Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2015 11:40:31 PM EDT
My grandfather joined the Marine Corps Force Reconnaissance in early 1971, and served until 1972.  I was wondering if any of you guys knew what he would've carried during his service.  I doubt it makes any difference, but he was a smaller guy, about 5'9, 140-150 lbs.  I've been wanting to do a retro build for a pretty long while, and now is as good a time as ever.  I would also like to keep it under about 1200 bucks if possible.  This will be my first build, and I can use a friend's AR vise block and tools if need be.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Standard issue for the time would have been an M16A1 or by 1971 possibly a rebuilt XM16E1...

http://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/603E1.html

http://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/603A1.html

Do you have any pics??
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably the M16A1 which was the most common in service at the time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Force Reconnaissance, What a group. They travel light, and quick.
Many of them had modified weapons ( Not authorized by most MC commanders) but they were allowed to get away with it.
They earned everything the hard way.
If your grandfather is still alive just ask him. If not most anything worked.
The M-16A1 would be a good weapon to start with and go to a few of the MC face book places and look.
Good luck!
Ron
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#4]
They also used a lot of 604s and the Marine Corp actually replaced the newer birdcage with 3-prongs for several years - I would bet a late 604 with 3-prong wouldn't be out of the question. Ask him if he remembers a trapdoor in the stock - it'd be right on the cusp. As mentioned, I believe Force Recon did what they wanted, and used any number of 'unauthorized weapons'. Probably not to the extent SOG did, but nothing would really surprise me. Those guys were, and are, badasses at the top of their game.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#5]
When I went into Force recon in 1978, our issue weapon was the M16A1. As was said, those that served in Force Recon in the Vietnam War could have carried a variety of weapons. In 1971, the standard issue weapon was the M16A1.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I went into Force recon in 1978, our issue weapon was the M16A1. As was said, those that served in Force Recon in the Vietnam War could have carried a variety of weapons. In 1971, the standard issue weapon was the M16A1.
View Quote

One of my old runnin' buds was Force Recon and was in Viet Nam 67-68.  He said he used a shotgun, mostly.

I never thought to ask what kind.  

Presumably the OP has looked thru photo albums or shoeboxes, might be a clue there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Best to ask the man what was his choice.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
In that time frame he was most probably using an M16A1,

However, he could have also been issued an 629 (XM177E2) or even a then new 653 Carbine.

When I was in the Corps in the early 80's we (Infantry Weapons Shop) supported 2nd Force Recon as well as the 2nd Recon Battalion. The 629's had been long gone but they continued to issue the 653.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Best to ask.  Forced Recon 1971 M-16A1 as stated previously was current production.

$1200 should be enough to  build an excellent M16-A1 clone or 604 for the time period even paying top coins,  using NDS lower and having engraved.  Get earlier than 1970 and price goes up today.  Still deals to be had if in right place at right time with coins in pocket to flash.  Sartt low and simply peel off another $50-100 until deal is done. Do you homework so you don't get took.  Lot of BS artist selling worn out  junk now days and that will simply run up build costs to get something decent unless all you want to do is look at it.   Would think you might want to check into some special engraving or such to really take build over the top and personalize.  Probably hurt future re-sale but who's gonna sell it.  I believe member Braceman can do engraving but possibly only on 80% lower and Ident Engraving or such also. If you run into a snag ask or IM as many here will help out without breaking the bank.  Word of advice only buy what you need for your  build as extras can lead to addiction RBRD.  Make a plan and stick to it and don't let the slick talkers empty your wallet and bank account.  It can happen very fast before you even see it coming!

I actually went to Quantico most every weekend in late 70's and picked up best friend's cousin or friends who were in force recon unit and bring down to Richmond for an escape.  Those guys could really run and shoot.  My brother's best friend's older brother was actually their captain.  Small world.  Don't think that helped them much.  All I ever met had watches synchronized to the second when they were getting out and I thought that was funny.  When I met a new guy I'd always ask when he got out and he'd would look at his watch and tell me with exactness.

I remember running with them on Sat mornings.  5-10 miles for me,  10-20 for them and they would usually catch me in last mile on return.  I would wait a bit but I couldn't keep up or wouldn't and I was in pretty good shape. That was on their days off.  For shooting all were good and a couple were real good like the best of the bunch.  They could make shots with a decent Colt SP-1 that most wouldn't believe and at distance. They were used to shooting well worn rifles so something decent was a real treat and they could really make it perform.  Don't ever remember them talking about XM177's but they did have a couple 606 pieces in the unit if memory is correct.  All I met were too young for VN and were stationed in Korea for three years before returning stateside.  Thanks for post as it provided a nice stroll down memory lane.  Need to stop by and visit buddy as he's not doing well.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top