Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 10:46:30 AM EDT
I looked in the database section and found 1 entry of a '76 with no markings on the FSB, but all others entries for years before and after had some type of forgings/markings on the FSB. As such I am a bit confused.

I am looking to buy this rifle that is purported to be all original but there are no marks at all on the FSB. Can you all tell me if its possible or likely that a 1976 SP1 rifle had no markings on the FSB? All the other markings/stamps/forgings check out, its just the FSB that has me scratching my head.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Tall
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I looked in the database section and found 1 entry of a '76 with no markings on the FSB, but all others entries for years before and after had some type of forgings/markings on the FSB. As such I am a bit confused.

I am looking to buy this rifle that is purported to be all original. Can you all tell me if its possible or likely that a 1976 SP1 rifle had no markings on the FSB? All the other markings/stamps/forgings check out, its just the FSB that has me scratching my head.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Tall
View Quote

I am not sure about a 1976 SP1, but my 1977 SP1 does have markings on the FSB. There is a "C" on the right side where the drain hole is and there is a "M" on the right side of the gas port. This coincides with the "C M" on the upper. The barrel is marked "C MP CHROME BORE".
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Still trying to get some more feedback whether or not this is an original configuration (no Forge marks on FSB).
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else? Id appreciate any feedback on an SP1 FSB with no forge marks.

I want to buy this rifle but am in a holding pattern not knowing if its all original.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tall
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My 1975 SP1 has a "C" on the right side above the drain hole and and the Bell on the right side of the gas port. My barrel is marked "C MP Chrome Bore" as well.

Mine is in the 50,XXX range, so I do not have the "C" "M" marking on the right side of my upper receiver,
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
one last bump

Anyone else? Does the fact it has no forge marks on the FSB rule it out from being original?

THX
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
one last bump

Anyone else? Does the fact it has no forge marks on the FSB rule it out from being original?

THX
View Quote

What are the markings on the barrel?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen the forge marks so vague that they almost look non existant.

I think it was from using the frorge die so long that it got worn out.

Pics would help a bunch and +2 on the barrel markings.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen some where the bell and c are very hard to see, they don't rise up much from the surface.  Do you have pics?  You can shine a flashlight on it from different sides to help show the contours.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen some where the bell and c are very hard to see, they don't rise up much from the surface.  Do you have pics?  You can shine a flashlight on it from different sides to help show the contours.
View Quote

Early upper on a late lower?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top