only fair way to do it is have a sales links resource where members simply post a link to the sale

theirs or not, and a brief title/description. No comments as to whether it is a good deal or not.

ETA: A lot of cleaning up would have to be done throughout the site and even stricter enforcement of rules

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I do not know the answer - and I can see both sides, but as a buyer it was a lot more fun before all these "Heads Up" posts, logging onto the marketplace and hoping to run across that once in a lifetime deal.

And as a seller it was fun trying to formulate a listing and title that attracted attention and possible buyers instead of the current practice having a buddy post a link.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Since I was visiting, I cleaned up the tacked threads. I've created two new announcements with links to the info and pic threads. They have all been set so they can't go to the archive servers, so you don't have to deal with all the tacked threads on the first page.
View Quote

Thanks, thats mildly annoyed me for years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why not kick THOSE MEMBERS off of the site for 30 or 60 days, rather than punishing ALL OF US?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or block them from the EE or both.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Since I was visiting, I cleaned up the tacked threads. I've created two new announcements with links to the info and pic threads. They have all been set so they can't go to the archive servers, so you don't have to deal with all the tacked threads on the first page.
View Quote

THANK YOU, much cleaner looking now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  

A lot better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]
+1 very happy with the clean up.

Could you add the retro shotgun thread to the information links thread? I saw the sidearm thread there but not the shotgun thread. Shotgun thread is here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/392628_.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 very happy with the clean up.

Could you add the retro shotgun thread to the information links thread? I saw the sidearm thread there but not the shotgun thread. Shotgun thread is here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/392628_.html

Done.

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ 1  That has always bothered me too.  There was space for just a few recent posts, with all the tacked threads occupying the main page.  By the way, the tacked threads are some of the most informative as to retro variations, build guides, etc.  If someone is new to this, there are some excellent resources there.

Despite what a lot of people say, this forum is pretty well-moderated, especially when you realize how big it is and how much material it covers.  The main reason I joined was because of the retro forum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Did I make it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Sadly a group of  people had to screw up what was a great thread for education and could have shown how prices were rising and falling. But just like every nice thing, some people have to be of such low character to use and abuse any and every little thing for their finical gain scams.  These people will go back to their click baiting and keyword spamming ways, making it harder for decent people who follow the rules and behave themselves.  Sadly some of our own Retro-  people had to have us regulated. Just like how so many gun laws have happened.....  

Moderators give people breaks, leeway, and don't use an iron fist. Then the low character people start getting bolder and bolder with their disrespect and knowingly engage in behavior that isn't allowed while patting themselves on the back for being the smartest scum user out there.  The honor system / COC is lost on them. Now the moderators have more work, hassles and headaches all because a few people couldn't tolerate that their sales post wasn't on everyone's screen and multiple places on the site. Knowing how such behavior has ruined many  discussion places online since the beginning of BBS, USENET/Newsgroups and email onward. My guess is most of this bad lot are using adblocking software, adding irony into this for when it is their advertisement it is special snowflake time...   The moderators have enough work  already and are very under appreciated for all that they do and deal with.

besides
No one likes shills.....  
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#29]
This topic should now be moved to General Discussion...right?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#30]
It ended because of a comment I made, so you can blame me. Sorry to all you Retro heads, I will just IM and email you deals if and when I come across them. I keep a list of who has what parts and for what prices to help guys find parts they are looking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It ended because of a comment I made, so you can blame me. Sorry to all you Retro heads, I will just IM and email you deals if and when I come across them. I keep a list of who has what parts and for what prices to help guys find parts they are looking.
View Quote

That's not the way I see it.....I hate to point fingers but I was thinking it was the guy pushing his own bolt carrier
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I hope I haven't contributed to this.
While I know many of my GB ads were heads upped I could have been part of it.

Being a guy who sells stuff I find it odd how people can start threads asking for basic common parts ( where there was a tacky thread saying where they were). You don't post asking where to find something unless you are shopping.
The difference in WTB and Where to find ad is in the wording.....   What is weird is they ask and I can answer, because it is a topic. But who is to say I am not advertsising by answering there question. You allow the question but the answer is violation worthy.

Someone with a shell account can plug someone elses gear with no bounds. Some member will plug other people stuff on a regular basis.. It can happen according to the rules...

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Being a guy who sells stuff I find it odd how people can start threads asking for basic common parts ( where there was a tacky thread saying where they were). You don't post asking where to find something unless you are shopping.
The difference in WTB and Where to find ad is in the wording.....   What is weird is they ask and I can answer, because it is a topic. But who is to say I am not advertsising by answering there question. You allow the question but the answer is violation worthy.

Someone with a shell account can plug someone elses gear with no bounds. Some member will plug other people stuff on a regular basis.. It can happen according to the rules...

View Quote

Every time that I asked the question where is a good source for part ''x''? (Source implying a reputable vendor)

I got messages in my mailbox offering said part for an extremely inflated price.

A lot of times it tended to be the same sellers offering over and over.

Why not just post all those items in the EE if you're really looking to sell?

My repeated personal conclusion is that the items in question and the prices being requested probably wouldn't

hold up to the open scrutiny when being sold on the EE.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Every time that I asked the question where is a good source for part ''x''? (Source implying a reputable vendor)

I got messages in my mailbox offering said part for an extremely inflated price.

My repeated personal conclusion is that the items in question and the prices being requested probably wouldn't

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're a team member you can have an ignore list which also block people on the list from IM'ing you. I use it to block people that I see as unscrupulous sellers in the EE so they cant respond to my WTB ads etc.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#36]
For information like "Manufacturer X makes part Y," can't that be posted here?  (Fake 607 style moderator for example)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/263900_So__you_are_thinking_of_a_retro_build___PICS_and_information_LIST_OF_RETRO_PARTS_SUPPLIERS.html&page=12

I rarely look at that thread, but that might be the appropriate place to post info about currently manufactured retro parts.  (not one time auctions / for sale ads for a finite supply)
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#37]
lets get back to technical discussion. question has been answered
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top