Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2015 5:29:24 PM EDT
Well guys, I have not even finished up on my XM16E1 and M16A1 builds and I am already starting on getting parts together for a 605 build. I ordered the partial-fence lower from Harlan the other day as well as some more parts from Slim at Indiana Army Surplus. Here is the stuff I ordered from him.

D stock
Receiver extension
Buttplate screw
Buffer
Buffer spring
Triangular handguards
Bolt catch
Magazine release, spring, and button
XM Grey trigger guard
Teardrop forward assist, spring, and roll pin
Takedown pin
Gas tube (current)

I have a bid in for a 604 upper receiver (w/sight assembly and port door assembly) on GB. I am really hoping I can score this upper. Since the lower will not be ready for a few more months yet, I have time to get the barrel.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
That's funny, I started a 605 and have just  the barrel ready, completed by JT & a partial fence on order from NDS, and nothing else. I keep thinking I will run across a real 605 upper at a gunshow one day, but realistically will probably never happen. Going to one tomorrow morning, big one here in Fort Lauderdale, hey ya never know.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The 605 is a neat carbine make one think why they didnt make it work.i think with the stamp it will be the 2nd !$$ retro build.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have a 605 on hot stand by. Everything, and I mean every part is a go other than my NDS upper which Mike stated they started a batch on June 03. Anxiously waiting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The 605 style is my favorite.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it when complete.

JT did the barrel work on mine too.

A couple pics of my 605 BFPU.  Mike at NDS did the "aging" on the 605 upper and lower before shipment.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A couple pics of my 605 BFPU.  Mike at NDS did the "aging" on the 605 upper and lower before shipment.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/ar15guy/IMG_2064_zps7ce3d5e9.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/ar15guy/IMG_2059_zps541d4581.jpg

View Quote

Great looking rifles.
ar15guy, I have a question, that I sent via email. Your IM inbox is full.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I already have plans to have him do my barrel work as well. I am still undecided if I want to use an AR15Sport barrel or use an original Colt barrel. I will be aging the receivers myself. I am getting pretty good at it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Been contacted by a few members about the DOD stamp I used on my 605 build.

I purchased the rubber stamps about 5 or 6 years ago from a fellow site member.  I don't remember his exact user name....is something like "MorrisXXX" the XXX are numbers (maybe 419).  I purchased both the large and small stamps.

I used some Testors white model paint.  It's a little tricky to work with and as you can tell, the stamp on my 605 is a little thick.  Probably should have thinned the paint a little more.

You might check with John Thomas to determine if he can provide this type of stamping service.

OP, sorry about sidetracking your post.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I already have plans to have him do my barrel work as well. I am still undecided if I want to use an AR15Sport barrel or use an original Colt barrel. I will be aging the receivers myself. I am getting pretty good at it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand the thought process involved in cutting down an original barrel or purchasing a new one.  I thought long and hard about that subject and determined to go in a different direction.  I built my 605 as a dedicated .22 upper with a new dedicated barrel purchased from CMMG, then sent it to JT for his magic.  Due to the fact the dedicated .22 barrel as an extension into the receiver, I was able to forgo the entire "stamp" issue.

As far as the "aging" is concerned.  I contacted Mike at NDS about 6 or 7 years ago and asked if they could perform that function.  Long story short, he "aged" the upper and lower prior to shipment.  My upper and lower are pictured on their website to show the service they can perform for you.

Good luck on your build and I'm looking forward to seeing some in-process and completed pictures.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#9]
You might check with John Thomas to determine if he can provide this type of stamping service.

OP, sorry about sidetracking your post.
View Quote

I do offer this service.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a few other places that you could source barrels from as well, depending on the twist you want. For example, Green Mountain now offers their 1:12 A1 barrel with rifle ramps. It has to be drilled for the FSB, but I don't know if not having an FSB already on it will make it easier to cut down / work on. Faxon offers a 1:8 in a near-correct profile (a bit thicker under the handguards and thinner after the FSB) and Dez Arms has a 1:7. Both are without FSB as well.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I won the auction for the Colt 604 upper, so now I will have a great upper for this 605 build. I am getting a chrome slickside bolt carrier and bolt from boywonder777.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#13]
605 has been on my short list for a long time!

Yet another reason for me to consider a BFPU for the GX-5857. I REALLY want to use that purty slick upper I have with the nice kit barrel I have!

Maybe I can save on shipping and send TWO barrels to Rabbi Thoms to be circumcised!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I got in a bunch of stuff from Indiana Army Surplus a little bit ago. The D stock looks great. It even has rack numbers on it. Does anyone see a problem using this stock for a 605 build or would it be better suited on my XM16E1 build?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:Maybe I can save on shipping and send TWO barrels to Rabbi Thoms to be circumcised!
View All Quotes
Quoted:Maybe I can save on shipping and send TWO barrels to Rabbi Thoms to be circumcised!

That would make him a mohel, not a rabbi!

Quoted:
I got in a bunch of stuff from Indiana Army Surplus a little bit ago. The D stock looks great. It even has rack numbers on it. Does anyone see a problem using this stock for a 605 build or would it be better suited on my XM16E1 build?

The 605 confused me a bit with its stock. At first I thought it was a Type D because of how some of the pictures are, but would the correct one actually be a Type B that was black?
To be honest, I am still learning how to identify the different components myself and the stocks are one of the hardest things for me tell apart. If nothing else, you could use the Type D until you get the proper one. I wouldn't let that stop me from enjoying the rifle if that was the last component I had to find!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The 605 confused me a bit with its stock. At first I thought it was a Type D because of how some of the pictures are, but would the correct one actually be a Type B that was black?
To be honest, I am still learning how to identify the different components myself and the stocks are one of the hardest things for me tell apart. If nothing else, you could use the Type D until you get the proper one. I wouldn't let that stop me from enjoying the rifle if that was the last component I had to find!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was actually referring to the fact it has rack numbers on it. I cannot recall seeing any 605s with rack numbers on the stocks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was actually referring to the fact it has rack numbers on it. I cannot recall seeing any 605s with rack numbers on the stocks.
View Quote

Oh. Well now I feel a bit silly. I'd have no idea on that at all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I solved my issue. I went ahead and removed the rack numbers. Now, I have a nice clean looking stock.

BTW, the handguards that I just got are two different ones. The left one has the matte finish and the right one has the shiny mottled finish. I would really like to trade out the left side matte finish one for a left side shiny mottled finish one. I could even trade the other way if need be.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shalom ZMan! What ya expect from a goy?

But I'm one of the GOOD gentiles! EVERY member of the tribe I have met have been dayum good people that never held my gentilism against me.

On topic;

D stocks are what most folks use on their 605's.

Have to get one of the gurus to speak up on if the originals had B's or C's.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But I'm one of the GOOD gentiles! EVERY member of the tribe I have met have been dayum good people that never held my gentilism against me.

On topic;

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On topic;

I have a Type C on mine but I wanted to use it because it was a perfect match for the mottled no drain HG's and PG.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Man I'm grooving on this upcoming 605 build. Like I posted earlier, still waiting on my 604 NDS upper that Mike said went into battery June 03. You members here are giving me more ideas than need be. I really like the DOD stamp and green furniture ar15guy has on his 605. Guess I'll have to poke JT before I send off my parts to him for more info and prices.

I've been following this post with enthusiastic vigor. I can't wait to get this project rolling. Still stoked that I purchased from Fulton Armory last month a chopped brand new 1-12 twist Colt 16" chrome lined chamber/bore barrel with front sight post and barrel nut for $138 plus shipping. Oh, and a slick sided chrome M16 bolt carrier. And thankfully I already had a Type D stock and NDS XM16E1 lower with OEM Colt LPK waiting for something to happen.

And jrs93accord: I'd had removed the rack numbers also. Good call.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I am resolving my handguard issue as well. I spoke with Slim today and he is going to send me another set with a shiny mottled left side and a matte finish right side. This way, I will have a complete set of matte finish handguards and a set of shiny mottled handguards. At $19.95 for a set of handguards, you cannot beat it. I will most like end up using the extra set on a 604 build in the future.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Well guys, looks like I am getting a ready-made barrel assembly. magalops contacted me and he offered me the one he had done by JT. All I have to do is get the FH pinned and welded. Things are progressing nicely.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I got my Colt 604 upper this afternoon. It looks great. When I bought it, the seller told me that the port door spring was broken. Well, I fixed that in less than a minute. It works great and I still have an original spring. I also got in the chrome 601 carrier and bolt from boywonder777.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I got the barrel from magalops. I looks great. John Thomas did a great job on it. Now, to get a proper charging handle and gas tube. I am working with boywonder777 on these two items. With any luck, I can get the 3-prong FH pinned and welded soon and get the upper finished.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is a mock up of the upper assembly.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#29]
man that looks sweeeet!
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Sweet.  I noticed that if you time the 3-prong FH so that one of the tines is at 6 o'clock, there is almost no muzzle climb at all.

When shooting from a bench supported position, my front sight barely moves on the target, even with 69gr SMK hand loads.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Heh, we are both working on the same project.... As you all know I had issues with mine and I tore it down, I scrapped (Sold) the MP C barrel that was on it and had another 605 barrel done.. Should be done by August, but I'm making y'all wait for pics until my upper is rebuilt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I finally got everything finished on the upper and installed it on my XM16E1 lower for now until I get the NDS lower I have ordered for the 605. At least, this way I can go ahead and shoot it to make sure it functions fine and can zero the sights. Hopefully, I will have the lower within the next couple months. Here are a few pics from this morning.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks Good as always. You finished yours before I finished mine..... They look very similar, I am using a Type C Stock, No drain HG's and a skinny grip for furniture and a transitional BCG with Chrome Key and Chrome MP Bolt for that Prototype look.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#34]
That looks really nice
Wow, I want to finish mine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks great. Very nice details in your build.

I enjoy mine. At some point, I'd love to get an NDS 605 upper, but the slick side is probably more correct. I think at this point there are more 605 clones then real 605's ever built.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#36]
When I get the actual lower for this build, it will have a dimpled selector on it. I have one set aside already.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]
She looks great and will look even better with the lower and additional parts you mentioned.

Thanks for updating your progress.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#38]

jrs93accord,  WOW, your 605 looks great.  Please keep us informed when you get the new Lower and updated parts.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#39]
yes, that carbine has an excellent look to it!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I took the mocked up 605 to the range this morning (along with my TAVOR) to see how well it functioned. In one word, OUTSTANDING. JT does some really good work on these barrel assemblies. It cycled great and was dead on at 50 yards. I was even hitting some small sticks at 100 yards with it. I did not even have to adjust the sights. That is pretty impressive when you can marry a barrel assembly to an upper and not have to adjust the sights. I am really going to love this carbine. I will be happier when the lower for it arrives and I can get it 100% completed.

BTW, the TAVOR is a lot of fun too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I took the mocked up 605 to the range this morning (along with my TAVOR) to see how well it functioned. In one word, OUTSTANDING. JT does some really good work on these barrel assemblies. It cycled great and was dead on at 50 yards. I was even hitting some small sticks at 100 yards with it. I did not even have to adjust the sights. That is pretty impressive when you can marry a barrel assembly to an upper and not have to adjust the sights. I am really going to love this carbine. I will be happier when the lower for it arrives and I can get it 100% completed.

View Quote

My upper is boxed up and will be on its way to JT this week, everything else is finished...... Looking forward to the finished product.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My upper is boxed up and will be on its way to JT this week, everything else is finished...... Looking forward to the finished product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure you will be very pleased with the work JT does on these 605 barrel assemblies.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I am sure you will be very pleased with the work JT does on these 605 barrel assemblies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He really does have it down to a science at this point. I don't want to jinx myself, but no issues of any type to date on mine. What is there to say about this model that has not already been said... Freaking cool! I went the dimpled LPC route on mine, another great service that JT offers (not to take away from others that offer this service). I have been thinking of getting an NDS 80% lower and sending it off to Braceman for engraving to really finish off the package. Too many other projects in the fire right now though.

Your project is really coming along, great job.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know John is prolly the best gunsmith out there but I actually asked Jerrell to do my 605 first, just because of the fact he is a master with 605's and has done several member's including Morg's and Morg's 605 was my inspiration.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Today received email from Harlan that my slightly blem 604 upper has shipped. Looking forward to this 605 project to say the least. The blem result was not enough for me to pass. Small stripes on upper under rear sight aperture area. Character is best to describe it. Yes, NDS offered discount for the blem. More than happy with NDS in my previous business dealings. Pictures to follow.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Today received email from Harlan that my slightly blem 604 upper has shipped. Looking forward to this 605 project to say the least. The blem result was not enough for me to pass. Small stripes on upper under rear sight aperture area. Character is best to describe it. Yes, NDS offered discount for the blem. More than happy with NDS in my previous business dealings. Pictures to follow.
View Quote

Cool beans! I'd rather have an NDS blem than some companies' first quality items.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Cool beans! I'd rather have an NDS blem than some companies' first quality items.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top