Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2015 4:00:22 PM EDT
does anyone make new, high quality triangular hand guards?

I've looked at gunbroker and e-bay but all I've found are used ones.

I have a 20" heavy barrel bushmaster that has the triangular cap.

any leads would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use the A2 round handguards with the triangle end cap, just food for thought.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to find NOS triangle handguards easily. I've had a couple of sets, and still have a set in plastic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should be able to find NOS triangle handguards easily. I've had a couple of sets, and still have a set in plastic.
View Quote

Rights are very easy to come by..... Lefts are a little tougher to obtain NIW lately, makes me wish I didn't sell off 90% of my handgaurds.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can use the A2 round handguards with the triangle end cap, just food for thought.
View Quote

I would suggest this route as well. I bought an A2 handguard set from Rock River Arms.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
my bushmaster came with the later style round hand guards.

I want to go retro with a triangular set.

I found a set of unissued triangle ones for $200.00 at specialized armament.

still looking...
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
does anyone make new, high quality triangular hand guards?
View Quote

Jeez..... answer his question.....

No

Nobody makes NEW triangle HG's.  You can find old NIW triangle hand guards with  a little luck, but otherwise, your stuck .

Search GB and EE for NIW, NOS triangle HG's they exist for around $70..... Good Luck with the hunt.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got some in excellent condition on Gun Broker, but as far as NOS all I could find in my recent search was right side. No idea why there are all these NOS right sides but no lefts!
You can get the NOS right side for about $12 on GunBroker, but then you only have half of the pair. I'd suggest just finding some really nice ones instead of fixating on NOS.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#8]
If your wanting NOS triangle's plan on spending over $100 for the pair.
There was a seller on Ebay a few months ago that sold several sets that were NIW, they all brought between $115 and $130.
If you don't need the wrapper, you can find excellent condition used ones for $50 to $70.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#9]
It'll be interesting to see when the thirst for retro exceeds the supply of usable triangular handguards...

Or can we presume there's some huge supply of triangular handguards sitting in a Army depot somewhere, and the threat of those being dumped on the market for $5 provides disincentive for anyone to gear up to make new ones?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#10]
half way there.

I bought a right hand NIW guard on e-bay for about $9.00.

maybe someday the left ones will shake loose.

thanks for all your input.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rights are very easy to come by..... Lefts are a little tougher to obtain NIW lately, makes me wish I didn't sell off 90% of my handgaurds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd. Why is that?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Odd. Why is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd. Why is that?

All leftside Triangle Handgaurds get beat to hell much faster than rights because of the way the guns get handled and laid down. Think about it.... If you were gonna lay your weapon down, would you lay it with the port side in the dirt or the port side up in the air?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought there was a vendor making new sets. I know there are new carbine lengths made.  I will search and see what I come up with

EDIT:

Did see these surplus fair condition (which didn't look all that bad for $29/set

http://www.uscoreplicas.net/

Here's $20/set

http://www.keepshooting.com/m16-triangular-handguards.html

Well I guess I was wrong, sorry. You can always take a set that isn't missing teeth and refinish them to look 'new'
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Model 1 Sales used to have new-made triangle handguards in rifle and carbine lengths.  Now they are out of stock on the rifle length but still have the carbine length in stock.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a friend that makes carbon fiber race car parts. A few years ago I tried to convince him to take molds from a nice set of original triangle handguards that I have so we could produce some in carbon fiber. They would be stronger than anything the government supplied to troops and they could be painted black to look original ( or left carbon fiber for a new/ retro look ). He flatly refused to make them because of any liability he might run into making gun parts. Of course making race car parts is ok because it is such a safe sport.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Why would anyone make new a1handgaurds?

I have plenty of like new ones to sell.  
Plenty. I won't say how many.  But its s lot.
And they are less than what others ask.   If the op is looking at a 200 dollar set them I need to start a website.

There is no good reason to crank up production.  
More than likely you will use plastic instead of asbestos fiberglass and epoxy and have an expensive inferior product.

Be. Careful about niw. They can be cracked while in the package.
we should be more careful before asking the market with reproductions when the actual surplus more than suffericient to meet demand.
We will end up with plastic h/gs.. Yuck
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Reading this post, got me thinking- are these things now so hard to find?

Did a google search.

Didnt find any New triangular handguard sets, but did find four or more on line vendors that had VG to excellent condtion sets for $20- $50.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]
update:

jhud sold me a set of like new hand guards that fit and look great.

the heat shields are straight and complete.

I might add that they were very well packaged.

I recommend doing business with him.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I seriously know someone who is sitting on OVER 10,000 sets of of triangular hand guards.  Three of us spent a LONG day going through about 1,000 sets of the hand guards looking for elusive 601 hand guards.  We found lots of no drain hole hand guards, but no brown ones with green or black paint.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Fulton Armory
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top