Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 6:40:41 PM EDT
Does anyone have a picture other than the one on page 177 of the Black Rifle? Any idea what it is made of? Looks like unfinished aluminum to me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Disregard...

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about the thing in the side of the stock on the prototype?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
YES!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
This is I'll I've got.

Looks like it's grey so, I'd go with either anodized aluminum or parkerized steel.

Best bet on what it is, is an opening to knock out the locking pin for quick removal of the stock. Unlike our 607 replicas, the originals just used a dowel pin hammered through the locking rod. No set screws holding it in place or anything fancy. They probably decided it was best if you couldn't remove it in the field and did away with the access hole.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmm..........it just dawned on me that there might be a grommet/hole in both sides of the stock?.......pics above show the hole in the left side and also in the right side.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmmm..........it just dawned on me that there might be a grommet/hole in both sides of the stock?.......pics above show the hole in the left side and also in the right side.
View Quote

Yep. Access holes to drive the pin in and out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is I'll I've got.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/GKCF/Internet%20photos/607collage_zpsapfwxrvz.jpg

Looks like it's grey so, I'd go with either anodized aluminum or parkerized steel.

Best bet on what it is, is an opening to knock out the locking pin for quick removal of the stock. Unlike our 607 replicas, the originals just used a dowel pin hammered through the locking rod. No set screws holding it in place or anything fancy. They probably decided it was best if you couldn't remove it in the field and did away with the access hole.
View Quote

Thanks never knew grommet was on both sides. More work to do on my clone of that prototype 607 clone. THIS RETRO FORUM IS GREAT!

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I first thought it was a hole to hold a push pin ,
Like on a Hk
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Is it me or does the sling swivel stud look much closer to the butt plate on the gromet stocks than on the non gromet models?  

Are there any other pictures out there of these gromet stocks?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it me or does the sling swivel stud look much closer to the butt plate on the gromet stocks than on the non gromet models?  

Are there any other pictures out there of these gromet stocks?
View Quote

Yes, the swivel is closer to the buttplate than on "newer" 607 stocks. I like the looks of it closer to the plate.......it's more balanced looking if you ask me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree. I am interested to see one of these built. It's on my list, but pretty far down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#12]
double tap
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting, I've never noticed that before.  These two repro stocks don't have it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting, I've never noticed that before.  These two repro stocks don't have it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e326/packinheavy/20150509_154140_zpsbnblvdfw.jpg

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Yeah, the two stocks in your picture are not repops of "early" 607 stocks.  Those appear to be TSI stocks as you can see the receiver plate in the pic.....meaning they are "bolt on" stocks, not pin-on versions. Only the very earliest 607 prototypes seem to have the hole in the side of the stock, as later examples must have used a different method to assemble the stock/locking mechanism.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Love the wisdom and willingness to help on this site.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top